Totally Baffled...Coil problems..or is it?

2 things

Before pulling valve covers off Do a compression test!

If you have a significant variance from the other cylinder then move a step forward to check rocker clearances etc etc

Have you changed the spark plugs they are incredibly intolerant to frequent cold starts with no run to full working heat

Thats one to file in the non start book :) .. plug make dependant or in general?

Thats one to file in the non start book :) .. plug make dependant or in general?

Just in general If the bike is started and run for a few minutes it never completely evacuates all the unburnt fuel from the cylinder and that seems to make teh plugs short to earth instead of sparking properly
I had one bloke who would start his K1100 in the winter (whilst parked in the garage) and run it for 5 minutes to get the oil around it and then shut it off. He admitted his folly when i asked what he was doing that was causing the plugs to turn so black!! Basically the ECU over-fuels when cold and reduces fuelling as the engine temperature rises until it gets to the lamda probes running the show when its up to working temp

The answer is to ground out the spark plug case with a jump lead and trying to start the bike

If the spark is ANYTHING but a crisp sharp purple or blue colour? the Plug is fucked

Orange, Yellow, Red, White, (I had even green on one )

But you only have to release the coil and remove spark plug to screw in a compression tester, Bendy!

If compression values are very similar it then points to elsewhere rather than a "novice" attempting to set the valves

The rocker covers are quick enough to remove so you can check valve clearances.

But you only have to release the coil and remove spark plug to screw in a compression tester, Bendy!

If compression values are very similar it then points to elsewhere rather than a "novice" attempting to set the valves

My compression tester won't work in the GS. Hex is too fat and even it it did fit I have no way to tighten it down.

No need to set the valves just check there is a clearance when the cam back side is facing the lifter. That wont quantify the clearance but there should be some sort of gap.

The rocker covers are quick enough to remove so you can check valve clearances.

Just popped the valve covers off - the clearances themselves were not too far out but the end-float on the rocker arms was none-existent. Book says 0.005 to 0.040 - but could not even gat a 0.002 feeler gauge in there - no clearance at all in fact! I have sickened the 3 bolts and head bolts off, now have 00.25 clearance - so will re-set valve clearances and try again. Not sure if this would be enough to cause an issue?

2 things

Before pulling valve covers off Do a compression test!

If you have a significant variance from the other cylinder then move a step forward to check rocker clearances etc etc

Have you changed the spark plugs they are incredibly intolerant to frequent cold starts with no run to full working heat

Maybe it's worth sporting the small cost of new plugs...a process of elimination

I'm confused. Does the bike run at all?

Also ya got to get your head around this: Your bike has a learning ECU. If something is bad and you replace it, then the bike will not be back to 100% until you have ridden it 100km

If you loosen the rocker carriers this will change the clearances.
Set them as in instructions manual. If it’s a TC you have to swap shims and measure again.

Back
Top Bottom