S1000R camshaft failure at 900 miles

vincentrapide

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all. As the title says, my 2017 S1000R Sport went back to the dealer with what sounded like a severe tappet rattle. Sure enough the diagnosis is a worn camshaft. At 900 miles.
I've read of failures with the early 2010 RR model (I had one, no probs with that), but I'm curious as to whether anybody else has had such a problem.
Cheers

Suzuki had a worldwide recall on 650 Vstroms recently for a few very isolated cases of cam wear.
It must have cost a fortune, all bikes (covered by the recall) with less than 2.5k had new cams & buckets, all others had a valve clearance check, irrespective of mileage etc.
Good on them I say.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Suzuki had a worldwide recall on 650 Vstroms recently for a few very isolated cases of cam wear.
It must have cost a fortune, all bikes (covered by the recall) with less than 2.5k had new cams & buckets, all others had a valve clearance check, irrespective of mileage etc.
Good on them I say.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Perhaps BMW will do too once they have coped with the recalls on GSs and 9Ts.....

Hello all. As the title says, my 2017 S1000R Sport went back to the dealer with what sounded like a severe tappet rattle. Sure enough the diagnosis is a worn camshaft. At 900 miles.
I've read of failures with the early 2010 RR model (I had one, no probs with that), but I'm curious as to whether anybody else has had such a problem.
Cheers
On a happy note: after a bit of pushing and shoving on my part plus excellent support from my dealer, a new bike will be collected next week at no cost to me. Thanks to all for your contributions.
Cheers.

Cheers

My 16 plate XR had the same problem

Back
Top Bottom