Who's ever had a drive-shaft snap ??? What mileage and warnings did you have ?

My 2010 Twincam has just had its second driveshaft at 140k miles.

This time it had sounded ropey for a while, but a definite increase in noise made me check at the rear wheel.

In fact so noisy, it was making more of a clatter after I had turned the engine off to coast in from work in the early hours.

When I parked in the garage and put it on the stand I couldn't actually turn the rear wheel, the gearbox end UJ had seized.

The dealer couldn't believe I was still riding it, but luckily caught it before it caused any damage (only to the wallet :) )

So, by my reckoning, 2 in 140K, they last approx 70k each (which was when the first one was changed) so if you are at 60k it is probably coming to the end.

Dazlove

Mike,
would you mind help me understand (English not being my first language):
Last winter when doing the maintenance of my 2005 R12GS (50000 km) I pulled the drive shaft while you had my FD for rebuild. The joint moved all smooth and I could not feel the slightest play at all. However, they moved very easy in the middle section, while having just a bit more resistance towards the ends of their possible movement. I thought that was natural as they obviously move in the middle sector all the time.

When reading your post I'm wondering if the "loose" that I found is the same "loose" you refer to as a sign of soon failure.

Thanks in advance.

..,... I don't particularly like chains but am beginning to think BMW shaft drives are more trouble and risk than they're worth.........

Over the course of 42 years I have owned 10 different BMW bikes, all from new, all fitted with shaft drive, with an average of 40k miles per bike, some of them regularly ridden at high speeds over German autobahnen for long distances, and I have never had a moment's trouble with the shaft drives.

Trouble - 0
Risk - 0

I do sympathise with anyone who does not trust their bike to hold together when riding fast as it would destroy the enjoyment for me, so I am grateful not to have been affected.......

Get Mikeyboy to check it and rebuild if necessary. It's not worth the worry.

If the shaft U/J's have any tightness when moved by hand it's at end of life. Obviously, if the U/Js have become loose it's past end of life. Take it off the bike and check. Then send to Mike for rebuild. Hermes will cost about £5 to send.

Also check the splines for wear as even a new shaft can't solve that issue.

Back
Top Bottom