Is this the start of a new engine claim?

TonyZZR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
R/H Cylinder. No other marks anywhere else on the bike. 16 reg Triple black......

corrosion.jpg

Not sure, but I understand they're now they're rebuilding with new cases (using all the original internals), rather than fitting whole engines.

Yes, would agree that it is. I am on my second engine and drive train now! As for a new engine, I was in the dealers last week and they where still fitting new lumps! So not sure about the rumours about the rebuild thing! Ps I am getting another drive train!

Good luck

I think it depends on the circumstances and corrosion....I just got a new engine, but they were rebuilding some.

Sorry to be a complete Newb, but can someone circle in the photo what I am supposed to see, so I can check mine.

Yes, would agree that it is. I am on my second engine and drive train now! As for a new engine, I was in the dealers last week and they where still fitting new lumps! So not sure about the rumours about the rebuild thing! Ps I am getting another drive train!

Good luck

It came direct from a customer of Vines as that's what he was offered. As Gerard said, maybe depends on circumstances.

Mine had a short engine - old heads, but new below.

Definetly corrosion. I had my engine replaced with similar.
I paintbrush acf50 along all vulnerable areas now as bike out of warrenty. Works for up to now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in CMC Cannock last week and spotted a 16 reg TB. I noted all the rust spots so I could check it against mine and apply more ACF50. :D I was surprised to see on the showroom bike the bolts on the exhaust hanger bracket had even started to rust.

If you wander around your local BMW dealer, engine corrosion is probably visible on 50% of the used bikes to one degree or another. I was in my local dealers last week and there were loads of used LC models for sale (RT and GS) which had far worse corrosion than the engine which was replaced on mine.

I guess engines or casings are only replaced if/when the owner complains :nenau

Well, BMW have told the dealer to replace the engine casings. They want it for 10 days! I really don't want my engine pulled apart and put back together, who knows what could go wrong.... Anyone had it done yet?

I really don't want my engine pulled apart and put back together, who knows what could go wrong.... Anyone had it done yet?

Yep, I'd feel the same way.

The bod ( however well motivated) in your dealership simply doesnt have the same level of "inspection" or "quality control" as those in the factory.
There is no comparison in my mind.

If that was my engine I wouldn't want it stripped down & casings replaced.
I would be getting the Acf50 out like other owners have said & coat the vulnerable areas.
It won't affect the running of the engine & corrosion shouldn't get any worse for years to come once you apply Acf50
Just my tuppence worth..
Good luck..

"BMW have told the dealer to replace the engine casings"

What could possibly go wrong :D

Yep, I'd feel the same way.

The bod ( however well motivated) in your dealership simply doesnt have the same level of "inspection" or "quality control" as those in the factory.
There is no comparison in my mind.

Bollox
In some dealers the head tech is far better than some at the factory
If the factory techs are so good then why do brand new bikes come with inherent faults caused at assembly
I'd sooner have the head tech at my local dealer build an engine properly from scratch - he's done a few hundred over his career and is a top lad with an eye for precision and will reject a brand individual part if it's not up to scratch and reorder another

Whilst not wishing to decry the ability of the Techs. It would be fine if they were on the job from start to finish. I can well imagine a warranty engine rebuild will not be top of the list at a Dealer workshop. Normal pre-booked customer servicing and repairs would I believe take priority and the constant interruptions of people calling in and "Can you just?" Humans being humans this has potential to forget or rush something.

Well, BMW have told the dealer to replace the engine casings. They want it for 10 days! I really don't want my engine pulled apart and put back together, who knows what could go wrong.... Anyone had it done yet?
Had mine done 3 weeks ago, would have taken 2 days ,but for the tech noticing some bolts were different from a bike he had done the week or 2 before, discovered bmw had started using once use bolts,which had to come from Germany. Dealer not sure why this wasn't noticed when they ordered the casings. All in 4 days ,bike seems to be running very good

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Bollox
In some dealers the head tech is far better than some at the factory
If the factory techs are so good then why do brand new bikes come with inherent faults caused at assembly
I'd sooner have the head tech at my local dealer build an engine properly from scratch - he's done a few hundred over his career and is a top lad with an eye for precision and will reject a brand individual part if it's not up to scratch and reorder another

That is the exact problem ,some dealers will have shit hot mechanics who excel at building up motors and do it with a high level of dilligence in a spotless environment (I've been in engine and gearbox production facilities where they are built in clean rooms ).

Other dealers will stick someone on the job between other servicing and the job will progress as and when the new bits they find they need along the way turn up, more than likely they engine will be built up on a bench in the corner of a busy workshop and I know of one local dealer where they would always stick the car servicing sides apprentices on doing the bike stuff.

If the techie isn't 100% and the build conditions are not clinically clean using new parts when needed it doesn't bode well for a rebuilt engine and more importantly what warranty are BMW giving on theses engines if parts start to fail soon after rebuilds or outside the 2 year warranty period ?

My new one will be getting acf50'd from new and if the engine paint has problems they will not be building its internals into new casings, i would rather paint the bloody thing myself.

With regards to previous post regarding interuptions , out workshops brought out a rule that a mechanic once on a job is left alone until that job is finished or halted due to the need for parts after a couple of serious failures following staff being disturbed during a job and missing a safety critical problem

Replaced Engine Castings and Driveshaft

My 65-plate 1200GS went in 2wks ago to have the engine casing and driveshaft/hub replaced.

Picking it up on Fri, so will be able to see how it looks and run. Dealership has been very helpful and kept me regularly informed, but do have a bit of a worry, since as others said - hope it was all put together properly.

Back
Top Bottom