Puncture

Lucky08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New PR4's on Monday, rear puncture on Thursday. Used the stop and go kit to repair it but couldn't get the air man compressor to work off my BMW power outlet.
Consulted the forum and found that the power outlet is capped at 5 amps and the air man needs 10 amp (I think).

Does anyone know if there is a mini compressor out there that works off the BMW outlet?

Grateful for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Wire in a flying lead and / or socket direct to the battery, fused with a 10 amp fuse, if that is indeed the fuse size the Airman requires. Job done.

2. Wire in a socket via a relay. Job done.

3. Do a search on this site for suggestions as to which compressors do not trip the bike's Canbus system. There are many on the topic. Job done.

Here's a sample thread: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...ater-overload-12v-socket?highlight=Compressor

Also see how many posts say the PR4 are puncture prone - I had three in a very short time and then switched to TKC70s. Might be just bad luck, statistics and all that but as nice a tyre as the PR4 is, I got fed up with the hassle and expense.

Yep

I had a puncture in my rear PR4 on the way home from the tire fitters

Had just enough pressure to limp back to the shop, 11km before needing repair, oh well at least he fixed it for free

Appart from that they're great tires

I wired in an optimate lead to the battery... And then got an optimate to cigarette lighter lead. Which I keep with the air compressor.
This solved the issue.
And means I can use a normal optimate charger too.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I was talking to a friend the other day, and was raving about the Tyre Seal, (the original one) he offered it to me as he hires out bikes and uses it on all of his bikes, seems like it is well worth it, and not as messy as people say, seals a hole up to 15mm and they is frigging huge, and lasts the life of the tyre how ever many punctures you get. might be a very good investment for PR4 owners and off roaders.
he has done a few BMW Adventurers

I have one off adv, but I think adventure bike shop sells the same thing under a different name, really small and compact

I have one off adv, but I think adventure bike shop sells the same thing under a different name, really small and compact

As you have given the OP not the slightest clue as to what 'the one off adv' might be called or indeed anything much at all, then followed it up with the vaguest l: 'I think... different name....' your post is about as helpful as a flat tyre.

If you can't be arsed to look, why should the OP be arsed.

This is a bikermate site for 1200 GS owners (WC) variant, they need to be spoon fed all the way.

As you have given the OP not the slightest clue as to what 'the one off adv' might be called or indeed anything much at all, then followed it up with the vaguest l: 'I think... different name....' your post is about as helpful as a flat tyre.

If you can't be arsed to look, why should the OP be arsed.

This is a bikermate site for 1200 GS owners (WC) variant, they need to be spoon fed all the way.

You are right, I apologise profusely, I forget that everyone has to have everything done for them since the birth of the internet. Anyways it's a motopumps air shot

The airman will work when you plug it in the acessory socket without connecting it to your tyre, but as soon as you connect the air lead to the tyre valve the pump motor wants more amps (more than 5amp) as it's working harder.

Just wire a fly lead on to battery tuck it away until needed. sorted :thumb2

I was talking to a friend the other day, and was raving about the Tyre Seal, (the original one) he offered it to me as he hires out bikes and uses it on all of his bikes, seems like it is well worth it, and not as messy as people say, seals a hole up to 15mm and they is frigging huge, and lasts the life of the tyre how ever many punctures you get. might be a very good investment for PR4 owners and off roaders.
he has done a few BMW Adventurers

Not supposed to use this sort of thing if you have tyre pressure monitoring:blast

Here's another, albeit more expensive, option

It's 12v battery should fill a rear tyre from flat and it can be recharged from it's AC converter or the supplied cigar lighter plug - using the latter just for recharging should not challenge the 5v ZFE limit

I have just bought one principally for topping up car and bike tyres but if it works as advertised it will replace my current 12v Stop & Go compressor

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 557
Thanks everyone. I'm going to get an additional hard wired socket with a 20 amp fuse. And hopefully I will have more luck with the PR4s.

Twenty amps is a very big a fuse for a simple mini-compressor.

I'd start with a 10 or even 7.5 amp.

Go into Halfords or similar and buy yourself the cheapest compressor you can find. It will be well under £30.

Take the outer casing off.

You'll be left with a pump that looks all but identical to the thing in MaDProFF's post.

Take care as it will get HOT whilst it compresses air.

Job done (again)

Back
Top Bottom