Tread depth Question

Lozza58

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got 3mm centre depth left on my front PR4 trail. 2500 mile euro tour coming up . Replace or not?

Cheers

Loz

Replace, it'll be right at legal min for uk and probably under for most of eu in another 1,500 miles.

Or you could just write your bike off and cripple yourself for £140; your choice.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Definitely change. I've just done a 2600 from Spain up through France, on a tour, and several folks underestimated the wear and tear their tyres were going to get on the abrasive European roads, not to mention them gritting everywhere, (including hairpin ascents). 3 new tyres had to be fitted whilst out there, and another one, a 3 day old Roadtec 01, suffered a massive impact and was irreparable. Bike was recovered to nearest town where fortunately there was a Kawasaki dealership who replaced it first thing in the morning. JMO

Not as bad as above - I'd say 'touch & go'.........

So - I'd change

I had the same quandry last year................ Change it, otherwise you will spend half your holiday worrying about it, and the other half trying to find one when the canvas is showing.

yes 3mm in centre , more on shoulders. Will change based on responses....just what the forum is for.... thanks for all comments

Loz

Getting tyres in Europe is nowhere near as simple as the UK either. My lad's rear Bridgestone was in shreds (at 3000 miles!) so we thought we'd get it changed as we were around Tarbes for a couple of days. Fat chance! Nearer 4 days :/

A quick google search tells me that 6.7mm is the starting depth... You have 3mm - consuming 3.7mm in the time since you fitted it....

How many miles is It since you fitted it? Let's guess at 3,500. ...

Let's assume you feel comfortable running down to 1mm so you have 2mm left in milage terms...this is giving you 945 miles per mm..... So you have 1,890 miles till you hit 1mm - 2,835 miles until the centre line is smooth....

Me, I'm tight and would probably use the trip to get my moneys worth...

If you are going to Germany you are already at the legal limit, a friend of mine was fined for a worn tyre and it had not reached the wear markers, they are a guide not a law.

Back
Top Bottom