TFT screen and Bluetooth

R1200GSAPilot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bluetooth is an open protocol. What I want to know is...

If I spend the extra on the TFT communications option (£595), have BMW done some trickery which means I'll have to budget for a new BMW helmet too to use the features?

In either case, would the BMW helmet comms yield any extra functionality?

Of course BMW use their own 'special' Bluetooth.

Ever tried getting their built in headset to connect with a Scala, madness will beckon.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

i honestly think that a fancy TFT, virtual dash has no place on a motorbike, they look hideous with an ipad like device stuck on front of the bike, id go with a rock solid company like sena for connectivity, stick it on any helmet that suits you..had it 8 yrs never let me down

The Bosch system is open which is what we are dealing with here but BMW may have done something. There is a post round here saying their dealer said it was open but to be honest what do dealers know most of the time!
As to Bluetooth being open, yes right! I will put money on it that even if there aren't restrictions some phones will fail to pair properly. Phone manufacturers like to put their own little twists on things which very often causes havoc.

i honestly think that a fancy TFT, virtual dash has no place on a motorbike, they look hideous with an ipad like device stuck on front of the bike, id go with a rock solid company like sena for connectivity, stick it on any helmet that suits you..had it 8 yrs never let me down

Got to agree with the OP here, you should be looking out for the cagers who want to kill you, instead of looking at a mini Ipad on a 1200GS, once im on the road only have a quick glance at the speedo now and again, so why would I need an Ipad mini, and all the software bugs that will surely come with it later.

Your missing the point that this replaces the nav units as well which thousands of people already have on their bikes. It's an all in one solution instead of different bits all over the place. Working properly this system has the potential to cause less distraction than multiple devices sitting in front of you.

Your missing the point that this replaces the nav units as well which thousands of people already have on their bikes. It's an all in one solution instead of different bits all over the place. Working properly this system has the potential to cause less distraction than multiple devices sitting in front of you.

i think you are way off the mark sugesting the tft replaces nav units,the dash will have basic arrow type instructions.

What more do you need while driving? Set it in your phone, get on bike, phone connects and you get voice prompts and arrows. Under no circumstances should you be looking at detailed maps while driving.

My question wasn't about the pros and cons of a TFT screen. All the folk (including me), who use Sat Navs, have had TFT screens in front of them for years.
I don't find it a distraction because I'm in charge and look at it only when it's safe to do so.

The new screen is very clear and focussed for the task in hand with the minimum of clutter. It's not for everyone, but try and buy a new non TFT BMW in 5 years.

My question was about the BT and the cynics (nothing wrong with that), have the same concerns I have. What I want to know from the first person who owns one is....will an iPhone and a Sena work, or should I save my money and not bother with the comms option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is an open protocol but as with android there are different versions [v 5 out shortly],it can be supplied modified by vendors and not all connection types may be included in each device.Hence the difficulty sometimes of getting things to connect together.

My question wasn't about the pros and cons of a TFT screen. All the folk (including me), who use Sat Navs, have had TFT screens in front of them for years.
I don't find it a distraction because I'm in charge and look at it only when it's safe to do so.

The new screen is very clear and focussed for the task in hand with the minimum of clutter. It's not for everyone, but try and buy a new non TFT BMW in 5 years.

My question was about the BT and the cynics (nothing wrong with that), have the same concerns I have. What I want to know from the first person who owns one is....will an iPhone and a Sena work, or should I save my money and not bother with the comms option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All I can say for sure is these items work on the new KTM bikes which is the same Bosch system. Whether BMW has messed with it or not, nobody here will know until it has been released and tested.

No, a TFT display has no place on *your* motorbike.

Got to agree with the OP here, you should be looking out for the cagers who want to kill you, instead of looking at a mini Ipad on a 1200GS, once im on the road only have a quick glance at the speedo now and again, so why would I need an Ipad mini, and all the software bugs that will surely come with it later.

"Cagers" ergh. Get over yourself. Also there is no such thing as a quick glance at a GS speedo. Why do you think so many people buy the Nav? Easy to read speedo because the clocks on the GS are awful.

Got to agree with the OP here, you should be looking out for the cagers who want to kill you, instead of looking at a mini Ipad on a 1200GS, once im on the road only have a quick glance at the speedo now and again, .

I think thats the point about the new displays... They are easier/faster to read ! :blast

What more do you need while driving? Set it in your phone, get on bike, phone connects and you get voice prompts and arrows. Under no circumstances should you be looking at detailed maps while driving.

I will take the lane guidance on a modern satnav over a basic left or right arrow anytime.

I will take the lane guidance on a modern satnav over a basic left or right arrow anytime.
Given its a basic graphic I can't see why it wouldn't. Anyway the OP is right this isn't about how good bad or indifferent it is and your personal preference, it is about will it work with his kit.

Given that the panel needs to be paired to an Android or IOS phone running a BMW app in order to provide anything more than the basic instrument functionality, then it is likely to be pretty compatible generally with most Bluetooth implementations. I think the question is therefore whether BMW have enhanced (crippled) the headset interface so that it only works with the BMW headset, or being more charitable just failed to ensure that controls (such as jog wheel and buttons on Sena) can properly operate advanced functions on the display. Maybe the wonderwheel provides all the interaction you need, so the headset only has to act as mic and speakers.

No, a TFT display has no place on *your* motorbike.

"Cagers" ergh. Get over yourself. Also there is no such thing as a quick glance at a GS speedo. Why do you think so many people buy the Nav? Easy to read speedo because the clocks on the GS are awful.

OP is right on this my mistake I meant looking at NAV not speedo.

Yes, Yes, Yes

But can you have it retro-fitted to existing bikes....

Back
Top Bottom