Anyone exported at GS to France?

I am not sure how they can assess the limits of road or "unroadworthyness"

There is also no annual Road tax in France, UK equivalent VED

All the stuff normally checked after an accident - bald tyres, non working brakes, bouncy suspension, etc, etc

As far as I know there is a bhp limit on exporting bikes to France. I got my 2008 GSA when the owner retired to France and found it was over the bhp limit. He had investigated all sorts of work arounds and failed.
Not any more.
What did the EU ever do for us?

Do you know if they will accept a certificate of conformity from BMW UK or does this need to be issued from BMW France ?

I've got an F800GS I need to take over next April and register so good to get prepared :)

Do you know if they will accept a certificate of conformity from BMW UK or does this need to be issued from BMW France ?

I've got an F800GS I need to take over next April and register so good to get prepared :)

As in my reply earlier in the thread I found when I was registering my bike in Austria that they insisted on one from Austria. My advice was and is that you should check first. BMW UK used to supply them free of charge but now they charge, you don't want to end up paying for something they wont accept in France. Of course you could argue wth them that its a European certificate and therefore should be accepted anywhere in Europe. Faced with an official saying no I took the easy way out and paid for a local one.

John

A good question. When I registered my car I just got a CoC from the company in the UK and it was accepted without problem in France ... the car in question was a Renault Laguna :) I have to say I had no problems whatsoever registering my car and the prefecture staff could not have been more helpful... but I do recognise that things can be different from one place to another. The thing is you just need to roll up and try it out. What really surprised me was the CoC I got from Renault UK was in English and I had no problem with its acceptance?? Normally English and a French bureaucrate don't sit well together :)

OK I found this link which might be helpful to some, OK its in French but Google translate makes a fair job of making sense of it

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/N367

It does say this under COC, which does suggest it should be issued by the manufacturers representative in France

'Certificate of conformity to an EC type or attestation of identification to an EC type , issued by the manufacturer of the vehicle. If you do not have them, you must claim them from the builder or his representative in France. If this manufacturer no longer exists, you can request an identification certificate from the Dreal. Contact this service for documents and appointments to have your vehicle inspected.'

It also says this which is interesting, does this mean that for later vehicles under 3.5 tonnes already registered in an EU country you can just use youe existing registration document as proof of EU conformity ?

'Regional Directorate for Environment, Planning and Housing (Dreal) new window
If the vehicle was previously registered in a country of the European Union and its GVWP does not exceed 3.5 tonnes, you can present instead of the certificate of conformity or the certificate of identification to a CE type your card gray, provided that it contains all the information necessary for its registration'

Just found this on the BMW Motorrad France site here
https://www.bmw-motorrad.fr/fr/serv...ion0.html#/section-importer-depuis-l-etranger

It might help someone

To obtain an identification certificate in order to import and register a vehicle in France,

It is necessary to send us:

• A copy of the proof of purchase of the vehicle in the name of the applicant (deed of sale, deed of sale or purchase invoice with the intra-Community number if the vehicle was acquired from a professional)
• A full photocopy of the foreign registration certificate
• For a vehicle from a country where traffic is on the left, a photocopy of the certificate proving the presence of a meter in km / h and miles or km / h, as well as appropriate front lights right-hand drive (certificate which can be issued by a BMW Motorrad dealer)
• Downloadable import form below
• A check of 170 € TTC to the order of BMW France (or 183 € if the check comes from a bank domiciled abroad)

To the following address :
BMW
Import / Export Service
CS60025
67013 STRASBOURG Cedex

To be accompanied in the constitution of this file, it is possible to contact us on 0825 000 269 *.
The processing time of the file will be about 2 weeks, upon receipt of the complete file. During the examination of the file, the Import / Export Service may contact you for further information. The identification certificate will be sent to you as soon as possible.

Please note that certain models of vehicles from countries outside Europe will not be able to be upgraded to European standards. The list is available from customer service on 0825 000 269 *.

You need to get in touch with someone who has the appropriate form... that is the French BMW CoC the reason I say this is this... and this is absolutely 100 % true.

When we first arrived in France we had to get our health care sorted out. It is very important as personal insurance is very expensive. So we go to the doctor and explain that while we have the appropriate form the date on it is a year out. Hmm... he said I see what you mean... then said "look all they want to see is a form you have the correct form but the date is wrong my advice is that you photocopy the form and change the date you will have no problem I can assure you these people only want to do their job they are not detectives" Well to be honest we just could not do that we are stupidly law abiding but we got our situation sorted legally anyway. BUT the take home message here is get a French BMW CoC form from someone who has one copy it but change the VIN and reg details jobs a good'un :)

When I registered my Kwak in France, I had a CoC from Kawasaki Uk. There was no question over it.

Well a quick update, BMW UK are useless

I spoke to them regarding getting a CoC and they tell me it currently is taking 3~4 months for them to issue

Well a quick update, BMW UK are useless

I spoke to them regarding getting a CoC and they tell me it currently is taking 3~4 months for them to issue

My understanding is that these documents come from Germany but the timescale mentioned is a disgrace. I got mine two years ago in a matter of days. .

The guys at BMW France are saying 10 days, think I will get it from them :)

The guys at BMW France are saying 10 days, think I will get it from them :)
BMW UK took 6 months to deliver mine
The house purchase has taken a lot longer than I thought. I still do not have a permanent address in France, or anywhere else for that matter.
IIRC you will need a "Quitas Fiscal" from your local tax office to confirm no VAT is owed. The original sales invoice, or rudimentary bill of sale if second hand should do. You should need to prove who you are (passport), and prove you live at your address (utility bill).
Armed with the quitas fiscal, take it, the other documents, V5 and CoC to the correct vehicle licensing office, et Bon Chance.
I would like to know how you get on, we have 6 bikes and 2 cars to get through ...

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom