New 09 owner looking for advice

I've not fitted the new header yet as I've been told I need a hanger bracket.
I need to have a look at the REMUS header to see if there is one on there.
The AF units could very well be an option going forward.
Thanks again everyone.

Not sure if I'm talking out of turn did it have a flappy valve ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I've not fitted the new header yet as I've been told I need a hanger bracket.
I need to have a look at the REMUS header to see if there is one on there.
The AF units could very well be an option going forward.
Thanks again everyone.

Ideally, you need the hanger, but the OEM should work fine. It's just a peg bolted to the gearbox. The exhaust carries it's own rubber mount. However, both ends of the exhaust system are hard fixed to engine and frame which begs the question why a flexible mid mount is doing anything useful.

Not sure if I'm talking out of turn did it have a flappy valve ?

The 08-09 (Mk2) does not have a flappy valve.

Thanks Bendy toy.
I was wondering myself what exactly is the bracket doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the M6 screws are in properly. If they come loose they will leak gear oil. Not a flood but it's messy. Bear in mind they are only M6 so don't lean too hard on the spanner. ;)

Thanks again Bendy toy.
Hopefully get to it later today.

Finally managed to fit the header last night.
It was quite a struggle.
Bolts seized solid, snapped bolts heads and other delights.
What a difference.
It's like a different bike.
Wondering if an original can would help things?
The AF-Xied units sound promising but having to buy 2 would be mighty expensive.
It would be good if there was somebody closer that could offer something similar to a Hilltop remap.
Anyway, thanks again to everybody for the advice and help.

You can send the ECU to Hilltop for a generic remap and quote your bike's spec. TBH he has done so many bikes it's likely to have 99% of the improvement given but the full rolling road treatment.

I have an 08 Adv. Brother has an 09 Adv to all intents the same bike. Mine has a Power Commander which offers a relatively crude fix for the fuel mixture issues. His bike feels like the engine is at least 25% smaller. Its sluggish and just not nice to use. Mine just zips along and feels like a lighter bike, even down to the way it handles. We both have aftermarket headers and pipes.

Thanks Bendy toy.
I was wondering if I could send the ECU to Hilltop.
That's good news.
Just changing the header to the standard one has completely changed the way I feel about the bike.
It was really no joy to ride before the change.
I'll contact Hilltop and arrange to send them my ECU.
Thanks again Bendy toy.

Af's are pretty much similar cost wise to a remap, with the advantage resale/transfer to another bike. Where in Scotland are you?

HI MWH,

According to Nightrider.com web site 2 units would set me back $759 excluding shipping and duty.
Potentially they could cost around £600 unless i'm doing something wrong.

I'm not far from Glasgow.

I think that the Nightrider price of $379.95 is for the complete 1200 kit ( 2 Units) it was when I purchased mine a few years ago.
The kits for the 800`s 1150`s etc only require one unit hence $ 219.19 they discounted the 1200 kit as it uses 2 units.

What Mistacat said. Got mine from Beemer Boneyard. It slipped through customs and cost me around £340 I think. I'm off on holiday for a week, when I come back you're welcome to have a look at mine with the AF's on. I'm just south of Edinburgh. I also have an 09.

I bought mine direct from the supplier when I visited Florida. He is only 15 minutes from Busch Gardens. I paid around £250.

Thanks Mistacat,MWH and Gardham67,

I never considered the price would be for 2 units. That's a much more tempting proposition.

Thanks for the offer MWH. If I haven't done anything with the bike by the time you are back I might take you up on that.

A trip to Florida sounds very tempting LOL.

Thanks again everyone :thumb2

If only to put to rest the controversy, I would love to see a the AF-XiED dyno tested against a remap.

I'm gonna go from setting 7 to setting 8 this weekend and see what my arse dyno makes of it.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

That would be interesting Bendy toy.
Is there any better real world dyno? :D

That would be interesting Bendy toy.
Is there any better real world dyno? :D

I put a Power Commander 5 on mine because I picked it up for £100. It's far from ideal (works open loop) but dramatically improved the bike's fuelling. The usability and even the handling were massively better. On the first run out I pinned it going down a slip road and nearly pooed myself as it bounced off the rev limiter - in 3rd. Thankfully no speed cams about. :eek:

My brother has the same model GSA as me. His bike feels like a heavy old slug in comparison to mine. He even asked me what I had done to the suspension as mine handles so much better. Nothing If anything my suspension is not as good as his. It's just that my engine picks up instantly so you don't feel the bike dropping into bends.

I can see the point of the lambda shifter (and my well go for that) but we don't know what the remap does on top of sorting out the fuelling - hence suggesting a dyno run of both would be nice to see. I suspect the remap is better because the fuelling wont be lean/rich over the whole rev range. The map should allow specific adjustments to have it just right over the whole range. But... There are always buts.

If only to put to rest the controversy, I would love to see a the AF-XiED dyno tested against a remap.

Not sure what the controversy is.....having had a TC with a Hilltop remap and now currently running a TC with AF Xied units I would say there is not much in it. Based on the "arse dyno" I would say the remap delivers a slightly punchier motor in the mid range but the AF units are smoother and potentially cheaper as they can be sold on or transferred to a new bike.

All purely subjective of course but I think the overall conclusion is that you can't really go wrong with either option....either is worth the cost IMO and would be the first mod I would make.....rapidly followed by the xcreen screen extension and Wunderlisch ergo seat.....awesome bike as a result.

Back
Top Bottom