Retro fit Hill Start Control

Wife got the email yesterday and has her R1200RS booked in for it enabling on Tuesday. She's been quoted £200

How does it actually work?

Give the front brake lever a big squeeze when you are at a standstill. It's then actuated. ( a lamp iluminates on the dash)
The bike won't roll back even if you are on a steep gradient.

Pull away normally and it instantly releases the brake for you. ( Many cars have similar technology)

My opinion? (before using it) was " I have a working right foot why the heck would I need software to actuate the brake?"

But after riding a bike so equipped... "that was bloody good, I liked it "

£200 for what ? Plug into the computer and update the software. And how long will that take. Lets max it at an hours labour. Would still like the facility though, handy two up fully loaded on a slope junction. BMW probably know that and can max the profit.

And don't remind me of the facility to programme alarm remotes to the bike which BMW removed.

If you think about it logically hill start assist was introduced to the 17 GS but not the GSA. They share the majority of the same components apart from some bodywork so it would not make sense to have two different braking systems and braking control units. The only real easy control they have is over the software that is loaded via a simple plug into a computer and they can simply choose what you get, or don't get, at the push of a button. Clever marketing really. Don't you just hate it!

Pull away normally and it instantly releases the brake for you. ( Many cars have similar technology)

Er, nothing normal about pulling away with it engaged, IMHO. Heap big revs to overcome it or stall. Not a fan. I'll use it to hold the bike stationary, marking a junction, for example, but I'll release it before pulling away.

Er, nothing normal about pulling away with it engaged, IMHO. Heap big revs to overcome it or stall. Not a fan. I'll use it to hold the bike stationary, marking a junction, for example, but I'll release it before pulling away.

You are mistaken Chazzy.....No extra revs...just a perfectly normal depature... ( Mind you, I was on a K1600! I'd have thought low down torque was similar to a GS))

You are mistaken Chazzy.....No extra revs...just a perfectly normal depature... ( Mind you, I was on a K1600! I'd have thought low down torque was similar to a GS))
I think the system is great for holding the bike on a hill, but my (GS) experience is the same as a Chazzy - oodles of revs required and easy to stall if you ain't careful. Much easier to simply squeeze the over to release it again.

i thought the same with the revs but after using it a few times there is a sweet spot with revs/clutch again and off you go!
used it loads fully loaded over in europe and it was great both downhill and uphill.
came on my bike.
would i pay £200 if i hadnt got it. probably not!

I loved it on my K1600 and RT, the K1600 was just ride as normal, the RT had a sweet spot. I'm going for the retrofit option for the GSA as I did find it useful, not always for pulling away, but with a loaded bike and clueless pillion, use it as a "handbrake" for a quick map check or similar. On the RT I got into the habit of just a quick tug on the front brake to release it.

It is a handy feature, if you've never had it you may never miss it, but my last two bikes had it and it's something I do miss.

I loved it on my K1600 and RT, the K1600 was just ride as normal, the RT had a sweet spot. I'm going for the retrofit option for the GSA as I did find it useful, not always for pulling away, but with a loaded bike and clueless pillion, use it as a "handbrake" for a quick map check or similar. On the RT I got into the habit of just a quick tug on the front brake to release it.

It is a handy feature, if you've never had it you may never miss it, but my last two bikes had it and it's something I do miss.

Totally agree..

I'd like it, not sure £200 worth of like or whether my '64 plate GS could be modded.
I'll ask next time I'm in.
Although no " H" showing on start up, so my guess is no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been told that BMW are charging the dealers £174 for the software upgrade itself.

Is this on all 1200GS' going back? I phoned my dealer and he said he wasn't sure if I could get it on my '16 but would find out.

Back
Top Bottom