R80g/s Push Rod oil seal replacement

oldnfat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As the heading says, I have an oil leak from the left hand oil seal so will be stripping the head. I have a moderate level of mechanical competence (mostly do my own servicing)...but haven't delved into the guts of a motor for some years.

Whilst I am there I will adjust the end float of the rockers.....is there anything else the collective wisdom of the Airhead crowd suggests I do/look out for whilst I am there....and anything I should be wary of in the process?

Also....any idea where I can get a "star" spanner from for the headers?

Cheers

^^that^^ plus use a dab of red rubber grease to aid fitment, and dont forget to rotate the rubbers 90 deg on the pushrod tubes to clear the frame, then back 90 deg again once passed.......

Star spanners easliy available from motoworks/motobins, worth getting the heavy duty version as the standard version does not like any *ahem* abuse. This I know. :blast

When I took the pots off a couple of weeks ago I had to turn them around to get them to clear. As I'll be fitting new pushrod tubes in I'll be turning them again to make sure that I don't upset the seal between the new tubes and the pots. Having said that I must admit perhaps I shouldn't argue with someone that does this job regularly for a living. :augie

Anyone know the diameter of a R100 piston ? is it 94mm ? need to buy a piston ring compressor of the correct size range, thanks.

You'll probably have to adapt the gearbox for a piston that size...just saying :augie

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Motorworks will sell you a piston ring compressor :thumb2

Anyone know the diameter of a R100 piston ? is it 94mm ? need to buy a piston ring compressor of the correct size range, thanks.

I believe it is 94mm. No idea wha that mad scouser Kenny is on about :confused: tho he is correct about Motorworks.

A quick question - why on earth post this question under a thread about R80 push rod seals :nenau

Following this thread with interest and ordered the seals from BMW, and the o'rings and gaskets from Motorworks. Will carry out work next week, so thought I would ask for some advice on the piston ring compressor. I had checked the BMW fiche site and wanted to confirm 94mm or not.
Thanks.

As my machine had sprung several oil leaks, I did this very job last week. As previously stated do not fit anything other than OEM pushrod seals. Mine were less than three years and 10k old. They had hardened and all four were leaking. I put a little engine oil on the new seals to help them settle in. I also had to replace oil px switch and the sump gaskets. I have an extender as both were leaking.It is possible to get the job done without the ring compressor but not much fun. As I was reveling in an oil tight engine one of the fork seals blew! Fixed that yesterday. I've also stopped using pattern gaskets........its just not worth the arse.

Back
Top Bottom