The perils of Part Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
It woul dbe kind of helpful for those not "in the Know" to "know" who the heck you are talking about to be truthful
Good point. It would also be helpful to point out whether the seller knew about any of the issues that have come to light.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I suspect it’s been used as a donor bike for the good bits which have been replaced with worn out bits and tarted up. I feel I’ve been kippered and I can’t afford to rebuild it properly so I’m going to break it I think.

Sorry to be blunt but maybe the bike is how it came to the one that sold it to you ??

Its very hard to tell what is what from the outside looking in

Also.. I had to learn a VERY important lesson...

100% is a VERY expensive target.... 80~90% is much cheaper and still safe (Which is very very important)

Try not to do it up like a dogs bollox, steamclean this polish that etc etc

If the components are functioning and "safe"? Ride it, For example, Did that front calliper do okay at stopping the bike?

Taking it to bits to the tune of "Oooo! Ahhh, That's not good, is Soul destroying!

I should know LINKY In my defence however I had no real option

It would be kind of helpful for those not "in the Know" to "know" who the heck you are talking about to be truthful

It was me. More to this than meets the eye.
Arkwright knew the bike was noisy as he said. I have had some serious family problems that I've been trying to deal with among a mountain of other shit too. I have said to Arkwright I will help him out with it on my return from Spain.
I have been restricted from the forum because of the bikes I sell being sub standard ?? A big Thanks to Brodie13 who said basically that I hid the bike from him when he came to collect it??? The bike that Arkwright has came from Gary at BaMW all I did with it was have it painted ( thank you Tunneruk) fit a clutch and timing chain.
Anyway thanks to all that bought bikes from me I hope the experience was pleasant and the bikes were good value.......?
I'm not a bike dealer as some on here say, I use my own hard earned money to buy a few main BMW dealer part exchanges and offer them here at very very small profit.

There is/are two sides to every story.

90% of problems are due to poor communications, unless you're att obviously !

Perhaps discussing privately, may give you a better resolution that you seek.

Peace, love and fraternal greetings.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Sorry, that is up until now, I guess it's ebay for them now, shame really as I genuinely thought they were really well priced.
Sorry to all that have bought a pup from me I genuinely did not know they were crap.
I might be a good idea if all unhappy buyers posted on here and I will buy the bikes back at the same price they were sold for?
Florence ( aka John or Cnut if you like?? )

Arkwright knew the bike was noisy as he said. I have had some serious family problems that I've been trying to deal with among a mountain of other shit too. I have said to Arkwright I will help him out with it on my return from Spain.
I have been restricted from the forum because of the bikes I sell being sub standard ?? A big Thanks to Brodie13 who said basically that I hid the bike from him when he came to collect it??? The bike that Arkwright has came from Gary at BaMW all I did with it was have it painted ( thank you Tunneruk) fit a clutch and timing chain.
Anyway thanks to all that bought bikes from me I hope the experience was pleasant and the bikes were good value.......?
I'm not a bike dealer as some on here say, I use my own hard earned money to buy a few main BMW dealer part exchanges and offer them here at very very small profit.

well done for coming into the thread to give your thoughts

I knew Gary when he first started buying Bikes in Germany, (I bought a couple Bikes from him, all good, and he bought two R80GS Basics from me plus some Basic parts, when I "downsized" before moving out the France), - surprised he sold you a Bike in such a poor mechanical without any warning....... he has however developed his "business" substantially since I last met him.

At the end of the day, all these lovely airheads are getting old and as someone has already said, most will now need a major top end overhaul; clutch; timing chain etc etc. I may well be putting my R100GS up for sale as also have a modern :D 2004 R1150R ( dreading bleeding the servo though :eek: ). I never took a compression tester with me to check it over as I've previously dealt with this tosser before and wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again and that's what we expect in a perfect world :clap Good on Florence to offer to buy back the bike(s) it is a superb gesture ( especially bearing in mind he had the clutch and timing chain replaced and the bike painted before he sold it ) unlike some who stated an engine rebuild had been done when in fact it look's dreadful from what we have seen here:(
It really is buyer beware when buying an airhead. (I'm Off out on my CBR600 now :bounce1 )

I have known Gary for sometime too, I was told he was too busy to restore this bike but assured it ran well. I got it home,started it up and rode down the road..... clutch slipping like crazy and cam chain very noisy. So I fixed it had it painted and sold it to a guy that did a European trip on it with no drama. I then bought Tetly's PD special and sold it to this guy taking the bike back in part exchange. I did nothing else to it, Arkwright then took the bike in part exchange knowing it was noisy but he was going to fettle it and keep it. (I used a genuine 3 piece clutch crank oil seal and genuine timing chain and tensioner.)
I never rang Gary and complained about it, no point really. I just got on with it and took the medicine. I never miss sold the bike to Arkwright or miss described it. He know airheads same as I do, actually he is very knowledgeable,much more so than I.

Fair play for sticking your head above the parapet on this John, and as I posted above QUOTE
Sorry to be blunt but maybe the bike is how it came to the one that sold it to you ??

Its very hard to tell what is what from the outside looking in

I have been restricted from the forum because of the bikes I sell being sub standard ?? A big Thanks to Brodie13 who said basically that I hid the bike from him when he came to collect it???

Yes Mr Brodie's behaviour was somewhat bizarre!! To go pick it up Drive away and then "whinge"

AS I said on that thread that was one Clean K!

Hopefully an amicable agreement/solution can be Arkwrights latest post on this

Good Luck Gents

At the end of the day, all these lovely airheads are getting old and as someone has already said, most will now need a major top end overhaul; clutch; timing chain etc etc. I may well be putting my R100GS up for sale as also have a modern :D 2004 R1150R ( dreading bleeding the servo though :eek: ). I never took a compression tester with me to check it over as I've previously dealt with this tosser before and wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again and that's what we expect in a perfect world :clap Good on Florence to offer to buy back the bike(s) it is a superb gesture ( especially bearing in mind he had the clutch and timing chain replaced and the bike painted before he sold it ) unlike some who stated an engine rebuild had been done when in fact it look's dreadful from what we have seen here:(
It really is buyer beware when buying an airhead. (I'm Off out on my CBR600 now :bounce1 )

AIRHEADS

If you buy off here you would expect to buy an "honest" Bike - Bikes sold on here should have been owned and ridden by the owner, (seller) as they know and can tell you if there are any problems.

If you buy off EBay ....... the best you can do is to check the Bike over and talk to the seller, (buy the seller if you like ...... you can usually tell if he cares and knows about Airheads) - in the past I bought 2 Bikes off EBay and all were OK and maybe better than described... but EBay is "let the buyer beware"

If you buy a Bike from a "Trader" who has probably not even ridden the Bike ......... you should be careful and not be surprised if there are problems

IMHO and it is only my opinion, Bikes should not be sold by "Traders" on this forum .......... they should be sold owner to new owner and a full history as known by the owner/seller should be given ... this would, I believe, be in the spirit of this Forum

The above could also apply to any sales/purchases

The real question. Who put new rings in a worn out bore on worn out pistons and reassembled the engine despite all the other problems? JJH

Bikes should not be sold by "Traders" on this forum .......... they should be sold owner to new owner and a full history as known by the owner/seller should be given ... this would, I believe, be in the spirit of this Forum

Precisely...:thumb2

I

Sounds like a bike dealer to me TBH

I have no axe to grind and trust that the honour on this site will have this sorted out

Precisely...:thumb2

Funny thing is David, you were very happy to sell me your bike at full price when nobody else showed an interest :nenau
I didn't haggle collected promptly and paid cash. I even asked you afterwards if you had any issues with the bike being readvertised when I bought it back again. Seems like a pattern emerging here?
I don't force anyone to buy these bikes and I don't mind issuing refunds or taking bikes back, if you don't like what you buy bring it back or better still tell me when collecting or when I'm dropping off it off and I will pay fuel costs etc too. It just pisses me off when people complain an hour after collecting wanting money back because they have buyers/sellers remorse.

AIRHEADS

If you buy off here you would expect to buy an "honest" Bike - Bikes sold on here should have been owned and ridden by the owner, (seller) as they know and can tell you if there are any problems.

If you buy off EBay ....... the best you can do is to check the Bike over and talk to the seller, (buy the seller if you like ...... you can usually tell if he cares and knows about Airheads) - in the past I bought 2 Bikes off EBay and all were OK and maybe better than described... but EBay is "let the buyer beware"

If you buy a Bike from a "Trader" who has probably not even ridden the Bike ......... you should be careful and not be surprised if there are problems

IMHO and it is only my opinion, Bikes should not be sold by "Traders" on this forum .......... they should be sold owner to new owner and a full history as known by the owner/seller should be given ... this would, I believe, be in the spirit of this Forum

The above could also apply to any sales/purchases

All very well in an ideal world

I broadly agree - however many do not

Brodie is trying to sell a 11 GS after owning it for a very short time

Originally it was advertised by a long standing member at a fair price in the 'spotted a deal section' (for a non member, but a good bike)

Brodie kept in about a month and is trying to sell it for similar money or more - but it is still unsold?

So is Brodie a private seller or private trader

Buying any used bike is Caveat Emptor

Funny thing is David, you were very happy to sell me your bike at full price when nobody else showed an interest :nenau
I didn't haggle collected promptly and paid cash. I even asked you afterwards if you had any issues with the bike being readvertised when I bought it back again. Seems like a pattern emerging here?
I don't force anyone to buy these bikes and I don't mind issuing refunds or taking bikes back, if you don't like what you buy bring it back or better still tell me when collecting or when I'm dropping off it off and I will pay fuel costs etc too. It just pisses me off when people complain an hour after collecting wanting money back because they have buyers/sellers remorse.

A fair résumé

Nobody forces people to buy anything

I've walked away from more bikes than I have bought though - I just say it's not for me or point out the faults for a haggle or if it's junk/dangerous I tell them and get back in the van

Sometimes you regret not buying one or two, but if it isn't for you then it isn't

Buyers should wise up or take a mechanic with them

I've bought a few duffers over the last 30 years - but either fixed them to keep or sold them on for a loss and noting the faults

No point moaning about it - trouble is nowadays everyone wants their money back or compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom