Dropped F700GS

ArwenX7

Reaction score
So 6 weeks on and I finally dropped it, whoops!

However, glad to say that even without engine bars, dropping it onto a flat surface (reasonably gently) none of the plastics touched the ground, hooray! Pictures for anyone interested in how it balances when dropped. Basically it sits on the peg mounts and handle bar. However if it fell the other way am sure the exhaust would have been scuffed up pretty bad.
Only damage here was a scuffed hand guard.

Amazed you were calm enough to reach for a camera first I'd have had a bout of Tourettes and been trying to get it lifted :blast ... anyway glad the damage is very limited :thumb2

Considering that 1150 GSA wasnt far away, it was probably a relief it didnt fall on that.
Lucky the bars were straight of damage would include the plastics probably.

Amazed you were calm enough to reach for a camera first I'd have had a bout of Tourettes and been trying to get it lifted :blast ... anyway glad the damage is very limited :thumb2

This ^^^^^^^^

I would have looked around first to see if anyone saw me, then worked towards my first hernia by hefting it back up!

I have no idea how I managed to stop it hitting the 1150, but glad it didn't! The mirror hit off the shaft drive bit, but it just spun around rather than causing damage.

It lay like this for over an hour cause I couldn't lift it back up (hence the pictures), had to wait till my other half came home from work... :-( I tried lifting it, but the 1150 was too close for comfort and I figured I may end up doing more damage if I kept trying. So I went and made dinner instead :)

You definately did the right thing. Trying to lift a bike in a confined space like that solo is asking for trouble including you being pinned under/between bikes.

The only way you could potentially lift that solo would be to turn the bars so the front wheel points up in the air then cup you hands under the bars and lift with a straight back, that way your clear of the other bike, but the bike was safe. hope you left it stood up right for a while before starting.

They are tough bikes indeed! My other half dropped hers in the garage a couple of years ago, which in turn fell on to her Fireblade! Which in turn fell on to my LC Adventure :eek:

By the time I attended the scene of the crime I had calmed down considerably. It was not a pretty sight to behold, and quite honestly taking a pic couldn't have been further from my mind at the time.

There was absolutely no damage on the 700GS, about four hundred quids worth to the Fireblade (wing mirror, body panel, bubble screen), and...... a bleeding scratch on the F/N/S crash bar on the GSA :D (which polished out)

I fitted some Puig crash bars good value at £100 and laid the 800 down in the garage to see what touched down the crash bars footrests and handlebars the plastics radiator etc were all safe regardless of handlebar position.

Back
Top Bottom