Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to Gibraltar May 2018

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post

However, if you want to go from Calais to Gibraltar in four days, you'll be flat-out on motorways and praying not to get stopped by the cops. France in two days, Spain in two days is do-able but dull. Using any interesting combination of roads makes it a minimum five-day trip, but more realistically a six or seven day trip. Without tents.
    Simon W's estimates match up with nine, near enough.

What sometimes surprises people, used to a sprint from Wales up to Scotland, on their first venture across the water is the sheer size of France and then Spain. I think a lot of this comes from the atlases and maps from school, where the UK is shown as the centre of the world and often not dissimilar to our Latin neighbours in size, when the reality is that they are roughly twice as large.

Similarly, very often people cannot equate to what 1,300 miles really is. Pwllheli (as you live in north Wales) to John o'groats is 600 miles direct. It's easier in the UK as you know where you are going or near enough. Would you do that in one day or two or even perhaps three? 1,300 miles is twice that and miles are no shorter when the languages changes. If your honest ("Everyday mate, no sweat") answer is you'd do home to the north tip of Scotland in two, then simple sums says you are definitely looking at four to do Calais to Gibraltar without a lot of hanging about inbetween... and you still fancy camping, perhaps?

Now feature in that you probably do not want to be running into the church, sweating like a rapist, to get married. So you might like to build in a bit of slack into the journey time, too. I am not a big believer that things WILL go wrong but equally I like to have say half a day spare. Here's a good example why: If you have the puncture from hell on a Sunday in France, there is a very good chance you'll not get a sniff of motorbike shop open to sell you a replacement until Monday lunchtime. That's at least half a day (probably longer) sat twirling your thumbs.... and the remaining distance to your betrothed is still the same.

What would I think carefully about doing?

1. I'd gird my loins for the sea tossing (ho ho) to Santander. I am a piss poor sailor but I'd run the risk

2. I'd make the 24 hours a fun time with my two or three mates, building the excitement of riding off into Spain when the ship's doors open; Four Sancho Panza, on your iron steeds

3. I'd find a good but reasonably easy to follow reliable route down to Gibraltar (see RiDE site, for example)

4. I'd take say three to four days to ride down, chillin' with my homies, kickin' back and whatever else like minded bikermates get up to

5. I'd arrive with the dust on my boots alone enough to tell a tale to impress my fiancé and just a knowing silent nod to my three travelling deparado companions, enough to say..... "We ARE the knights of the road"

Then I'd get married.

The return? You'll get told what to do. Get used to it. But nobody will ever be able to take away the knowledge that the three of you (or is it four) DID IT to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_456 View Post
    Hi all

Well me and the fiance are off too Gibraltar May next year to get married. Me and 2/3 friends are heading over on bikes. Never done a European ride before so after some advice and route suggestions maybe? Don't think the ferry is really an option as two friends get sea sick. Also the fiance will be returning from Gibraltar on the bike!

any tips advice be very much appreciated!
    I suffer from Sea sickness and have done the Santander boat at least twenty times. Never been sick once. But I always take seasickness pills just in case. If it gets rough, I go and lie down in my cabin. It's only been rough once. I first did the crossing in the early nineties, I think I was the only bike on the boat then. It's always been a great way to get there. Book the Pont Aven, it's the best boat - luxurious. You won't regret it.
    Last edited by Hubcap; 31-08-17 at 16:46. Reason: Typo

right guys many thanks for the info, so been doing a bit of thinking from the advice from you guys and come to the conclusion of maybe a 4-6 day trip from Calais to Gibraltar with the other lads.

then maybe the ride from santander return who knows! all depends on time off from work etc as just changed jobs too!

will definitely have a look at the RiDE website too

Looks like you've got it all planned out.

Enjoy your jaunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    Segovia is my namesake and no, he was a very famous classical guitarist.
    Andres
    Went to see him in Dublin many years ago. Absolutely brilliant.
    The town of Segovia is well worth a visit.
    Look at the next post for a picture.
    Myke

As promised
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There is an interesting article on Sergovia in Ride magazine. Definitely a place to visit next may

May 2018? Sufficient time for you to do a few trips to Europe yourselves and figure out what it takes for a ride to Gibraltar

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have edited this thread, moving the discussion over how far / how old riders are / can go, to their own thread.

Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12