Idle on F650GS twin

Goo

Reaction score
My F650GS twin sometimes has an issue with idling. In that it won't, it just stalls if you let go of the throttle. It's intermittent - it happened a bit last year and then went away for a few months and now, not having touched the bike for 4 months it came back, only to go away after again 40 mins of riding. It's been fine since.

I'm about to head off on a long trip and I'd like to nail this - should I replace the idle actuator? I'm not 100% sure what the idle actuator actually does but it sounds suspicious.. :D

Any other suggestions?

Perhaps the moderator may move this post to the correct section for you. A better response will be forth coming. Sorry I can't comment on your technical issue. Hope you get it sorted.

oh whoops! sorry - guess I should have read the section title a bit more carefully!:blast

Have you reset the TPS (Throttle position Sensor)?

From memory. I think you turn the ignition on. Wait until the instruments have done their thing. Don't start it, but wind the throttle slowly and steadily from fully closed to fully open. Then turn ignition off. That should calibrate the TPS.

Try that. It doesn't cost anything.

Have you opened up the air box and removed any/all the condensed oily water that collects in there?

I had a "hunting idle" problem on my first F8GS and it was the gunk from the collected condensate that fouled the idle actuator. Cleaned it up OK but needed the motherships computer to re-set and calibrate the actuator.

A GS911 might be able to do the re-set - don't know, just a guess.

I now routinely open up the airbox, especially in the winter months, and clean out the condensate before it effects the actuator.

Just my tuppence worth

SteveT

:cool:

Have you opened up the air box and removed any/all the condensed oily water that collects in there?

I had a "hunting idle" problem on my first F8GS and it was the gunk from the collected condensate that fouled the idle actuator. Cleaned it up OK but needed the motherships computer to re-set and calibrate the actuator.

A GS911 might be able to do the re-set - don't know, just a guess.

I now routinely open up the airbox, especially in the winter months, and clean out the condensate before it effects the actuator.

Just my tuppence worth

SteveT

:cool:

Thanks for this ^^^^^^^^^^^
Been riding a F650 twin for 6 years and like to think I keep on top of it maintenance wise. Never heard of this issue, im off to the garage with my torq bits!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom