Venus Bike Trap (Bmw lock)

rocky burns

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mid wales Where roads were built for bikes
Going back a while ago I came up with an idea of building a BMW Motorcycle lock (initially for the water cooled Gsa) But with a couple of alterations it will now fit 1150 to the newest water cooled bikes.
I still have to try it on the standard Gs but have no reason why it will not fit.

Since then I've been adjusting some bits on it and have come up with a final product that is ready to go to market.

The lock is laser cut from 10mm steel and has 4 x 8mm ground anchors to hold it to the garage floor.( These are tamper proof as 2 are under the rear wheel)

It has a set of centre stand location plates which are also screwed to the ground to enable the bike to sit in the same position every time it is mounted.

There is a 30mm centre pin which locates into an outer 38mm pin, powder coated and covered with heat shrink (so as not to damage the hole in the final drive)

The Hinge system allows for the bike clamp to be opened as to not catch the final drive, It can also be dismantled for storage (but once bolted to the floor is tamper proof.

Its not light and weighs in at 25 Kilos ( so built to last ) :D

I put it on my brothers Gsa Tc earlier today so it can be seen doing its job, the feet on the centre stand are slightly different on the older bikes( I have designed some different feet for these but are not made up as yet.

Just in the stages of getting the website off the ground ( www.venusbiketrap.co.uk )

The waiting time will be around the 3 week mark, as I don't want to go mad on orders at the moment

RRP will be £249 on UKGSER to include postage to Uk only addresses

You will receive
1 x Venus Bike Trap
1 x pair of centre stand feet with 4 x Screws (These will have to be specified as to what age bike)
1 x Lock (with Keys)
4 X ground anchor Bolts

Well done Rocky. Are you aware of the Anti-pinch Pin System from Pragmasis? The latter is also a very neat, effective and well engineered solution that can be tailored for GSAs.

dave

QUOTE=rocky burns;4806987]A few pictures from the build.......

[/QUOTE]

:clap:bow:clap:bow:clap.....now that is a piece of workmanship. Good luck with the potential sales, i think you may have hit on something here.

Sorry, I don't get it.

If its not bolted to the ground, then someone could still walk off with your bike. Dragging all that lot behind, or worse still, rotate it around to the top and strap it to the rear subframe with their trouser belt and then it'd be totally out of the way.

If it is bolted to the ground, how the hell do you line it all up to work? That'll be some pretty accurate marksmanship getting your rear wheel in just the right place at 90 degree's to the locking shaft, especially using the centre stand. Looks like there is pretty much zero room for error, and if you don't get it right, it's the whole bike that has to be moved around. Could be a real pain in the ass that.

Putting that aside, the pad lock is nowhere near sufficient as it's too basic. It'd be vulnerable to lock picking (if someone could be bothered).

Can you provide answers to the above concerns?

(Apart from that it looks like a well put together piece of kit)

I don't get it.

If its not bolted to the ground, then some could still walk off with your bike. Dragging all that lot behind the bike.

If it is bolted to the ground, how the hell do you line it all up to work?

That'll be some pretty acurate marksmanship especially on a center stand.

I think the bit that says

It has a set of centre stand location plates which are also screwed to the ground to enable the bike to sit in the same position every time it is mounted.

explains how it works. You just have to get the centre stand located on those plates each time. :thumb

I think the bit that says

explains how it works. You just have to get the centre stand located on those plates each time. :thumb

Yeah, I get that, but when you put pressure on your centre stand to lift the bike, it goes up and onto the stand with a lot of weight behind it. Often rocking about once it's up.

If all that weight is misaligned (even by an inch) it'll be your drive shaft smacking straight into the vertical plates. That's a lot of 'fingers crossed' :D

I'd love to see it being demo'd in an unedited video clip :popcorn

Anyways, Good Luck :beerjug:

Yeah, I get that, but when you put pressure on your centre stand to lift the bike, it goes up and onto the stand with a lot of weight behind it. Often rocking about once it's up.

If all that weight is misaligned (even by an inch) it'll be your drive shaft smacking straight into the vertical plates. That's a lot of 'fingers crossed' :D

I'd love to see it being demo'd in an unedited video clip :popcorn

Anyways, Good Luck :beerjug:

Ah look..... A picture from the original one I built.

Not as stupid as I look hey?? :D:D :thumb

Ah look..... A picture from the original one I built.

Not as stupid as I look hey?? :D:D :thumb

Ahh, now that's bloody brilliant haha :beerjug:

Now it's looking like a solution :D

(what I do like about it, is that you've hidden the mounting bolts underneath the rear wheel. That's good)

Looks the business. If I lived in a dodgy part of the U.K. Like that there London or similar, I would be up for one, just for the peace of mind and to sleep at night.

I hope you have a real winner on your hands, and sell lots.....:beerjug:

You've got skills. That looks very good.
What's the pin made of?
Is it hardened?

It's engineers bar which is harder than mild steel so is the 4mm external bar. You can't get in there to cut it without cutting off the shroud. I've tried to cover all angles to make it difficult as possible to the hand held cutting tools.

It's engineers bar which is harder than mild steel so is the 4mm external bar. You can't get in there to cut it without cutting off the shroud. I've tried to cover all angles to make it difficult as possible to the hand held cutting tools.
What about on the other side, next to the bevel?

What about on the other side, next to the bevel?

Same again really. It's tight against the hub. You can't slide the bike over as it's against the hinge covers on the other side. You will have to cut the hub or the backing plate and bar.
It's not totally indestructible, but what is ? if someone comes along with a sthill saw. But it's going to take some hacking at with a 4 inch battery grinder.
It's a case of slowing thieves down and trying to stop impulse theft.

Back
Top Bottom