Retro fit Hill Start Control

Me, too on my 13 plate. 2 up, loaded with luggage, on a hill, could save £200 easy
+1, but I'm a 14 plate .Can anyone explain the mechanics of how a software update enables this feature? Surely there must be a mechanical device involved ?

+1, but I'm a 14 plate .Can anyone explain the mechanics of how a software update enables this feature? Surely there must be a mechanical device involved ?
This is just a guess.

You activate it by giving the brake lever a big squeeze. I'm assuming the software update tells the ABS pump to maintain the pressure until either you squeeze the lever again, or you release the clutch.

Given the sensors/switches for brake and clutch are already there and the ABS system can increase and decrease the brake pressure, I don't see the need for extra hardware.

I could, of course, be entirely wrong! I'll find out when the wife has it fit to her RS on Tuesday.

If I recall correctly 'Hill Start Assist' was introduced on the 2017 models and was only retro fitable for the 2016 models that have 'ABS Pro' fitted.

No , the brakes and pump are already there ... Its all under software control.
Daesimps above is 100%
A software update is all you need.
The dealer just did mine for free. Took him 26 seconds!

No , the brakes and pump are already there ... Its all under software control.
Daesimps above is 100%
A software update is all you need.
The dealer just did mine for free. Took him 26 seconds!
Interesting, how did you get them to agree to that? I'm guessing Dundee).

Now confused: Only 2016:+ with ABS Pro ?
My 2014GS is due for the annual service on the 18th Sept. As part of th service they are "fitting" Hillstart. They said it just needs "enabling", ie just new software to get it working.
SMB perhaps you can let us know when done on your 2014 ?

The bosch 9me abs unit is a versatile unit, i expect most if not all wc models will be programmable, the cornering abs was just different coding, the retrofitting is a lucrative business for bmw,

This is the busiest thread I have started ! Theres a first. SadJim, what price will you do it for ?

Curious to get some feedback from the people who recently got it? It's about $500 AUD here and keen to hear some feedback.

I'm interested in this also. I have a 2016 GSA so it sounds like its definitely doable on mine. However £200 sounds a bit expensive for a plug and play upgrade.
I once had cruise control retro fitted to my car and they had to drill through the steering column plastics, fit a new plastic arm controller for the CC and apply the software and they only charged £120 and that was from a main dealer..
£200 sounds steep, especially when someone has said the dealer did it for free for him and it took 26 seconds..

I'm interested in this also. I have a 2016 GSA so it sounds like its definitely doable on mine. However £200 sounds a bit expensive for a plug and play upgrade.
I once had cruise control retro fitted to my car and they had to drill through the steering column plastics, fit a new plastic arm controller for the CC and apply the software and they only charged £120 and that was from a main dealer..
£200 sounds steep, especially when someone has said the dealer did it for free for him and it took 26 seconds..

£300 here :(

My wife had it enabled on Tuesday on her RS. She has tested it thoroughly over the last few days on our ride down to the Picos.

She loves it and thinks it's absolutely worth the money. It's useful not only for hill starts, but being able to sit at lights, mark junctions etc without having to keep the brakes applied. In fact, there were so many times on the trip down here that I was sat switching between front and rear brakes whilst she was taking the piss because hill start control freed her hands and feet, that I think I'll get it enabled when we get back.

The main reason she got it fitted was that she's vertically challenged, and as such sometimes she has no choice but to put her right leg down (so no rear brake). Being small means she has little hands and found it hard to use the front brake and throttle together for hill starts.

I don't think the £200 she paid is bad when you consider the development costs, costs of EU approval which it no doubtedly had to through. In her eyes too, the first time it avoids a drop it's paid for itself.

My wife had it enabled on Tuesday on her RS. She has tested it thoroughly over the last few days on our ride down to the Picos.

She loves it and thinks it's absolutely worth the money. It's useful not only for hill starts, but being able to sit at lights, mark junctions etc without having to keep the brakes applied. In fact, there were so many times on the trip down here that I was sat switching between front and rear brakes whilst she was taking the piss because hill start control freed her hands and feet, that I think I'll get it enabled when we get back.

The main reason she got it fitted was that she's vertically challenged, and as such sometimes she has no choice but to put her right leg down (so no rear brake). Being small means she has little hands and found it hard to use the front brake and throttle together for hill starts.

I don't think the £200 she paid is bad when you consider the development costs, costs of EU approval which it no doubtedly had to through. In her eyes too, the first time it avoids a drop it's paid for itself.

I think I may have seen your post in another forum. Did it take longer because of prior software updates they had to apply?

I think I may have seen your post in another forum. Did it take longer because of prior software updates they has to apply?

Yep, that's the one. The updates weren't related to hill start, it's just the computer insisted on applying them before it would let the dealer activate hill hold

Yep, that's the one. The updates weren't related to hill start, it's just the computer insisted on applying them before it would let the dealer activate hill hold

Well I guess I can think it of it as a mini service cost too then if they are forced to do software updates.

Well I guess I can think it of it as a mini service cost too then if they are forced to do software updates.

any new software on a bm car or bike wont be allowed unless car is fully on the latest software for the rest of the systems

Back
Top Bottom