About to put my trusty Zumo 220 out to pasture

JonnyBravo

Reaction score
I have had the 220 for a long long time and it has served me very well -

but the graphics are now very poor on the eye and more annoyingly it seems super slow to respond to both touch screen input and when riding its almost as if it cant keep up with the route any more (processor?)
And just recently, I have had to split up some long routes down to Spain as it just wont handle them.
It is running a 2017 map on an SD card.

So, oh knowledgeable ones - where to next?

The newer Garmins seem ridiculously expensive to me - from about £360 to £630
£630 just for a sat nav ???
Someones having a laugh surely

I am wondering if I should now use my samsung S8 ?
I had a play around with some nav apps on it and its screen is very pleasing on the eye and easy to read on the bike but everything seems a bit of a fuck about to get to work if I still use basecamp to plan routes?
at least it is waterproof !

Or - man up, just shut the fuck up, cough up and buy a new Garmin

any input?

your unit in theory should not slow down, (unless you have a very slow sd card ), i would delete all of the files you no longer use off it, and do a factory reset and make sure you have a fast sd card with only the map tiles you intend on using on it, and carry on using it.

Poor graphics might well be the screen or your eyes or indeed both, packing up.

As Lee says, the speed shouldn't slow with age. Try to re-jig it, just as he suggests. If it is still not as you'd like it, sell the old one on Ebay (someone will perhaps buy it, even for a few quid) or bin it and look for a decent second hand device on these pages or elsewhere.

PS The new £650'sh devices are not 'Just GPS devices' any more. They are full-on home entertainment systems in their own right, as posts in this section will attest.

Maybe to unit gets slower as the mapping gets updated. I guess that the latest mapping data contains more information hence more processing power will be needed.

Thanks for the feedback -

Let's factory reset and start afresh - maybe there is life in the old girl yet !

I'm still using a Zumo 220 on my Guzzis, and it's fine. Still running 2012 maps though but that's not a problem as the best riding roads don't change. It hasn't slowed down noticeably, though I agree that the screen is nowhere near as good as the latest Garmins. OK as long as it can be viewed square-on.

Ok -
So after a complete factory reset and completely wiping the sd card then reloading everything to just the card (maps/waypoints/routes etc) we seem to have made a dramatic improvement.

All is good in zumo 220 world and she can plod on for sometime to come.
Off to Spain in 2 weeks and see how it goes.

As an aside and may come in handy for someone.
I added a plug to power the oem power cable from the headstock area a few.monghs ago.
It used to be connected direct to the battery.
After several flat battery incidents and some testing with a battery on a bench I can confirm that the oem 12v to 5v usb bike power lead will flatten the battery through a parasitic drain over a few days even without the zumo 220 connected.
Think it's only applicable to this model.zumo and the bmw canbus

Back
Top Bottom