Is this the start of a new engine claim?

Cheers all for the heads up on the ACF50, my bike is new but will be getting acf50,ed as soon as it arrives, taking no chances. :beerjug:

Picked my bike up today.

In the end got a replacement engine, gearbox and drivetrain. Gearbox is the new 2016 one, what a noticeable difference - really smooth change over.

Will see now as I run it all in, but initial thoughts are good.

My RT was at the end of warranty, new engine, new FD, 600mile service and new 2 year warranty on replaced parts

Given the bores are in the cases do they fit new pistons or rings?
Anyone know?
Did you guys that got cases get new heads as well? if so were the heads internals swapped over.
Did BMW give you a service receipt with a list of replaced parts?

Attachments

• B0008639.jpg
    B0008639.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 559
I had a short block and they re-used the heads. For sure there was no mention of valves/springs etc. This being the case I can't imagine them replacing the valves etc if they're only doing the cases?

I'll dig out the receipt later.

Bollox
In some dealers the head tech is far better than some at the factory
If the factory techs are so good then why do brand new bikes come with inherent faults caused at assembly
I'd sooner have the head tech at my local dealer build an engine properly from scratch - he's done a few hundred over his career and is a top lad with an eye for precision and will reject a brand individual part if it's not up to scratch and reorder another

Talking to a BMW salesman outside of work, he said good techs are as rare as hens teeth

More R1200 GS TE corrossion...

I have been advised by BMW that the Technicians within their approved Centre network and their Warranty Department accept that:

the corrosion to the cylinder heads is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW
the corrosion to the clutch cover is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW
the corrosion to swinging arm is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW
the corrosion to rear drive is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW

but the corrosion to the engine cases is apparently acceptable and is my responsibility to replace.

The bike has has the 'All year Biker' treatment each autumn and is kept in a dehumidified garage. The fasteners have not suffered.

Any suggestions to how I may proceed or should this be my last BMW?

Back
Top Bottom