G650GS - Factory Lowered vs DIY Lowered

Elle

Reaction score
I'm struggling to find information online & hope this forum can help :beerjug:

How would a factory lowered G650GS 2015 model differ from a standard height model with a lowering kit fitted?

I once owned a F650GS twin (standard height with a lowered seat) which was fine most of the time but a slightly awkward camber would make it a scary stretch. Still want to ride the occasional dirt / gravel trail, so the G650 seems a good choice but a lower version may suit me better.

Koubalinks will lower a standard bikes rear suspension 1'' or 2'' if it's a Sertao/Dakar

The factory lowered G650 has shorter fork stanchions, rear shock and a shorter side stand as well but it's not as low as the F650GS FL(factory lowered) as my missus found out.

To lower the front of the bike you can also raise the fork stanchions up through the lamps but not too much as this can affect the bikes handling.

Our G650GS was converted into a trike as Mrs P found it too much of a struggle to ride after a few years as she's only 5' tall although her previous F650GS single FL wasn't a problem

FP.

Hey up Elle - long time no see on here.
Only conclusion I have come to re- lowering kit is YES its now lower, but your suspension ratio with the levers have been altered and therefore made need altering. You can of course drop the front end a tadge ( through the fork clamps as well as some off the seat. Those X country bike get good reviews and as long as it aint really rough terrain I am sure you could get just about anywhere most folks want to go. Also dropping lowering the bike, dont forget can alter the side stands working.
HTHY

Thanks for the replies, shame I can't :thumby: each one.

Hey up Elle - long time no see on here.
Only conclusion I have come to re- lowering kit is YES its now lower, but your suspension ratio with the levers have been altered and therefore made need altering. You can of course drop the front end a tadge ( through the fork clamps as well as some off the seat. Those X country bike get good reviews and as long as it aint really rough terrain I am sure you could get just about anywhere most folks want to go. Also dropping lowering the bike, dont forget can alter the side stands working.
HTHY

Hi, yes, I don't get much time to log in these days & being ont'other side of the world means my options for bike ownership are limited. The XCcountry is like rocking horse poo, in 3 years, I've only ever seen 1 for sale but never seen one on the road :comfort

I'm struggling to find information online & hope this forum can help :beerjug:

How would a factory lowered G650GS 2015 model differ from a standard height model with a lowering kit fitted?

I once owned a F650GS twin (standard height with a lowered seat) which was fine most of the time but a slightly awkward camber would make it a scary stretch. Still want to ride the occasional dirt / gravel trail, so the G650 seems a good choice but a lower version may suit me better.

Hi Elle
Rhyna has a 2001 F650GS standard height with a lowered seat.
You are welcome to pop over and try that if its any use, its a bit different but might be help.
We are in Eastbourne across the Harbour.

Adrian

Hi Elle
Rhyna has a 2001 F650GS standard height with a lowered seat.
You are welcome to pop over and try that if its any use, its a bit different but might be help.
We are in Eastbourne across the Harbour.
Adrian

Hi Adrian
That would great, thank you! :beerjug:
I sat on a lowered 650 single a few weeks back which was easy to touch the floor so having a sit on a standard model will be a great comparison.
I'm in the process of packing to move to Woodridge so it'll be a couple of weekends away. My subscription has expired & I can't send a private message - can you send me your mobile?

Hi Elle
Best deal direct with Rhyna as its her bike.
You can text or call 0272318059 or mine is 0274437028
I grew up in Newlands, I dont know if Woodridge is part of Newlands or not.

Adrian

Cheers Adrian, will be in touch. Woodridge is a suburb further up the hill from Newlands

Back
Top Bottom