The perils of Part Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
All very well in an ideal world

I broadly agree - however many do not

Brodie is trying to sell a 11 GS after owning it for a very short time

Originally it was advertised by a long standing member at a fair price in the 'spotted a deal section' (for a non member, but a good bike)

Brodie kept in about a month and is trying to sell it for similar money or more - but it is still unsold?

So is Brodie a private seller or private trader

Buying any used bike is Caveat Emptor

my post was specifically about Airheads with a last sentence bringing in the topic generally

Brodie - private seller, unless he is in the habit of (regularly) buying Bikes to RESELL - some history of the Bike was on here and presumably Brodie linked his for sale ad to the previous

I've only been back on the forum for a few weeks so I cannot say what has happened in the subject of this Thread ....... all I would say is that I found it distressing that @GADGET was apparently stuffed by a fellow member who as far as I am aware has not had the decency to come back on the forum and explain his side of the story.

"Buying any used bike is Caveat Emptor" .......... even ON HERE - so this appears to be the second problem airhead that has been sold in the last few weeks ......... maybe EBay is "safer" as at least you would not be surprised

I have known Gary for sometime too, I was told he was too busy to restore this bike but assured it ran well. I got it home,started it up and rode down the road..... clutch slipping like crazy and cam chain very noisy. So I fixed it had it painted and sold it to a guy that did a European trip on it with no drama. I then bought Tetly's PD special and sold it to this guy taking the bike back in part exchange. I did nothing else to it, Arkwright then took the bike in part exchange knowing it was noisy but he was going to fettle it and keep it. (I used a genuine 3 piece clutch crank oil seal and genuine timing chain and tensioner.)
I never rang Gary and complained about it, no point really. I just got on with it and took the medicine. I never miss sold the bike to Arkwright or miss described it. He know airheads same as I do, actually he is very knowledgeable,much more so than I.
So 'Rod' the question is are you and Florence (John) the same person as I have suspected for some time?

'Rod' is often 'bigging you up'.... are you also known as Walter?

Have you refunded the £500 that you promised to many weeks ago? You claim to have family issues etc but surely it takes just 5 minutes to send the money via Paypal.

So 'Rod' the question is are you and Florence (John) the same person as I have suspected for some time?

Have you refunded the £500 that you promised to many weeks ago? You claim to have family issues etc but surely it takes 5 minutes to send the money via Paypal.

IP addresses the same ?

No Rod is not me as you know. I posted that comment on Rods account and deleted it as it should have been written on my account. Paul you already know this and we have spoken at length about it.
To ban me from accessing certain parts of the forum is unfair as I've said before. But then I have no choice do I. Seems like you nimrod Arkwright and Brodie are all getting together and thinking let's get rid of this guy? Well, ok that's fine then pal.

I see

there is a separate section for Dealers and "Florence" advertises Bikes for sale in that section

No Rod is not me as you know. I posted that comment on Rods account....
Why do you have access to Rods account? Who is the one that often sings your praise, Rod or yourself posting as 'Rod'?

To ban me from accessing certain parts of the forum is unfair pal.
What's unfair is promising to give someone £500 and parts as part of a deal and then failing to do so. You have no excuse John, it takes just a few seconds via Paypal.

I see there is a separate section for Dealers and "Florence" advertises Bikes for sale in that section
That was only after many ignored requests from myself to put 'Trade ad' on his posts Bill.

When Gadget bought his bike from lilith the seller lied about the engine rebuild, the bike was a non runner which apparently only needed a battery and petrol and he paid a high price for a seriously cosmetically challenged bike because it had an Ohlins and HPN tank.

We've no idea how much Arkwright 'paid' Florence for the bike featured in this thread. The bike looks in really good nick but sadly the engine is rough which Arkwright was aware of, although it is probably worse than anticipated.

All this mucking about with Forum names/accounts isn't doing the sellers credibility much good, nor is not paying people as he promised.

It's not the first time a member has 2 accounts with different id's
Even some moderators used to do it in the dim & distant past
Not big or clever

When Gadget bought his bike from lilith the seller lied about the engine rebuild, the bike was a non runner which apparently only needed a battery and petrol and he paid a high price for a seriously cosmetically challenged bike because it had an Ohlins and HPN tank.

We've no idea how much Arkwright 'paid' Florence for the bike featured in this thread. The bike looks in really good nick but sadly the engine is rough which Arkwright was aware of, although it is probably worse than anticipated.

All this mucking about with Forum names/accounts isn't doing the sellers credibility much good, nor is not paying people as he promised.

no matter what the "ins and outs" are of both situations ......... they should not have happened ......... especially as the problems were significant and because both buyers and sellers were on here it should have been obvious to the sellers than something would be said.

It's not the first time a member has 2 accounts with different id's
Even some moderators used to do it in the dim & distant past
Not big or clever

Writing your own 'such a nice chap' type reviews is probably a first though.

Funny thing is David, you were very happy to sell me your bike at full price when nobody else showed an interest

To be fair, you seemed like an alright guy, and it was a straightforward sale, which is why I'm so surprised at the way you've treated Duncan.....

Losing access to the FS&W, for the sake of paying him the £500 you owe (plus the panniers and frames, as promised), just seems self defeating.

There is no 'Conspiracy', all you need to do, is be honest with people (and yourself).

As I understood it, there was a young lady who praised, recommended and had a relationship with those she was commending.

On this very site.

Won't be the first or the last.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Have you refunded the £500 that you promised to many weeks ago? You claim to have family issues etc but surely it takes just 5 minutes to send the money via Paypal.

Paul I can confirm that UK Rod and John Florence are two separate people. I met them at the Hubb 2016 when they did their talk on twats in the Sahara. John was on a fantastic looking airhead , blue frame white tank , Im no expert.

Rod ( uglier than John) has a fantastic sense of humour and does most of the narration in the video, John ( George Cluney lookalike) is much drier. They both love bikes and biking.

Im not commenting on buying or selling bikes just giving these two lads a great reference, they exist, they are not avatars of each other!

no matter what the "ins and outs" are of both situations ......... they should not have happened ......... especially as the problems were significant and because both buyers and sellers were on here it should have been obvious to the sellers than something would be said.

Not sure really. Florence bought a pup but was unaware (apart from the rattly timing chain and slipping clutch, which he fixed) seems odd perhaps, that he didn't investigate the noisy top end as it's usually easily fixed. He had the bike painted and with no obvious oil leaks he would not of known that the stiud threads had been helicoiled (which doesn't make the crankcases scrap - many R100GS's have had this done).

The issues as I see it are: was Florence sold a pup which he then sold on as an honest bike having fixed most of the apparent faults and should UKGS'er not allow trade sellers to advertise on the site. IMO they should simply because these trade sellers benefit from the site 'goodwill' when they actually know very little about what they are selling and just trying to make a profit. It wouldn't have made any difference in this situation though.

I'm UKRodYork, not Florence or Sparticus.
I believe Florence has met you- I have not.
If you have access to I.P. Addresses, as a moderator, check them- they are not the same.
If you have access to subscription payments/details- check them- they are not the same.
I would encourage anyone reading to analyse the style of writing between UKRodYork & Florence- they are in no way similar.

You have in the past accused me of being a trader. I am not.
You have in the past accused me of being Florence. I am not.
Moderators' have in the past provided me passwords to access my account- connected to Florence's business. I believe you are a moderator?

I will attempt to clear this up publicly once more in the hope of averting further unwarranted accusations/restrictions.

I do know Florence and have been on a number of trips with him. I believe 30 or more other members on UKGSER know Florence & have been to his house also.
I too am happy with several vehicles purchased from him- should I not thank him?
I think it's important to give an opinion of Florence from my perspective(just as you might leave positive feedback on ebay, following a smooth transaction)...certainly a vast majority of others have taken this approach.
Interestingly- my last 'bigging up' (your term) of Florence is hardly so ...I would argue there is a strong element of character assassination!! but without malice or intent.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/461457-One-to-look-at

I was not party to the deal that has caused this post & have sensibly kept away from it until now.
I believe you know "Arkwright"- the complainant. I understand that Florence's account has subsequently been restricted.

Florence has more than one operating system to gain access to the internet & the forum, UKGSER. I have been to Florence's house & logged on as me (UKRodYork).
I remain in York; while Florence & his operating system's are not! There is nothing deep & deedy going on.
I simply, on this occassion, forgot to log off- Florence evidently did not realise this and posted under the username UKRodYork...but clearly did not attempt to pass himself off as me; instead continuing on as though he were writing as "Florence"

I hope I have cleared things up on the alleged multiple guises of Florence- he may well have multiple accounts- but I am certainly not aware of any & can categorically state that UKRodYork is not one of them.

Perhaps it would have been better to contact me directly (PM) and ask me- I think it has only served to further muddy the topic, while besmirching the character of Florence & mine publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom