New Lamps For Old.

SuperTed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Way back in the dim and distant past; or 2001 as it is also know; I got myself a very nice BMW R1150GS. This had various things done to it but the relevant one was the headlight upgrade. While almost everything about the 1150GS is wonderful the exception is the standard main beam. Which is dreadful.
So this got swapped for an HID Xenon light, which is truly amazing. So some time later when I was forced to replace the first 1150 (don't ask) one of the first things I did with the second one was the HID upgrade.
We move on several years and I have swapped the 1150GS for a 2008 F800GS. Dip beam isn't great but main beam on this is truly awful, it might even have been worse than the original 1150 light. So bad was this light that I found myself on the way home from my brother's place, out in the wilds of Essex where street lights are known for their rarity, doing about 30 mph on a main road because, not to put too fine a point on it, I couldn't see a damn thing.
So I had a conversation with a mate who is an ace bike mechanic and he recommended the HID kit he had on his own bike (which I think was a Suzuki at that point) as it was really good and quite cheap. A bit too cheap as it turned out.
One of the things that make HID Xenon lights the price they are is the glass the bulbs are made of. HID produce quite a lot of UV and the glass the bulbs are made of are UV filter, just like your sunglasses and for the same reason. With a light unit that has a plain clear plastic lens putting a source of UV light that close to it for four and a half years does not do the lens any good at all. Mine looked like it was misted on the inside and I have had several people give me what I am sure are pretty good ways of sorting it out. But my lens is not misted, its been burnt by the UV. So having had it get to the point where dip beam was affected over about 80% of the lens, and it was now starting to affect main beam as well, I decided it was time to 'bite the bullet' and spend some money on a new headlight unit.
Only to find that BMW want over £270 for one. They are quite clearly deluded, and possibly having a giraffe. Not happening.
Then a question came up here about the F800 headlight. After various replies one came up with a link to ebay and the chap said he had got one of these... A quick look at the item on the end of the posted link and I sent an email to my brother (I don't have an ebay account) requesting that he purchase the Italian sourced F800GS headlight unit from the parts supplier - for £168 posted. Result. Having received the light unit, which came with all the electrics needed including bulbs so its 'plug&play', I stripped out the HID gubbins and fitted the new unit. It is quite difficult to properly adjust a headlight when you are outdoors on a sunny day, but I did the best I could. A week later and I went on run with a bunch of mates and I found myself riding behind my mate Jo and his ZZR1100. On a tree shaded road I realised that I was lighting up all the reflective bits on the back of his jacket. This lead to two thoughts: 1, that's a bit high 2, hey that's quite bright! I then followed the Dearly Beloved down an equally shady road and I was lighting up the reflective sticker on the back of her crash-hat. So probably more than just 'a bit' high. Various nice people have told me about Osram Night Racer headlight bulbs that are 100% brighter than standard and only a tenner each, but on current evidence I don't think I'm going to need them. Having said that - I haven't been out in the dark yet...
I have adjusted the angle down a tad though.
The difference between the old and new light units has to be seen...well, look at the photo...I hadn't realised just how bad the old unit had got.
Just to be clear about one thing: HID is a really good upgrade for your bike if you do a fair number of journeys after dark. Just don't go cheap.
On the other hand why not try some better bulbs. They might be all you need (and they're only £10).
Stephen.

Attachments

• Headlights Old & New.jpg
    Headlights Old & New.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 420
Osram night breakers are amazing bulbs

used them in the car for years really do give a good output

Howver the price for them has gone through the roof - Euro used to do them for £20 a pair now they want £20 each!!

Osram night breakers are amazing bulbs

used them in the car for years really do give a good output

Howver the price for them has gone through the roof - Euro used to do them for £20 a pair now they want £20 each!!

I think there are 2 types of Night Breakers with one of them being more expensive that the other. The cheaper one was the original which is the one people rave about.

Back
Top Bottom