Reluctance to start after standing

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Went to start the GS tonight after refitting the rear hub,

its been standing for about 3 weeks

went through the startup sequence and initially started to fire on the button

then is just started cranking, as though it was fuel starved.

I tried again , plenty of cranking but no start... I tried opening the throttle, and i got got the odd rumble.

Turned it off for a few minutes and then tried again, but opened the throttle this time ..

Normal cranking, but then burst into life ....

I let it get warm and stopped it and tried again and it fired up first time ...

Is this normal if there left for some time?

Went to start the GS tonight after refitting the rear hub,

its been standing for about 3 weeks

went through the startup sequence and initially started to fire on the button

then is just started cranking, as though it was fuel starved.

I tried again , plenty of cranking but no start... I tried opening the throttle, and i got got the odd rumble.

Turned it off for a few minutes and then tried again, but opened the throttle this time ..

Normal cranking, but then burst into life ....

I let it get warm and stopped it and tried again and it fired up first time ...

Is this normal if there left for some time?

My ST does just the same occasionally....but not every time its been standing.

Pete

Just left in on a good charge,

went out and it started as normal..

i'll keep an eye on it ;)

Mine takes a while to start if it's been stood for a few weeks. The R1200S bursts into life even if it's stood for 6 months!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It's possible for the starter to pull the system voltage down so the electronics don't deliver fuel. Check the voltage while starter is turning.

Have you tested your battery with an Ammeter?

the more I read about these modern "things" the more they will not "work" unless the battery is very good

It should read 12,5 + ..almost up to 13

anything less than 12v and it's almost dead, i.e 11.9v it's dying and 11.5v it's dead

Mine was dropping close to 10.0V while the starter turned.

New battery is 12.9V with ignition on, drops to 10.5V while starter turns.

Went out tonight, and it started first prod.

battery is fully charged however it may get oddessyfied if it get slower winter time ;)

Mine did that the other day. It lives under a cover, so I guess it was a bit damp. Thought the battery was going to die cranking it, but eventually it fired up and ran like a dream afterwards.
Lots of rain over the past fews days... any bets on it starting tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Get a 4AH JMT LiFePo. 60% of the cost for an Odyssey but 1/5 of the weight with the same starting oomph and no damage if it's left unused for months. Don't be conned by the bigger numbers on the Odyssey. >500 snaps burst current can never be used by the bike so its academic interest only. 14 Amp Hours if it's discharged over 20 hours but in the real world it's only going have 4AH of usable oomph. The JMT gives 240 amps CCA. The Odyssey 200 Amps - both in the range the starter will use.

BTW, I have just replaced an Odyssey (£109) with a JMT for £65.

Sometimes its nothing more than a bit of bad quality petrol, and its worse when the fuel tank is low, its probably nothing, and if it was the battery, it would not have turned over at all after a few attempts.

When I ship bikes to and from the states, they can sit for between 3 to 5 weeks with mimimum fuel.

GS's especially need a bit of cranking to get them back into life especially coming back from the states as their fuel is shite and 10% ethanol. Once running there is no bother.

I suspect it's just a but of dodgy fuel.

My TC often sits for a few weeks in the winter - always starts fine (that said, I always use 'super' fuel).
As others have said, I'd suspect a fuelling issue. You could try pulling a injector and firing it into a jamjar to see if it's got a good spray pattern (unplug the other one ;) )

Mine runs on ordinary petrol, but it's not nice to use. The worst was Morrisons but to be fair it just doesn't;t like 95 RON. Keep it on 97 or 99 and all will be fine.

Went out tonight, and it started first prod.

battery is fully charged however it may get oddessyfied if it get slower winter time ;)

Do a search on here re Harley battery on a GS. Had a new battery on mine 2nd one, for couple of years before it went pop so got the one in the thread. Much cheaper than Oddessy and fits easy so far even stood for a month goes first hit.

Finnly got it out for a run after its 3 week lay up ..

Started both times ok, and is nice and smooth and dosent seem to hit the wall at xx as before... i wonder if that was due in part to the rear diff??

A rear diff seizing up enough to slow the bike would have collapsed pretty damn quick.

A dodgy battery dragging down the system volts could cause all sorts of issues. I've gone for a JMT lithium this time. £65 against £109 for the Odyssey and only £20 more than a Motobatt that won't like standing unused. We'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom