Retro fit Hill Start Control

SMcGirr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today the BMW website shows the following :

August brings with it a new Hill Start Control drive-off assistant helping to prevent uncontrolled roll back on inclines, allowing you to hold you motorcycle effortlessly on gradients - simply squeeze the lever to activate. It's particularly helpful when you're off touring and your bike is heavier than usual. The Hill Start Control is available as a retro fit to the R 1200 GS, R 1200 GS Adventure, R 1200 R and R 1200 RS.

Any clues to a) whether its a worthwhile addition and b) what it might cost ?

At a couple of hundred it might be worth a punt ?

SP

<tbody>
</tbody>

Interesting. When I asked my dealer a while ago, they said no retrofit option.

Had it on my RT. It's excellent so will definitely be up for a retro...

Today the BMW website shows the following :

August brings with it a new Hill Start Control drive-off assistant helping to prevent uncontrolled roll back on inclines, allowing you to hold you motorcycle effortlessly on gradients - simply squeeze the lever to activate. It's particularly helpful when you're off touring and your bike is heavier than usual. The Hill Start Control is available as a retro fit to the R 1200 GS, R 1200 GS Adventure, R 1200 R and R 1200 RS.

Any clues to a) whether its a worthwhile addition and b) what it might cost ?

At a couple of hundred it might be worth a punt ?

SP

<tbody>
</tbody>

Any chance of a link to this.

it was on a BMW email at BMW Motorrad UK <magazine@bmwmotorradnews.co.uk>

dunno or in normal UKGSER etiquette "f'ed if I know"

I have it on my 2017 Rallye. Actually quite like it. I use it more than I thought I would, occasionally I even use it on hills.

Interesting thread this, as I ride in the mountains mostly on narrow roads into steep villages, for me it would be a good idea. Subject to the price. I will ask at my Dealer on the next visit in a few weeks, if its possible to retro fit it .

Interesting thread this, as I ride in the mountains mostly on narrow roads into steep villages, for me it would be a good idea. Subject to the price. I will ask at my Dealer on the next visit in a few weeks, if its possible to retro fit it .

I'm PRETTY SURE the answer to that is in the OP's post... "The Hill Start Control is available as a retro fit to the R 1200 GS, R 1200 GS Adventure, R 1200 R and R 1200 RS."

I'm PRETTY SURE the answer to that is in the OP's post... "The Hill Start Control is available as a retro fit to the R 1200 GS, R 1200 GS Adventure, R 1200 R and R 1200 RS."

I take your point Phill, but my dealer is in Spain and while they are lovely people, they are always swamped with work and under staffed IMO. I speak a little Spanish and they speak even less English so from passed experience I know it's going to be hard work.

It's going back to get things put right from the last service that I asked them to do that weren't done.

Having Hillstart fitted to a 2014GS

My 2014GS is due for the annual service on the 18th Sept. As part of th service they are "fitting" Hillstart. They said it just needs "enabling", ie just new software to get it working. So the cost appears to be set by The mothership as they charge the dealership for the software update.

So the cost appears to be set by The mothership as they charge the dealership for the software update.

I'm assuming from the above that they've driven you a cost. Would you mind sharing the figure?

My 2014GS is due for the annual service on the 18th Sept. As part of th service they are "fitting" Hillstart. They said it just needs "enabling", ie just new software to get it working. So the cost appears to be set by The mothership as they charge the dealership for the software update.

Sounds good - what hardware does it use.

I'm assuming from the above that they've driven you a cost. Would you mind sharing the figure?

Just the cost of the software update, they are not charging for installing it as the bike is hooked up anyway, so somewhere between £140/180.

Just the cost of the software update, they are not charging for installing it as the bike is hooked up anyway, so somewhere between £140/180.

As far as I know, just a software update so was not told that any hardware needed.

Interesting, thanks. Let us know how you get on please. :)

Back
Top Bottom