Retro fit Hill Start Control

You would think it would be a nice a nice wee perk that BMW could apply, when they have your bike in for the fork collars...

You would think it would be a nice a nice wee perk that BMW could apply, when they have your bike in for the fork collars...

Thats what I said and the guy I spoke with at my dealer fully agreed. He said bring it in for Fork Recall and we'll activate it then. Either Free of Charge or Half Hour Labour.

He didn't forsee any higher costs than that.

In my opinion, 2017 Euro4 bikes missed this update by a couple of months. The bikes already have all the hardware, so a Software update should not be chargeable. Thats a piss-take.

If you were fitting new hardware then fair enough.

Thats what I said and the guy I spoke with at my dealer fully agreed. He said bring it in for Fork Recall and we'll activate it then. Either Free of Charge or Half Hour Labour.

He didn't forsee any higher costs than that.

Funny because both of the dealers I spoke to here told me they have to order the unlock code from BMW

Funny because both of the dealers I spoke to here told me they have to order the unlock code from BMW

An unlock code sounds highly unlikely, you ask him for an Official Invoice for the work and Unlock Proceedure, and a copy of the Unlock Code from BMW Motorrad to prove its existence, and are BMW Motorrad charging for this unlock code?

I bet they don't.

So what they are saying is every single new BMW R1200GS and GSA coming off the production line has a unique Unlock Code coded into the software, just to activate Hill Start before it leaves the production line. I don't think so.

The only time I've heard of Software Updates being charged for is a remap adjustment when you add optional Akrapovic Exhaust systems, which is fair enough.

You may want to call BMW Motorrad to confirm and validate any Unlock Code.

Obtaining a Financial Advantage by Deception is not a good policy.

If they change their stance to a Labour Charge, then fair enough, but its then a negotiable cost.

An unlock code sounds highly unlikely, you ask him for an Official Invoice for the work and Unlock Proceedure, and a copy of the Unlock Code from BMW Motorrad to prove its existence, and are BMW Motorrad charging for this unlock code?

I bet they don't.

So what they are saying is every single new BMW R1200GS and GSA coming off the production line has a unique Unlock Code coded into the software, just to activate Hill Start before it leaves the production line. I don't think so.

The only time I've heard of Software Updates being charged for is a remap adjustment when you add optional Akrapovic Exhaust systems, which is fair enough.

Friend of mine just checked and said it asks for a 8 digit code

From my dealer's service guy

"I am aware we haven't done it before I cant imagine the programming to take more than half an hour (more like 15 minutes) the code we have to order is £174"

From my dealer's service guy

"I am aware we haven't done it before I cant imagine the programming to take more than half an hour (more like 15 minutes) the code we have to order is £174"

No, specific code for the upgrade

Well there's our answer then. :D

It's a shame really as those who've just purchased their bikes (ME), would have considered this to be a good 'customer service' upgrade in light of the Fork Stanchion recall.

Took my April 2015 GS Adventure in for 24,000 Mile Service last week and had this retro fitted. The day before when I rang and asked if it could be done I was advised that they had to request/order the code from BMW. On arrival at Service Desk when asked to sign the job sheet I asked the receptionist if the Hill Start code had arrived, her colleague sat a couple of metres away (whom I spoke to the day before) checked his PC and said yes it had and it was then added to the job sheet. As per previous post shows on my invoice as Part C77.23.8.536.874. This would suggest Dealers do have to buy the code to input it? :blagblah

Very easy to use, squeeze of the Front Brake Lever, not been able to test on a proper steep incline yet!!

I took the view that for the cost I paid it would probably cost more if I ever dropped the bike but more so, potentially injure my pillion partner. On a previous ride out with pillion on board I got backed up on a steep one car width incline by other traffic and it was a real challenge setting off again. Happy to share price I paid via PM. :beerjug:

Some manufacturers use the software access system to restrict access to dealers only protecting their business/ profit,
This code system isnt specific to bmw,
As an example vw group dont use ticket access for software and some smart people using pirate copy hardware and doctored licence info can get into the system,
They cant however add features like bmw, the product spec is locked,with the exception of towbars,
If you want more you change the car,
So bmw offering retrofit upgrades is currently unique, yes at a cost but still available,
I will have it done on my late 2014 gs if possible, i find the driveaway brake hold handy on cars,
If i had a 2017 gs i would be on to bmw for some goodwill,
Roamer,

Is this upgrade for all LC R1200GS? Mine is 2014 but not sure if the upgrade is possible? I would consider having it done.

Hill start assist retrofit IS AVAILABLE for my 2014 LC GSA and that's one of the early ones and the cost fitted £220 and a "30 minute job while you have a coffee".Dealer confirmed by checking my Reg.no. I've not booked it in yet, still pondering the benefits but I recall one heavily loaded, pillioned hill start event, when a voice in my head said 'You'd better not stall it here '. I can't however see a great need when solo.

I was at my local dealers this morning having the recall parts fitted. I asked about retro fitting the Hill Start Assist to my bike (2014 GS LC), and was told that it couldn't be fitted.

Hill start assist retrofit IS AVAILABLE for my 2014 LC GSA and that's one of the early ones and the cost fitted £220 and a "30 minute job while you have a coffee".Dealer confirmed by checking my Reg.no. I've not booked it in yet, still pondering the benefits but I recall one heavily loaded, pillioned hill start event, when a voice in my head said 'You'd better not stall it here '. I can't however see a great need when solo.

If you can get it done, do it, it really works well fully loaded, I have it on my 2017 LC and used it quite a few times when trafic was backed up on slopes, it is a massive help, but do not stay to close to cars so you can get a good run up the hill, as good as it is, it does miss now and again if you do not pull hard enough on the front brake.

Back
Top Bottom