TFT screen and Bluetooth

Scala up to date, also wiped clean before attempting. Also tried scala rider connection before and after phone, still no joy.

In the U.K. dealers are only carrying out the update if you report problems with it

Are you missing out on functionality if you don’t get the update? :nenau I ask as I’m due the 600 miles service, therefore should I ask for it to be done?

Update done last thursday, and extensively tested this past Easter long w-e.

In addition to all the cool new software bells and whistle, I am happy to report that yes, Bluetooth issues are a thing of the past, at least for my setup. Still haven't figured out how to get Nav6 voice prompts in the mix, but can live w/o.

I also notices major improvement in GSAP and fuel economy. GSAP way smoother from low gears up... only time it's still jerky is 1->2 but still a lot less than before and almost acceptable at the right rev range, very impressed!!!!
Fuel economy : Previously, my calculated range after a fill up was set at an hardcoded 261 km, now it displays something more in line with my previous average consumption (320-340 km). In addition, it might be just an impression but I could swear the bike does use less fuel, maybe some fine tuning happened behind the scenes... I was previously pretty disappointed by my range, in spite of the 20lt tank, not anymore!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!

Are you missing out on functionality if you don’t get the update? :nenau I ask as I’m due the 600 miles service, therefore should I ask for it to be done?

YES, big time.... Just pretend the bluetooth doesn't work or that your screen goes blank sometimes, you DO NOT WANT to pass up on that update!

Not sure if you are missing out. My pal had his updated and did not improve connectivity at all. I’m getting mine done as it’s frozen up a couple of times. Will report back if it improves the connectivity issues but I’m not hopeful

WORD OF WARNING REGARDING UPDATE

It’s not clear what the three hour update is supposed to achieve and certainly my local dealer is unable to throw any light on it. What they are clear about is that upto 25% of the bikes being updated will result in a total crash of the existing TFT unit rendering it completely useless. In these cases the bike will be off the road while they order a complete new unit to replace the crashed one.

Rollmops, what bluetooth setup do you have, phone etc ?

iPhone X
BMW Communication System / System 7 (wonder wheels works on any screen to adjust volume where it's not used to select a menu item).

Previously, had a lot of bluetooth issues(no pairing, loss of connection etc...), with this setup, or with my previous combo (iPhone 7plus / Schuberth C3pro SRS pro), where it was even worse with missing sound from phone calls.

I don't think there is a definitive bugfix list or patch notes re this update, but from my own experience, here is what it did on my bike:

To note : my bike has been booked specifically for this update last Thursday, and had previously undergone the first service (bike had close to 6000km)

-Improved bt connection stability, reliability and pairing time (went from headset not pairing 1/3 of the time to connecting faultlessly).
-Cosmetic changes and transition animation between screens (incl. minor icon / icon-backgrounds touch up and subtle color changes, most noticeably the Hill Start Assist icon color, now white / green, and was previously orange if i'm not mistaken).
-Ability to customize Riding PRO modes via a slick new interface.
-Additions to the media playback (possibility to browse your collection based on artists, albums and song names etc...).
-Changes to the way fuel gauge or tire pressure monitor display data (more precision in both cases).
-My TFT would randomly not light up at power on. Everything was working but the TFT would display no image at all, but I could still start music and stuff using menus in headless mode. Never happened once since the update, and I rode about 200-300 km each day since, turning the bike on and off a lot of times in the course of this long w-e.

In addition to all that(and it may not be connected at all, not sure if other updates were performed at the same time), I noticed meaningful improvements in fuel economy(bike went to 290-300km to empty to about 350km, with a similar riding style and conditions) and GSAP smoothness in low gears. Previously it was too jerky to comfort and I was using the clutch for 1->2 and 2->3. Not anymore, albeit there is still some jerkyness at times, but overall way smoother.

thanks for the detail
what is the latest software version?
thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All BMW equipment is guaranteed to work with the TFT, so you shouldn’t have any issues there.

Latest TFT Kombi version : 001_015_060

All BMW equipment is guaranteed to work with the TFT, so you shouldn’t have any issues there.

That was my rationale when I picked a BMW helmet, but before the update, it was suffering from the same crippling bluetooth issues as other brands. And to this day, it's still impossible, or at least not intuitive, to have the NAV 6 added to the mix and play nice with the setup. If I try to connect the headset to the GPS, I lose the connection to the Kombi, and if I try to connect the GPS to my phone, then the phone doesn't connect to the Kombi anymore.... So... guaranteed to work, my arse...

Maybe I need to wait for BMW to offer a phone? ;-)

That was my rationale when I picked a BMW helmet, but before the update, it was suffering from the same crippling bluetooth issues as other brands. And to this day, it's still impossible, or at least not intuitive, to have the NAV 6 added to the mix and play nice with the setup. If I try to connect the headset to the GPS, I lose the connection to the Kombi, and if I try to connect the GPS to my phone, then the phone doesn't connect to the Kombi anymore.... So... guaranteed to work, my arse...

Maybe I need to wait for BMW to offer a phone? ;-)
thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That is the software version that was installed on my bike when I picked it upon the 9th March. I thought BMW were issuing a new release at the end of March :nenau

Bob

That is the software version that was installed on my bike when I picked it upon the 9th March. I thought BMW were issuing a new release at the end of March :nenau

Bob

Yeah, this update version has been floating around for some time now, but some markets and dealership only got it end of March. It seems that an earlier widespread tentative was prevented by numerous reports of the update bricking about 20% of the bikes they were installed on. In such cases, the TFT unit is totally unable to recover and they need to ship a new unit.

Even when the update doesn't breaks, it seems fairly common for the process to need more than one attempt, and it takes around 2 hours when it runs uninterrupted.

So, Just paired my samsung S7 to the TFT.
Then my Scala Q3 headset. (have to turn on headset before bike for it to connect)
Nav & Media work, That said,Cant adjust volume....
Phone shows phonebook content, Try to make call...... nothing.
Does this mean I have to connect the Nav V to my phone too ?
Thanks in advance.

Yeah, this update version has been floating around for some time now, but some markets and dealership only got it end of March. It seems that an earlier widespread tentative was prevented by numerous reports of the update bricking about 20% of the bikes they were installed on. In such cases, the TFT unit is totally unable to recover and they need to ship a new unit.

Even when the update doesn't breaks, it seems fairly common for the process to need more than one attempt, and it takes around 2 hours when it runs uninterrupted.

Mine was in for the first service yesterday. Apparently there is a newer version of software available but as I was in at 13:30, and it can take two or three hours to do the update (if it works first time) and, as I need my bike over the next couple of weeks, I chose to defer it until I return from a trip to Scotland at the end of the month.

My bike, has the latest software.
I've deleted all connections now. It doesn't work.
Oh well. Looks pretty :mad:

I'v posted this elsewhere, but seems to make sense to pop it in this thread too as there was a lot of talk here;

"I've just received my GS Rallye back from the dealers having its firmware update......

2zdw0pj.jpg

Connected iPhone X to TFT.
Connected Sena 20s to TFT.

Music, album art (not that it interests me) and phone calls all functioning!

I've noticed that the phone call timer stops at 00:01 seconds!! Doesn't keep counting up!!!

Do you guys use the BMW Motorrad Connected App?

I can't get the app to connect to my bike so it doesn't register my journeys I can't navigate through it.....

Anyone else had this?"

Thanks to Nige, I will try opening the app first :)

I'v posted this elsewhere, but seems to make sense to pop it in this thread too as there was a lot of talk here;

"I've just received my GS Rallye back from the dealers having its firmware update......

2zdw0pj.jpg

Connected iPhone X to TFT.
Connected Sena 20s to TFT.

Music, album art (not that it interests me) and phone calls all functioning!

I've noticed that the phone call timer stops at 00:01 seconds!! Doesn't keep counting up!!!

Do you guys use the BMW Motorrad Connected App?

I can't get the app to connect to my bike so it doesn't register my journeys I can't navigate through it.....

Anyone else had this?"

Thanks to Nige, I will try opening the app first :)

When I paired my iPhone up to the TFT the app didn’t work. Tried deleting pairings etc and it didn’t work. I deleted the app and reinstalled, this time I allowed the app to access my location as “always” (which I never do) and repaired everything.
It works now but I need to open the app before turning on the bike and leave it on always having location access. If I switch the app location permissions to only when using the app it won’t connect with the bike. Maybe it’s my phone or a bug in the app.

Ok mate I'll defo try that.... It used to work pre update!!
Thanking you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom