Using BMW extended warranty abroad

dazcall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience of claiming on your extended warranty whilst in Europe?

My bike was in for the fork recall work then I headed down to Portugal a couple of days later. At some point en-route I realised clutch fluid was seeping out of the fitting on the clutch master cylinder on the bars and had been for quite some time. I got maybe a turn or just over in the nut before it was tight. I called BMW assist and they (mega long story and BMW assist don't come out of this bit smelling of roses, I'll save this bit for when I'm sat comfortably) collected the bike. Now I'm being told that I have to pay for recovery and the repair work on the bike and try to claim costs back once I'm in the UK. Can't say I'm too chuffed and I don't have policy docs to hand....I will in future!!!....it just isn't how I'd expect a BMW warranty claim to be managed.
Just had reet row with some tit-end on the phone who just said "well you're wrong" when I tried to explain my misgivings. Got him to email me some details so I've got his full name handy for when I'm sat comfy back in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im afraid thats standard practice mate ,
I had mine breakdown in Spain . It was picked up by breakdown truck and delivered to Alicante BMW I paid for the parts and other things like hire car etc , kept the receipts handed them in when back in blighty . No quibbles whatsoever getting re-reimbursed fully by BMW. I wont go anywhere foreign without it.

I'm sure I have seen posts on here of guys that have had their bike recovered and repaired, nobody mentioned paying and claiming back.

Quote from my policy document - BMW Insured Emergency Service has been designed to provide assistance for BMW riders in the event of motoring emergencies. Whether you're on the road, at home or elsewhere in the United Kingdom - or travelling in the Republic of Ireland and Continental Europe.

Why don't you phone them up?

Im afraid thats standard practice mate ,
I had mine breakdown in Spain . It was picked up by breakdown truck and delivered to Alicante BMW I paid for the parts and other things like hire car etc , kept the receipts handed them in when back in blighty . No quibbles whatsoever getting re-reimbursed fully by BMW. I wont go anywhere foreign without it.

Phew. Pleased about the no quibbles bit.

I'm sure I have seen posts on here of guys that have had their bike recovered and repaired, nobody mentioned paying and claiming back.

Quote from my policy document - BMW Insured Emergency Service has been designed to provide assistance for BMW riders in the event of motoring emergencies. Whether you're on the road, at home or elsewhere in the United Kingdom - or travelling in the Republic of Ireland and Continental Europe.

Why don't you phone them up?

So far I'm upto 175 mins on phone to BMW assist to sort this out.....this comes under the "when I'm sitting comfortably" tab.
To be fair, they've sorted a hire car which has been handy but, I don't like idea of paying monthly for a warranty and having to cough up again for a foreign repair even when it looks as though settlement isn't a problem as detailed in the other guys post. I kind of saw the warranty as an umbrella and when things have been anything but smooth it's left me (even more) bitter and twisted. It definitely hasn't been a confidence inspiring experience. ☹️

It's quite standard on many UK issued travel / breakdown covers.

You pay the local BMW branded showroom / local garage / local recovery truck operative (BO comes free) / hospital / service provider that assist you so ably in your hour of greatest peril if and as required. Then you recover the costs in full (less any deductible or excess as may be applicable) on your return - or earlier if you email them copies, perhaps - and you are reimbursed in full.

It works, though that does not remove a bikermate's statutory rights to complain, moan, whinge, rant, not understand (wilfully or by accident) or just fret as enshrined in the Bikers' Charter. So crack on!

You're from Sunderland, I thought you'd have threatened them with burning down the HQ by now :eek::pullface:bomb:hack:anger

Even BMW standard warranty isn't truly international (although I believe it is 'live' in Europe).

My 1150GS was under 2yrs old when I needed work done in the USA, but I payed locally and they reimbursed me on my return.They paid up quickly and without any drama - although this was a while ago...

It's quite standard on many UK issued travel / breakdown covers.

You pay the local BMW branded showroom / local garage / local recovery truck operative (BO comes free) / hospital / service provider that assist you so ably in your hour of greatest peril if and as required. Then you recover the costs in full (less any deductible or excess as may be applicable) on your return - or earlier if you email them copies, perhaps - and you are reimbursed in full.

It works, though that does not remove a bikermate's statutory rights to complain, moan, whinge, rant, not understand (wilfully or by accident) or just fret as enshrined in the Bikers' Charter. So crack on!

On the other hand if you have the added 'emergency' cover they look after you and pay for everything. I had an accident in France this summer, they paid for recovery and repatriation of the bike, a hotel on the evening of the accident, taxi journeys and flights home the following day. All arranged by Allianz on behalf of BMW and all without me having to pay anything. I cannot praise the service highly enough.

On another occasion I had a breakdown in Germany. The recovery to a BMW dealer was free but I paid for the repair and claimed it back once at home. As others have said, no problems

On the other hand if you have the added 'emergency' cover they look after you and pay for everything. I had an accident in France this summer, they paid for recovery and repatriation of the bike, a hotel on the evening of the accident, taxi journeys and flights home the following day. All arranged by Allianz on behalf of BMW and all without me having to pay anything. I cannot praise the service highly enough.

On another occasion I had a breakdown in Germany. The recovery to a BMW dealer was free but I paid for the repair and claimed it back once at home. As others have said, no problems

I have paid for the full cover and have had a hire car because of this. My main concern was being told by Faro BMW that my repairs weren't covered and I'd have to pay. Obviously there's potentially some detail lost in translation but, I'm happier now having paid knowing that I can claim the costs back.

Emergency Assist not always perfect

On the same sort of topic, when my bike was nicked in Lyon last September, I rang the emergency assist (having been given 2 years’ free cover when I bought the bike in February). I was told on the phone that they didn’t cover theft. Not having the policy document with me, I made other arrangements, assuming they knew what they were talking about. (The other arrangements involved me and my wife chucking away half our stuff and riding back on her bike).

When the insurance paid up in October and I got a replacement bike, I happened to read through the new policy document and noticed that it did cover theft, as had the previous policy. So I made a complaint to Allianz, who ‘investigated’ for several months (and several emails and phone calls from me to chase them), and finally made a compensation payment last month.

Far from a perfect service, but they did acknowledge this and make a decent gesture in the end. But it’s worth having your policy documents handy if the worst happens!

Back
Top Bottom