October Ride Magazine Article

I did seriously look at an XT1200 , ergonomics seemed spot on and great reports from owners / testers, BUT the thing is heavy and I need to start thinking of something a bit lighter....

Person who told me was the same who told me about the Super Tenere coming out 2 years before the spy photos came out , they got it spot on 1200cc parallel twin , spoked wheels, shaft drive (but not a single sided swinging arm).

They seem to think that the Super Tenere will have two models one more road biased and the other more adventure based.

I must admit that if my wife found them comfortable on the back I would have made the change to Yamaha back in 2011 as they are such an 'easy' viceless bike to ride

Allegedly a 'NEW' Super Tenere is in the pipeline ,possibly to be released at the same time as the new MT07 engined Tenere based on the T7 concept bike

from what im hearing the MT07 wont be available until very late 2018 / early 2019 to "joe public".

I was told today by a representative from the Irish Yamaha importer/distributor that there are no plans for a new XT1200Z for at least the next 3 years.

Now, he was trying to sell me one at the time.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

they're a good outfit, and a good distributor for Yamaha. Easy to deal with and accommodating to the public ive found.

Bu im thinking they may be on the money with the S10, no new updated model forecast. The whole MT series has been getting a lot time / effort spen on it with a few reviosns for next yr. So whether they fit the S10 into the line up we will have to wait until the big shows in Nov before we hear anything. But i wouldnt hold my breath for a new revised s10 just yet.

good bike as it is, few new tweeks to newer model are good.

I was informed yesterday, as I was thinking of buying a ze, that Yamaha UK have no bikes just a standard one and a new 2018 model to be unveiled in the Autumn. I was dealing in England

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I was informed yesterday, as I was thinking of buying a ze, that Yamaha UK have no bikes just a standard one and a new 2018 model to be unveiled in the Autumn. I was dealing in England

Interesting.

I wonder will it be just the usual colour scheme change.............if not there could be some haggling to be done on existing models in stock.

I did get a price on a showroom model and did get an exceptional deal so if one can be got there are deals. Though have been told that I should wait.

I did get a price on a showroom model and did get an exceptional deal so if one can be got there are deals. Though have been told that I should wait.

so are you hinting that there could be a new model / revised bike coming based on what dealer has told you ?

:confused:

sound......if there is an updated model, i too am sitting tight. I almost pulled the pin on a ZE...but so being so close to bike release dates for 2018, i will wait. News v think on the ground re new bikes.

Yamaha are being v tight lipped if ther eis an S10, honda are already revising the new AT ( only some small bits ) for nxt yr so why not yamaha.

They're renowned, Yamaha that is, for being tight lipped then let small tippets out. It won't get hard core badge collectors but since I left S10 in 2016 I've had a gsa lc, s1000xr, gs lc lowered version and can't wait for November to hear news releases

I see in the S10 US forum, it appears colours only for 2018 model (?).

Im sitting tight in hope! Nout wrong with current but not buying just yet.

Ride got it right because they rode the bike in isolation and a similar way to a normal / typical rider.

I can see how alongside bikes like the KTM it seems a bit crap, my KTM 1190 is much lighter, much faster, has much better suspension and matches the S10 for comfort and practicality (except for the chain drive) I tested a 2017 GS and that also seemed sluggish with crap suspension (TBH it was awful, worse then the stock suspension on my Gen1) and the test ride lasted about 4 miles before I turned around and took the thing back.

Ridden alone the S10 has enough power with a decent bottom end stomp and good stable handling, IMO the real benefit of an S10 is you can buy one and keep it for 5 (or 10) years and clock up well over 50,000 miles with virtualy no chance of a big repair bill coming your way, this is just not the case with BMW's, Ducati's and KTM's.

Put the S10 alongside similarly durable (That means Japanese) machines (Africa Twin / V-Strom / Versys) and all of a sudden it is more competitive, the Verysy is not really an Adventure bike IMO, the Africa twin is not really durable and will rot away before you get it home leaving the V-Strom which is a great bike, but not quite up to S10 standards (then again it is a fair bit cheaper)

When I get fed up of rapidly depreciating, costly to run and risky to keep "premium" motorcycles, or cannot afford to trade up to the latest and greatest model to keep a warranty in place I would go looking for another S10 without hesitation.

Ride got it right because they rode the bike in isolation and a similar way to a normal / typical rider.

I can see how alongside bikes like the KTM it seems a bit crap, my KTM 1190 is much lighter, much faster, has much better suspension and matches the S10 for comfort and practicality (except for the chain drive) I tested a 2017 GS and that also seemed sluggish with crap suspension (TBH it was awful, worse then the stock suspension on my Gen1) and the test ride lasted about 4 miles before I turned around and took the thing back.

Ridden alone the S10 has enough power with a decent bottom end stomp and good stable handling, IMO the real benefit of an S10 is you can buy one and keep it for 5 (or 10) years and clock up well over 50,000 miles with virtualy no chance of a big repair bill coming your way, this is just not the case with BMW's, Ducati's and KTM's.

Put the S10 alongside similarly durable (That means Japanese) machines (Africa Twin / V-Strom / Versys) and all of a sudden it is more competitive, the Verysy is not really an Adventure bike IMO, the Africa twin is not really durable and will rot away before you get it home leaving the V-Strom which is a great bike, but not quite up to S10 standards (then again it is a fair bit cheaper)

When I get fed up of rapidly depreciating, costly to run and risky to keep "premium" motorcycles, or cannot afford to trade up to the latest and greatest model to keep a warranty in place I would go looking for another S10 without hesitation.

I agree with all of that but the problem is that Yamaha priced it to run with the big boys........it's not a cheap bike like the V-Strom / Versys.

(just for clarity.....I'm a big S10 fan and probably will own one, just not brand new)

They are tough for sure. Often some good deals around at this time of the year too. My S10 ES/ZE was an ex-demo, 6m old with 300 miles & a few farkles thrown in & very keenly priced back in 2014. Looks like a keeper, although I see merit in the AT DCT & the SA - let's see if Yamaha respond (eventually).

I agree with all of that but the problem is that Yamaha priced it to run with the big boys........

True, however nobody ever buys a standard GS, to get a decent spec most folk go with an SE model that has a load of optional extra's and costs over £15.5k without luggage, the Ducati Multistrada starts at £13,500 in Poverty Spec, and £16,500 for the S Model.

The KTM offers reasonable value alongside these at just over £14k for the 1290S in basic trim - but that includes Electronically adjustable semi-active suspension (Good quality WP stuff) cruise control and an amazingly good lean sensitive ABS and TC system plus a full colour TFT screen.

The S10 lacks a lot of the top features / options so hard to compare against these premium bikes and Yamaha really should admit it is no longer a direct competitor to the BMW / KTM / Ducati offerings and price it for what it is and sell it on the basis it has not got a million expensive gizmo's waiting to go wrong or a highly strung superbike engine waiting to blow up.

the Africa twin is not really durable and will rot away before you get it home .

I agree with nearly all of your post but this is complete rubbish. They have a problem with spokes tarnishing but that's it the rest of the bike is brilliant and very well finished. I had a S10 a couple of years ago and wanted to like it more than I did. It had excellent high speed stability but it just wasn't that much fun on back roads. The AT though weighing very similar feels a lot lighter ,is far better off road and loads more fun. At the moment you can get one on pcp for £69pm with NO deposit. That's a proper bullit proof (class leading:D) bike for £2.27 a day ! :green gri

Back
Top Bottom