1200gs rear brake...how powerfull it it?

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Stripped and cleaned the rear brake during the rear diff refurb,

Pads are Brembo reds (Copper sintered)

Pistons free and move nicley

everything stripped / greased / lubed as appropriate.

All work, but theres sod all feel at the rear,

I now its slowing the bike, but there is little feedback from the pedal, it goes down,

cant say how much it should be, but its kind of like pressing a non servo brake and

waiting (yes i know it is non servo ;))

Any way to give the set up a bit more bite? adjust the pedal? brake bleed?

Couple of years ago, whilst doing tour at factory it was explained to me that they aren't linked in the true sense and that long travel just on back brake was so that you had better control off road by feathering of rear brake but that if you were using front brake "hard" unlikely off road then it was probably an emergency and therefore wanted full power to stop.

Of course he could have been spinning me a yarn, as a stupid foreigner.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Stripped and cleaned the rear brake during the rear diff refurb,

Pads are Brembo reds (Copper sintered)

Pistons free and move nicley

everything stripped / greased / lubed as appropriate.

All work, but theres sod all feel at the rear,

I now its slowing the bike, but there is little feedback from the pedal, it goes down,

cant say how much it should be, but its kind of like pressing a non servo brake and

waiting (yes i know it is non servo ;))

Any way to give the set up a bit more bite? adjust the pedal? brake bleed?

Will it lock the back wheel? JJH

Couple of years ago, whilst doing tour at factory it was explained to me that they aren't linked in the true sense and that long travel just on back brake was so that you had better control off road by feathering of rear brake but that if you were using front brake "hard" unlikely off road then it was probably an emergency and therefore wanted full power to stop.

Of course he could have been spinning me a yarn, as a stupid foreigner.

Umm, maybe. I've had several GS's and always felt the back brake on it's own was pretty ineffective but in combination with applying the front brake hard I can feel the pedal drop away from my foot and even engage the ABS with hardly any pressure from my foot

Mine are quite soft and have lots of travel, apply front brake and travel shortens appreciably and is hard 'ooh err mrs'.

With my very old R1100r, on track, I deliberately tried lock up front/back with abs on and off.

Although it is a totally different abs system, rear also goes hard just before locking or abs activating.

Last time I had the gsa at knockhill, the abs was active; looks like I need to try it switched off and see what happens.

In abs pro, on the rr; might as well not have a rear brake as it does sfa.

With the ABS switched off I can really feel the lack of back end braking, especially on normal stopping rates. The brake is quite powerful but is worked very hard by the linked system. With ABS on, the fronts are barely warm but back is hot (if not stinking hot). With ABS off the back is cold unless i use the pedal so its working correctly.

Sounds like it needs bleeding some more. Check your master cylinder. If it has the old type thin rubber dust boot its likely to be corroded inside. That will affect bleeding and will eventually jam the brake on.

Back
Top Bottom