Can bus GPS power plug.

twizzle

Devil may care...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my GSA 12 I had the plug just behind the headstock for my GPS, I've still got the GPS end, anybody know if the RNT SX has the same plug into the loom?

Yes - look on left side of bike just below the front of the tank. Hidden behind a frame tube.

Ok - tried to wire it in today - found the plug cable tied to the frame tube behind the Aux socket, pulled off the dummy plug end to expose a two pin female oval plug - this is not the same as the Garmin GPS plug I had on my 1200 GSA which is a three pin ( BMW) part, white with three wires, one of which is redundant - i have DIN plug from my 1150 so I wired that to the lead, but the GPS will not take power from that source - the cradle and lead are ok, as tested on a non canbus bike.

Assume the Aux socket does not like Zumo's

Nippy Normans website states that the RNT does not have the canbus socket... So what is the one I've found...And anybody know what plug it takes??

This was really bugging me - spent an hour looking today - just been back to the garage - The fucker was staring me in the face.

If anybody else is looking for it, follow the top left frame tube to the first down tube member, it's cable tied to the down tube member facing forwards.

The one I found is further back behind the AUX socket... That must be for something else!!

Still problem solved.

T

I was going to use the power socket on the left side as didn't realise there's such a plug as you describe.

I've got a Garmin 590.What's the connection needed ?

Ta

The plug has a protective cover, once you have cut the cable tie, you can get a small electrical screwdriver to help left the clasp to release the cap.

Great,ta.

Are you using this mount ?

Hi, I used that mount, I thought it was cheaper from my BMW dealer tho..
I had issues with the Garmin mount mating to the face, but I've seen others using washers or spacers & slightly longer screws to get over this issue, it may be the same for other mounts, but it's great as it tilts to stop the sun reflecting back at you

No, I'm using a RAM mount into one of the handle bar bolts.

All fitted, cable tied in and working! Sorted.

Sat navs, tablets, iPhones, smart phones, ipods etc are all 5 volts. Whilst some of the BMW sat navs look as if they're 12 volt by connecting direct to a 12 volt power supply, the voltage dropper is built into the cradle

My AUX socket would not power my Garmin via a plug in... Don't know why ?

Oh well.I'll find out soon enough.

Don't really want to mount a GPS bracket etc as will only use it for occasional trip away and prefer the bare look without such adornments.

My AUX socket would not power my Garmin via a plug in... Don't know why ?
That's usually caused by the USB cable you're using being a data cable rather than a charging / power cable. The data cable makes the Garmin think it's connected to a pc rather than a power supply.

3BR Powersports (link) are the only company I've found selling them and that specifically state their mini usb cables are power cables and not data.

I was using a Garmin Mount power lead, with a Hella plug for the DIN socket, the BMW was having none of it.

I then tried it on my Harley ( no can bus there) and it worked fine off the Aux socket ( or in HD terms Cigar lighter!!)

So, I used the canbus socket and BMW plug - works fine.

Arrived today.

Very solid bit of kit with bar mount options provided..

ed4d0cefc01cbd9161be7a3deb42db63.jpg

Back
Top Bottom