Wild Camping in Scotland

Tacho D

Reaction score
Hi folks, Thought about exploring the Highlands and Islands on the bike for years and may give it a go this year. There are several good posts on campsites, but as this may take place in October, most would probably be closed. I looked at the alternative, the freedom of pitching up in splendid isolation. Looking on some Scottish Tourist websites this doesnt seem to be a problem, unlike in England, provided it is done sensibly with respect to the environment. Coming from Norfolk, I should be able to see some of the lake District on the way up. Has anyone tried this, and are there any favourites? :)

We wild camped on Mull this year, and all was fine. I know that wild camping is prohibited around the Loch Lomond area, but please check on that to make sure I've got the right area.

So long as you're sensible its not a problem.
Be aware that the right of access does not stretch to motor vehicles so mind where you take your bike.
In case you do fancy a shower and a proper toilet, suggest you get the excellent campsite map too from this site.
http://www.scottishcamping.com/

Lots are very remote. You get the 'wild camp' feel but with a bog and fresh water.
Instead of 'wild' you could call then 'undomesticated'.....:D

We wild camped on Mull this year, and all was fine. I know that wild camping is prohibited around the Loch Lomond area, but please check on that to make sure I've got the right area.

You're right. It's the Southern end of Loch Lomond which is restricted with a by-law.
I think (could be wrong) that's the only area that's restricted.
Its down to the chavs which were turning up, camping anywhere they chose and leaving a right mess.
Sometimes they'd just buy a big cheap tent and leave it.

Camping by-law in place on the East side of Loch Lomond March through October, not sure on exact dates!!

I drive straight past the Lake district these days and stop in the Moffat Hills somewhere off the Selkirk road.
Northumberland is another great place to camp, either in the Cheviots or by the coast.

Anything but the bloody Lakes ... Plenty of time for Saga coach trips there in your old age. :thumb2

Totally depends on the weather but we've had some stunning trips to the west coast of Scotland, and the Western Isles, in October.
The midges and tourists will be away by then, so if you do get some good weather....it's stunning.

So long as you're sensible its not a problem.
Be aware that the right of access does not stretch to motor vehicles so mind where you take your bike.
In case you do fancy a shower and a proper toilet, suggest you get the excellent campsite map too from this site.
http://www.scottishcamping.com/

Lots are very remote. You get the 'wild camp' feel but with a bog and fresh water.
Instead of 'wild' you could call then 'undomesticated'.....:D
That's a right useful wee resource there :beerjug:

I drive straight past the Lake district these days and stop in the Moffat Hills somewhere off the Selkirk road.
Northumberland is another great place to camp, either in the Cheviots or by the coast.

Anything but the bloody Lakes ... Plenty of time for Saga coach trips there in your old age. :thumb2

The Tibbieshiels Inn at St Mary's Loch used to have a small camping area. If no longer available, there's an open area by the side of the loch on tother side of the road from the Glen cafe. Similar places can be found in the Moorfoots north of Innerleithen and in the Mennock and Loudon hills in the western borders. These places are !often used hy family groups but less so after the weans are back to school.

Thanks everyone, a treasure trove of valuable info. looking forward even more to some mountain scenery after flat Norfolk.

Kinlochhourn, Few spots on the way down there also Glen Etive is very popular....sadly.

Kinlochhourn - lovely spot and a nice road in. Britains longest cul-de-sac I believe, but well worth doing it both directions.

Kinlochhourn - lovely spot and a nice road in. Britains longest cul-de-sac I believe, but well worth doing it both directions.

Is that about as far as you can drive before the big walk in across Knoydart?

I never see the Ardnamurchan Peninsula mentioned on here, another not so well trodden gem I stumbled upon last year.

Is that about as far as you can drive before the big walk in across Knoydart?

That's the one. It's an easy days walk from Kinlochhourn to Barrisdale, then another, slightly tougher, to Inverie.
Kinlochhourn to Barrisdale is, quite rightly, said to be one of the best low level walks in Scotland

Attachments

• Knoydart.JPG
    Knoydart.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 353

Back
Top Bottom