Speedometer problem

keymandave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2005 1200 gs

After travelling about 15 - 20 miles today my speedo started flickering.

I stopped to check all connections that I could and it was at this time I noticed my rear brake switch shield had jammed the rear brake light on.

I'm not sure if the 2 are connected, however I have removed the shield and my brake light is working normally. The speedo is still not working. Occasionally I get some movement but not accurate.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

I have the later model with no rear brake light switch, but the master cylinder is similar.

Flickering speedo is usually a connection problem from the sender. The pick up sensor is a transistor chip so seems to work or not work. Check connections first and check there are no chafed wires alongside the battery.

Thanks very much for all help so far.
So am I correct in thinking the pick up sensor is the ABS sensor I'm the rear drive.

It has had the ABS bypassed 12 months ago.

OK servoectomy,

On a "normal" bike if the rear abs / speed sensor fails it will switch to the front sensor ...

it appears servoectomised ones dont. ;)

step 1)

Remove seat & tool tray, and examine state of abs sensor connector under seat.

Clean with contact cleaner

Step 2)

If the above dosent cure the problem, remove the sensor in the rear hub, and check for debris on sensor -
(it creates a magnetic field, so attracts metal crud in the hub oil)

Clean it and replace - check for normal operation ...

if neither of the above cure it, it would sound like the ABS sensor has failed.

£50 for a replcement on the bay i think

Thank you very much. This has been extremely helpful. I will check it all tomorrow

I replaced my sensor with a new (used) sensor. A year later it's gone again. BUT, it didn't just stop working as we'd expect with an electronic device. I suspect its a wiring fault. I've checked the loom where it runs alongside the battery. All ok but wires do get chafed in there. I've cleaned the connector contacts (not yet tested). Last job is to splice in a new wire close to the sensor and close to the connector. If that also fail's I'll have to accept the electronics fail in strange ways.

Cost about £100 new or £50 used. It's a total rip off for what they are but we are over a barrel, etc.

Ok, I went to investigate tonight. I found where the wire leaves the sensor it is meant to be in a little clip. My wire had come out off this clip and been rubbing on the disc. Eventually rubbed through. Ive repaired and soldered the wires at the moment and it is working but I think I will get a new one.

Thanks for all the help once again

Ok, I went to investigate tonight. I found where the wire leaves the sensor it is meant to be in a little clip. My wire had come out off this clip and been rubbing on the disc. Eventually rubbed through. Ive repaired and soldered the wires at the moment and it is working but I think I will get a new one.

Thanks for all the help once again

Dibs on the original if the price is right :)

Hi,
Ive fitted a second hand one. Only because I didn't like the idea off it being repaired. I will keep hold off it though, as I can always use it in an emergency, or to help diagnose that part if ever the situation arises.

Back
Top Bottom