The perils of Part Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

(RIP) Arkwright

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In March of this year I decided to sell a bike I had spent 5 years and a substantial investment building based on a 1982 R80 RT.

Not wanting to be involved with the various people who might want to buy it I thought I would involve a regular bike salesman who might be able to help on a sale or return basis. I discussed it with a known bike salesman from near York and he looked at it on an Airhead social day and liked it and took it home in his van. We had agreed a price that I thought he might be able to make a sensible profit on. Several days later I had a communication from him to say he really liked it and would like to buy it and have it as a ‘keeper’. Would I consider a ’90 100GS in part ex and the rest in cash. The pictures showed a bike that looked quite good but I decided to go and look at it properly first.

This is the bike.

51102220922__9A058FBA-DE38-4C60-9AB0-195CBC105926.JPG-XL.jpg

My examination revealed the above bike which looks fairly presentable with a good paint job by Chris Tunbridge. It ran but was noisy but I have a fairly good idea how to make them run properly (I’ve got two
other Airhead GS’s.) We agreed a price and he had sold another GS to another forum member fairly close to me that was to be paid for a few days later.

I took the GS home with me and attended the settlement meeting for the other GS a few days later at which I was given a part settlement in cash with the rest to be paid by Paypal later that day and the pannier frames and panniers that were not present originally to be delivered to a repair business a few days later as he was having a bike built there.

I set the bike up as best I could and on an evening ride found the lights to be flickering. I got under the front cover and found that the diode board was flapping about and the timing chain cover only had half the bolts in it should have had. Inside the headlamp nacelle was the same and had been butchered. The brakes were poor so I ordered some proper pads (Lucas TRW) for it which when they came didn’t fit because the caliper had been replaced by a smaller one from an RT. I have since obtained a proper caliper from a fellow forum member.

After having run it for about 1000 miles I find it is using 1Litre of oil every 200 miles and I could not make it run sensibly quiet. Time to look a little further.

i pulled the heads and barrels off and found that the barrels were worn out and the pistons likewise. closer examination of the heads revealed that the tops of the valves were badly worn along with the rocker gear. I decided to pull the engine and gearbox out and check everything, the crankcase is scrap having had the barrel studs helicoiled and butchered along with the oil pump housing, gearbox is the wrong one for the bike and is in a similar state as is the driveshaft and bevel drive.

The previous owner of this bike is a well known Airhead restorer from Derby. The previous MOT from 2008 shows a reading of 85,00km which tends to indicate it was imported from the continent.

I suspect it’s been used as a donor bike for the good bits which have been replaced with worn out bits and tarted up. I feel I’ve been kippered and I can’t afford to rebuild it properly so I’m going to break it I think.

I still haven’t been paid the outstanding money or pannier frames and panniers.

Well, it certainly looks good. Do you not have any protection against a trader? If not....I am guessing the individual concerned inhabits this forum and you are looking for restitution before naming and shaming.

I wonder if the seller restored the bike themselves....if so they would have been aware of the engine issues and therefore this could possibly be a case of fraud. If nothing else I would be talking to my local trading standards in the hope others won't fall foul as well.

Has the seller been made aware of the issues and given the opportunity to put them right?

So far, everything inspected on the above mentioned engine is fucked,oh,apart from new piston rings on buggered barrels and pistons.
And newish ex guides,,,, one of which has been bonded into the head,,bearing fit maybe??
Edit,forgot,it's had a new timing chain and clutch,
So someone's been inside it:confused:

Did I really do what? I think you should read it again!
I did read it twice in the first place Arkwright and I just read it again. I know it is the early hours and I'm barely awake but haven't you part exchanged a bike for a disaster which you heard was noisy before you had a deal and didn't receive full payment and other parts then or yet?

Oh dear, sounds like a similar story to my own (subject of another airhead thread), although involving another member of this forum (whose identity I can readily guess). I do feel for you, being in the same position myself, but the saving grace is that Mike Overy is involved and can fix it for you.

You part ex'd a good bike for one that had a noisy engine and now complaining the engines knackered...???

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

It didn't have a noisy engine, it just had a top end that was slightly noisier than normal. In this part of the world there are several people who know a lot more about Airheads than me, and I know a good bit, and none of them thought it was bad. If it had been bad I wouldn't have bought it, I know what they cost to put right properly.

And I don't want sympathy I just want people to understand what may happen when these two people get involved.

Did you have a compression test done beforehand. I'm guessing not but I've always seen that as an essential check, but wonder would the aforementioned new rings have given healthy compression.

I must have misinterpreted where you say 'it ran but was noisy'

It is always disappointing when we get something that isn't what we'd hoped.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

No because at that sort of genuine mileage I expected to replace the piston rings, exhaust valve guides, pushrod tubes and reseat the valves anyway, they al need it and I've done it before.

Surely if the deal has not been completed you should just return the bike and cash (less your expenses) and take your bike back. I guess the trader mentioned is the same one being hailed a legend in B&B!

A sad story that should not have happened on this Forum ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom