Tank range GS vs GSA

Jonjo

Reaction score
I'm racking up 600 miles a week at the moment.

That means three / four fuel stops a week on my 2004 R1200GS as I get approx 200 per tank.

Mainly motorway, some country blasts - usual commute, leisure and fun all done on the bike.

Man maths says to me if I upgrade/swap to an adventure i'll spend half the amount of time at a fuel station.

What is the range of a 2004 - 2008 GSA?

The reality is your talking about changing a bike for 1 extra fuel stop per week - or about 5 minuets?

Are you sure it's the stops that are bothering you and you just don't want to admit you fancy another bike for a change?

Something to think about?

James

I always used to say a GS range was fine, as I'd be ready for a break after around 160 miles and combine it with a fuel stop- now I've got a 2010 twin cam.... brimmed it in Dover, rode from Dunkirk to Ypres, then to Bastogne in Belgium, then back nearly to Arras. Filled it up and got home. so nearly 900 miles on 3 tanks ..... and now I'm convinced the greater range is the way forward ;)

The reality is your talking about changing a bike for 1 extra fuel stop per week - or about 5 minuets?

Are you sure it's the stops that are bothering you and you just don't want to admit you fancy another bike for a change?

James

I'll always fancy a bike change - but i'm looking for a way to justify it ;)

James

That xtra range is important to me. I get 5 days coumuteing to work not 3. There isn't a filling station on my route. JJH

Remember - your speedo is typically 7-8% high, so true mileage will be commensurately less.

Al

Speedo might read a tad high but I don't think it's true of the distance recording. I have found my mileometrs to be quite correct. It's 45 km to work and that's what all the bikes cars and busses I've driven over the last 21 years seem to agree with. I keep a good eye on my mileage. The distance to empty now that tells porkies. JJH

If you go touring in foreign lands, the GSA makes finding a fuel stop less of a concern, perhaps even a source of contentment.

Others in your riding group will begin to worry about refuelling long before you will. Carrying a syphon hose can also be handy if one of them runs out and you still have about half a tankful remaining and a few miles to the next petrol stop.

Finding petrol on a Sunday morning in small town rural France might be interesting.

On my recent euro trip, I was getting an average of 11.6 miles per litre out of the GSA, which equates to 382 miles to a tank...a mix of speeds.

Whichever lucky person buys mine will be enjoying may miles from a single tank of fuel :D

I went from an '07 GS to a '12 GSA. Yes 300+ miles from a tank is very doable but that is also an additional 13 litres ~13kg in weight, plus the extra mass of the bigger tank. I found that the extra mass really changed the handling compared to the GS, I didn't gel with it and am now back on a '14 GS LC, which gets better mileage than the old 07.

So have a think/test ride before you buy, the extra mass may not bother you but it did me.

13 liters of petrol dosent weigh 13 kilos. You didn’t have to fill the tank anyway. The difference in handling more lightly was the fact that the bike is taller. I have had gs and gsa bikes and could not notice any difference between a ful tank or empty. Probably because I’m 110 kilos. I love the gsa and the range. I was getting 56 mpg on the Wild Atlantic Way riding with my brother on his 700 deauville (65 mpg). I was carrying a pillion and had 2 side boxes and a topbox. Normally I get 51 mpg. JJH

Back
Top Bottom