Newbie - What to look out for on a used 1200GS - Be gentle.......

Bishop

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a real newbie to this forum and the GS.... er... lets just cut my long story down to a short 'help'!

I've still got all the sales brochures when the 1200 came out in 2004. That's how much Ive wanted one. Now, at last, I can raise about £4k for a used 1200 and I'm asking what should I look out for?????

I literally know NOWT about the bikes! Heard the 2004 model had 'issues' not sure what, and that ABS was a bad too on early bikes?
Mate has just got a 2005 model, and it seems like 'brake failure' warning is a little worrying but this goes away when you start the bike. I think.
Ive seen a few with big miles and bigger corrosion on engine where paint is flaking off like £10 notes......:(

so.... any advice, hints, what to watch etc would be a HUGE help!
Cheers everyone and thanks in advance :)

Bish

Go for a 2007-on model. Better brakes having scrapped the servo. Engine more or less sorted by then as well. They were selling by the shedload so plenty around to choose from. Be picky, service history a must. Then just ride the wheels off it and enjoy!

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

I've also been reading up on 1200GS's ...... apparently, if you want ABS, avoid the servo/ABS Bikes ...... I think ABS ll or whatever came in 2006 ....... therefore avoid 2005 Bikes

Thanks guys, 2007 one looks beyond my means :( Will avoid 2004/05 if I can!

ooooo.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-120...458299?hash=item25dcfe877b:g:YiwAAOSwzoRZiG9~

Cheers :)

Looks nice and a good spec although is top, top dollar for year....go on condition and servicing rather than mileage. The brake failure light comes on as standard when starting the bike as a check....goes off after a short while.

Things to look out for. Rear shock probably goosed by now....check so see if it has been replaced. If not these can be reconditioned for about £120 (BMW will tell you that they are sealed units and can't be fettled....they can).

Also check the final drive.....these can and do go more often than BMW would have you believe. Check for any play in the rear wheel by grabbing top and bottom and giving it a good wiggle....same for 3-9 o'clock position.

When they say ABS pump refurb check to see if they mean the servo pump. The ABS unit and servo pump are separate items if I recall correctly. ABS pump can be refurbished...not sure about the servo.

Check the heated grips as these do go...usually left hand for some reason.

With a full BMW service history all recalls will have been done....but check the latest, this being the rota arm that attaches the rear break disc, some of which were showing cracks. Not sure if the recall went back to 2004 but was pretty comprehensive. This is still an ongoing campaign

Other than that....the bike looks to be in good condition....a quick spray with oven cleaner will get those headers shining. Good luck.

Wot oldnfat said.

The brake failure warning is normal (they all do that sir) until it's detected a rotation of both wheels. Goes off as soon as you've moved about 2 yards.

I have a servo ABS 2005 and it's been flawless really. 52k showing and other than the engine paint not being mint it starts first time and rides great. Not sure if the previous owners had the shock rebuilt but mine seems fine.

Assuming you go for a non servo ABS model which rides and runs fine, these items are the only ones I would bother worrying about;

Clutch (hard to check directly without removing starter and measuring the clutch plate thickness). If clutch is on its last legs apparently you'll get clutch slip from 5k rpm onwards in 6th gear - need a clear motorway with no police to check this as you'll be well north of 100mph). Any failed seals in the output or gearbox side can contaminate the clutch and also lead to slippage. If it goes, it's a split-the-bike-in-half job with the resultant labour, so for me this would be the number one area of concern. Some folk get 150k on the original dry clutch, others get 25k so it seems entirely dependent on riding style and all-up-weight.

Final drive (do the above wiggles and also check how much drivetrain lash there is)

Thanks for reply guys :) really appreciated it.

I pushed the boat well, well out to sea and got a 2008 R1200GS :) Came with FDSH, 21k miles, loads of extras like crash bars, heated grips, spotlights, hugger, fendar extender, luggage.......

Bike is awesome :) :) I can really see why these bikes are so loved and popular - I get the feeling you just dont want to stop! Once you're out, keep going....... so comfy!

Ive usually had 4 cylinders, then down the 3, now 2 - Must be an age thing - Give me another 5 years I'll be on a single LOL!!

Thanks again guys, I will join the full-forum with the membership fee tonight :D

Cheers!

Bish

Back
Top Bottom