No. It's definitely crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the screen size on the 6 and having good results with the old 550 660 and now nav 5 thought i had missed out,
Compared garmin isnt as good as an a to b device
I have friends going for the new tom tom 400 as they prefer the device to create the adventure,
With law changes ref operating nav when riding, the wonder wheel is good for me,
I prefer having my own way using the trip planner, it works great and basecamp requires more commitment/skill and a computer on tour so i keep it simple ,
Using the car without curvy roads is reliable when trip planning,
Youre going where you choose why throw in the curvy adventure features,
The nav 6 may have brought other issues, i hope they are resolved if not i am up for a swap,
Roamer

My experience is the opposite of that!
After a six bike trip to the French Normandy sites + Ardennes , the Tom Tom owner returned his to the store and purchased a Garmin.

Haha Brilliant :D ..i also learnt that in a group, turn them all off unless your leading:rob

Oh and Nutty dislikes his Nav6, but then he doesn't have any credibility with GPS kit because he was up to his neck in problems long before the Nav 6 came along.

Was I?:nenau

What were they then?:nenau

Being accused of a lack of credibility is a bit rich coming from some one who can't decide if he is a pilot or a pharmacist :blast

Whoever the guy is, he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.:rolleyes:

After 3 Alpine trips I have to say that my Nav 6 is an aquired taste.

This may be user error and I'm happy to be informed of the solution.

I use Basecamp proficiently. I can plot a route off my Surface Pro which I take with me in short order. Copy to trips. Nav 6 imports. Done. That's fine.

First gripe - Don't offer me 3 different next waypoint options to choose from the off! Why? I am where I am. I've plooted the root, now shoot. I've ended up going the wrong way. I don't know all the village names so why offer me one of those to choose from as I have no idea where it is.

Second G - I have auto route thing switched off. If you dare stop and then continue after a coffee, YOU MUST (or I seem to have to at least) go into trips and start the trip from scratch. If you don't all hell breaks loose and it decides it knows best - oh and it doesn't tell you it's altered anything. So I always re-boot the route....this brings me to -

Third G - having done the above, when you re-boot the route (let's say you're half way) there's no option to select "current location" as your start point!!! Why?? Surely this is a basic point. It knows where you are, why can't it carry on the route from where you are, even if you've turned off the main road to visit a village? Stupid. Instead, what I've discovered is that I have to use the 'skip waypoint' icon (which I added to the map screen, essential) until it's 'caught up' with where I am - what happens is that eventually the road behind changes color from the same pink as the road ahead, to a different color , or no color, I can't remember, but you know you're now navigating from that point.

Very happy for someone to say 'idiot...do this to fix that' because it's crazy.

I've learnt to (in Basecamp) click on roads either side of villages and let it compute a way through the villages. If you click on a village or town it'll stick you on some tiny side road in the village and nav there rather than going straight through. Small tip but it works.

Just to add to this, I think Basecamp is great. Last trip, instead of scooting around lake Annecy I chose some random roads that deviated up into the hills. They were so beautiful that we went back to Geneva through the same area. The ability to just stare at the area from above and pick roads knocks any TOM TOM of it's perch.

Have you had a Nav V? Is this behaving differently, or is this your first Nav? If you plot a route in basecamp and change the waypoints to shaping points before you move to the Nav, the Nav will not ask you to skip points. I have never experienced what you are describing with the Nav V, if I put a route in and stop as soon as I get going again it just starts from where I am. So unless the Vi is different to the V, you are probably suffering from the way you have plotted the route in basecamp. Not an expert though :)

Going back to the first post (strange thing indeed on here, dealing with the question rather than wandering off into abuse!) I am convinced that he is discribing operator error. It sounds like he is using the trip planner function to create routes with multiple waypoints and that some of those waypoints may have been placed off from the intended route. I have just tried using the trip planner to plot a route and find it is open to the same problem we all used to find on Mapsource or Basecamp. If the point chosen happens to be a layby or the start of a sliproad the device will simply follow instructions and take you into that layby/up that slip road.

Happily Mapsource now has a handy feature to prevent this happening- it creates unannounced via points automatically but if you place a point off from the road it creates a waypoint and shows up as a green dot on the map. It is then easy to zoom in on any green dots and correct as required. None of this is possible on the device so I suspect that the OP had inadvertanly create a route with badly placed waypoints. The device would then obey its master and take him to these points.

That of course makes the device shite!

I fully accept that others have had problems with the Nav 6, this response is confined to the problems experienced by the original poster, from whom we have heard nothing since

John

Having looked at a map I'm really struggling to understand why a "simple route from Gloucester to Taunton" would need 11 waypoints. Either you want to get there as quickly as possble using the motorway or, far more likely on a bike, you want to avoid motorways. Garmin have already thought of this and given you the option to tick an "avoid motorways" box.

If the route really needed all those points it would be much better planned on a PC using Basecamp or Mapsource. That way you could have had via points rather than waypoints and a route using whatever roads you wished.

John
Because I wanted to take my chosen route, not Garmin's chosen route. i don't carry a PC with me to program my satnav, John. If the device allows a user to enter something, it should be capable of computing what's been entered or it should show a warning such as too many waypoints. Surely a £650 satnav should be capable of handling 11 waypoints? Or at least warning the user if not.

If I'm doing a trip rather than a journey to get somewhere I use Motogoloco.

It works for me because a trip is often know in advance and I can start plotting and refining and with motogoloco you can do that on several devices even though the eventual download maybe from just the one that's paired to your Nav.

BTW... in this instance I'm with Rick, user error seems very likely to have played a part, a 2 hour fuck up on a 150 mile journey requires a joint user and Nav effort.

No user error. I entered the route I wanted. It took me on a different, longer route. How do you explain the layby error?

No. the Surface pro is a completely different OS from a different manufacturer. Your argument is daft. Upgrading from any mac to another mac is totally painless. It seems the majority find the Nav 6, from Nav 5 find it problematic.

What do you mean 'put the work in?' Surely a device that allows a user to enter 11 waypoints should be able to handle 11 waypoints?

Do you fancy a swop for a Zumo 590. With cash coming your way.
PM me if interested
Can't PM you. ??? I did try.
Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going back to the first post (strange thing indeed on here, dealing with the question rather than wandering off into abuse!) I am convinced that he is discribing operator error. It sounds like he is using the trip planner function to create routes with multiple waypoints and that some of those waypoints may have been placed off from the intended route. I have just tried using the trip planner to plot a route and find it is open to the same problem we all used to find on Mapsource or Basecamp. If the point chosen happens to be a layby or the start of a sliproad the device will simply follow instructions and take you into that layby/up that slip road.

Happily Mapsource now has a handy feature to prevent this happening- it creates unannounced via points automatically but if you place a point off from the road it creates a waypoint and shows up as a green dot on the map. It is then easy to zoom in on any green dots and correct as required. None of this is possible on the device so I suspect that the OP had inadvertanly create a route with badly placed waypoints. The device would then obey its master and take him to these points.

That of course makes the device shite!

I fully accept that others have had problems with the Nav 6, this response is confined to the problems experienced by the original poster, from whom we have heard nothing since

John
Hi John, infact the layby incident in my original post happened when I had just entered a destination and setting was fastest route.

No user error. I entered the route I wanted. It took me on a different, longer route. How do you explain the layby error?

I tried by suggesting that it is very easy to put a point on your route in the wrong place .using the trip planner. And most experienced users on here will tell you that puting 11 waypoints in a trip is asking for trouble. Normally I would have only 2 waypoints, the start and the finish, via points are what you need to get the route you want without the problems that come with waypoints. I only ever put an extra waypoint in if I really must go there,maybe to meet up with a friend along the way. You never did explain why you put so many waypoints in your "simple route".

I plan my routes at home or, when on tour, I carry a small notebook computer - not much bigger than a tablet-I can read my Emails, check out dubious sites on the net and properly plan routes before downloading to my device. You should try it. Using the trip planner on the device can only ever be second best, why spend all that money and then not use it fully. You sound like you want it to read your mind, in time such capabilites might come but for now we all have to put some effort into learning how these things work.

You clearly are not prepared to even consider it might be user error. . Did you just post so we could all say "there, there, poor you.send the nasty SatNav back"

Sorry to disapoint.

John

If you know where you are going use fucking road signs not a sat nav!!

The lay-by error, can happen its a machine and has to read mapping data, sometimes it can get confused, not really that much of an error. its only 600 quid. If you want accurate GPS, get military grade stuff that controls missiles, oh it only costs a few millions :)

Navigate using tracks, don't convert to route :)

I always use Basecamp to plan routes. Last thing before transferring to the Nav is zoom all the way in and look for oddities, like shaping points in dodgy positions.

Every now and again I'll spot the "layby error". It's normally when the layby is in the inside of a long bend. Logically the Nav will take it as the layby is shorter than the original road and invariably not marked with a lower speed limit, so the GPS thinks it's faster.

The Nav/Basecamp will only ever be as good as the 3rd party map data that they use. If that data doesn't identify the layby as a layby then the GPS has no more information to go by and makes a logical choice.

I tried by suggesting that it is very easy to put a point on your route in the wrong place .using the trip planner. And most experienced users on here will tell you that puting 11 waypoints in a trip is asking for trouble. Normally I would have only 2 waypoints, the start and the finish, via points are what you need to get the route you want without the problems that come with waypoints. I only ever put an extra waypoint in if I really must go there,maybe to meet up with a friend along the way. You never did explain why you put so many waypoints in your "simple route".

I plan my routes at home or, when on tour, I carry a small notebook computer - not much bigger than a tablet-I can read my Emails, check out dubious sites on the net and properly plan routes before downloading to my device. You should try it. Using the trip planner on the device can only ever be second best, why spend all that money and then not use it fully. You sound like you want it to read your mind, in time such capabilites might come but for now we all have to put some effort into learning how these things work.

You clearly are not prepared to even consider it might be user error. . Did you just post so we could all say "there, there, poor you.send the nasty SatNav back"

Sorry to disapoint.

John

Exactly correct sir however the op will be along in a minute to criticise you for trying to offer helpful solutions:comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom