TFT screen and Bluetooth

After my TFT was updated I followed the advice for order of pairing from the U-tube video :
'BMW Motorcycle TFT withNav VI
and Headset setup and use'.
by WheelSpin Productions.
even though the guy on the video had a Sena headset and I-Phone linked to his TFT and Nav VI and I have Packtalk Bold headset, Samsung Galaxy S8, TFT, Nav VI
the explanation of everything from 40 mins onward in the video is very easy to follow even for a Luddite fat tosser like me.
Every thing works perfectly every time : make sure bluetooth on phone is on, set volume on phone to max, turn on headset, start bike, within 20 seconds everything pairs up and works as it should. Starting the bike last seems to be important bit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

40 minutes into video is where the pairing up bit starts.
d407886a5b15308bfcf919e00e62eb64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mines going into the dealer next week as my TFT refuses to "remember" it's pairings. I haven't even reached the stage of dropping connections, bad audio blah blah. Almost everytime I come to use the bike it says it has no pairings. BMW say they've never seen this before and no idea where to start.

I had mine upgraded in late May and it’s 021_004_040

interested to know if the new update was any use? Im still on the _180 software and ive got it booked in at Williams Manchester on thursday so hoping that will solve my issues, just found it weird how it all worked fine once but then never again

Well I the crappy headset thatI'd had problems with died just before the upgrade so I'll never know. I've also got a Shoei SRl and that's always been fine and continues to be so.

Williams Manchester have had mine for a week now and need to keep it for another week. They have experienced the problem themselves with a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, BMW UK wanted them to do another software upgrade which came out last week. Apparently nothng to do with Bluetooth or the dash but they have to do it anyway. They said if they can't recreate the problem again this week they'll have to give it back to me and assume that it's "the software on my iPhone causing the problem". *sigh*

My problem isn't that it's dropping connection with the TFT, but more fundamental that the TFT appears to be "forgetting" that it's been paired to anything. If I look in the Connections part of the menu it lists no devices and it also says there is nothing to delete when I choose the option to Delete Connections.

I'm slightly irritated by the potential outcome, I work in IT, this problem is right in my field of expertise but I also understand Williams can only do what BMW UK tell them.

But I've tried pairing 3 different phones to the dash (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 8, OnePlus 7T), each time I reset everything and pair it from scratch. Come out a day or more later and it fails to connect and the dash thinks it's got no connections. I've also paired 2 headsets to the bike and they also get "forgotten".

Williams as I said have seen the problem themselves with an Android device. So quite why BMW think it's ok to blame my iPhone for something that it has no control over is beyond me. I know how bluetooth protocol and pairing works so I know it's not my phone. Plus I've done enough diagnosis to prove that.

It's frustrating as it isn't fundamentally stopping me from using the bike, but bluetooth pairing has been a solid technology for years. I wouldn't mind so much if my problems were disconnections, crackly audio etc but the bike can't even do the funamental thing of remembering it's connections.

Williams said when they saw the problem, they turned the bike off for 2 minutes and turned it back on and it suddenly remembered it's pairings and connected. If this is true (I've tried this and no success) then I don't accept it to be a "workaround".

Back
Top Bottom