BMW Crash Bars

Hates_

Reaction score
Ordered the BMW Crash Bars to be fitted before picking up the bike but seems they are on back order and I've been told that they will probably take a month to get in. Before I cancel my order does anyone know how they fair compared to the AltRider ones? I saw that AltRider's go perfectly with their extended skid plate as well as offering a Triple Black colour scheme.

Opinion seems pretty split from what I can see, people say the BMW bars are better because they bend and take for force away from the engine and other say that you shouldn't get engine bars that attach to the frame like the AltRiders do.

Another option is to just forego crash bars completely and get head guards, but I'm dubious as to how much protection they offer when the bike is dropped. The X-Head ones look decent though.

Feeling pretty confused at the moment :confused:

Having had my GSA with BMW engine bars blown over in the wind and later dropped my GS at a standstill with X Heads I can confidently say they are both excellent. I can't comment on other engine bars.

GSA - only damage was a tiny 1cm scratch on the bar
GS - Only damage was a slight scrape on the X Head.

Don't discount the X Heads, they really do work!

Having had my GSA with BMW engine bars blown over in the wind and later dropped my GS at a standstill with X Heads I can confidently say they are both excellent. I can't comment on other engine bars.
Are the two compatible with each other?

I believe they are. The X Heads fit pretty flush with the rocker covers and the engine bars have about a fingers' width of clearance to the covers including the rubber supports.

I've had a brand new set on here for sale for weeks with little interest, although I've just sold them yesterday, I'm sure if you ring round other dealers have stock.

Yes, they are. I have both, which I know is overkill. Mine fit very flush (not tight).

You can find support information on the compatibility on the Machine Art website.

I just put the wunderlich Stainless steel upper and lower engine guards, they fit perfectly, if you order do not forget to order the bar that goes through the middle, as it is a seperate order, pic on bike installed below.

Just out of curiosity, how much do the BMW engine bars cost?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I have the touratech upper and lower bars, but they are very expensive, so even though design is very robust... It's hard to recommend them due to eye watering price tag.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

There is / was a shortage, has been for months, My Dealer fitted the engine guards foc so I had the bike on the delivery date, and then fitted the crash bars when they came in around 7 weeks later. They left the guards on as well :) My is just a GS TE not advent, but might be worth a chat to dealer

What model do you have ? BMW crash bars changed on the 2017 spec and have an additional rubber pad on the inside that does not provide enough space for the X-Head without some modification. Check the X-Head site for more details/options. What I did was to file down the pesky rubber pads as a solution instead of using spacers.

There are some SW motech bars for sale on the site and I have a cheap used pair available too.
I curently have the BMW lower bars from a GSA on my TE and both these and the motech ones fit with the X heads as well.

There is / was a shortage, has been for months, My Dealer fitted the engine guards foc so I had the bike on the delivery date, and then fitted the crash bars when they came in around 7 weeks later. They left the guards on as well :) My is just a GS TE not advent, but might be worth a chat to dealer

Same here, ordered the bars with the bike, had them fitted six weeks later when they came in!

What model do you have ? BMW crash bars changed on the 2017 spec and have an additional rubber pad on the inside that does not provide enough space for the X-Head without some modification. Check the X-Head site for more details/options. What I did was to file down the pesky rubber pads as a solution instead of using spacers.

Dealer fitted my crash bars over my xheads - didn't say there was a problem. I don't recall seeing spacers, may be wrong.

The machine art webpage shows the xheads being used on with bmw crash bars that have rubber pads but note that the modified 2017 version just means that the rubber parts are against the xheads.

https://machineartmoto.com/x-head_lc-fitment-with-oem-crash-bars/

I have the SW-Motech and Nippy Normans head protectors on my 2015 GS I dont know if theres a newer version for the 2017

f0470d64b608e0ac7cd62818c23db5a9.png

Back
Top Bottom