Clutch lever - suddenly reaching handlebar

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Popped down to Maidstone today for a meeting. Stopped for fuel half way (29 liters! - glad I stopped when I did ).

Came to pull away, off the main stand and discovered something weird about the clutch lever. It now reached the handlebar and the was only just enough movement in the system for me to change gear.

I've got back home OK, though I kept thinking "is out about to fail totally?!".

My thoughts are it's the master cylinder piston that's shagged. I can't see a leak anywhere and despite the little movement, it maintains pressure if held in.

Any ideas? Is they're a way too check the master cylinder, short of removing it?

Cheers

Did it not reach the handgrip before (mine does)? Does it improve (ie is there is more 'feel') if you pump the lever?

Thanks Mike. Yes, the lever would reach the handgrip if you wanted, but in normal operation, to feed the clutch in during changes, you'd only pull it back about 2/3 of the way, so I guess about 10-15mm away from the grip.

I'll have to get out to the bike and see if pumping the lever helps restore some of the it's feel. ..

I had the same symptom about three months ago. This started with a 200 miles non stop trip to Scotland. When I tried to change gear coming off motorway the clutch lever pulled right in with not enough travel to change gear. Had to basically force into gears. This is the second time in my ownership this happened. The first was when the old owner topped up with normal clutch fluid. I changed secondary cylinder after that. This time I bought a second hand master cylinder off ebay £70 nearly new from Lithuania. Now fitted works fine. Both had 64k on them and inspection showed them to be worn. My mechanic thinks on my long journey the heat expanded an air bubble in the line which stopped me from changed gear hence why ok on short journeys. All good now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same symptom about three months ago. This started with a 200 miles non stop trip to Scotland. When I tried to change gear coming off motorway the clutch lever pulled right in with not enough travel to change gear. Had to basically force into gears. This is the second time in my ownership this happened. The first was when the old owner topped up with normal clutch fluid. I changed secondary cylinder after that. This time I bought a second hand master cylinder off ebay £70 nearly new from Lithuania. Now fitted works fine. Both had 64k on them and inspection showed them to be worn. My mechanic thinks on my long journey the heat expanded an air bubble in the line which stopped me from changed gear hence why ok on short journeys. All good now

R1150GS's do have normal clutch fluid???

Didn't realise it was in the 1150 forum. That besides I think my problem was a mixture of worn master and slave cylinders combined with trapped air expanding when hot

Brake fluid condition? Is is black and minging?
Maybe the clutch slave cylinder is about to expire (the one on the back of the gearbox).

Clamp the clutch fluid line and pull the clutch lever ... If it's solid the problem is the slave cylinder .... If the lever still pulls back to the bar it's the master cylinder.

Break fluid should be good, i changed it about 6 months ago - but i guess it could be crap. I'll check it.

Steptoe. Thanks for the tip . I'll try it in the morning.

Just done both checks.

The fluid looks like metallised coffee!

Clamping the hose does give resistance at the lever.

So the slave is shagged. Maybe that heat in Italy was the last straw and I was just lucky to get all the way home with it. But doing a search on here I found Ian Hartley's post on the same issue. The fluid in my reservoir looks just like his did...

Time to get me wallet out

Just done both checks.

The fluid looks like metallised coffee!

Clamping the hose does give resistance at the lever.

So the slave is shagged. Maybe that heat in Italy was the last straw and I was just lucky to get all the way home with it. But doing a search on here I found Ian Hartley's post on the same issue. The fluid in my reservoir looks just like his did...

Time to get me wallet out

Get it changed as soon as. I had to fit a new clutch because cluch fliud got onto the plates. Changing the slave cylinder is nowhere near as bad as some make out-but then I spent years fixing Citroens!

John

Get it changed as soon as. I had to fit a new clutch because cluch fliud got onto the plates. Changing the slave cylinder is nowhere near as bad as some make out-but then I spent years fixing Citroens!

John
Thanks for the tip . I'll not be using it until I sort it as I think I've been lucky so far. I don't want to stretch it

Mike, you've got me thinking. My bike already has a braided line for the clutch. But would you suggest replacing it? Or was your thought to change if it was a standard 'rubber' hose?

My plan is just to flush it through thoroughly when I fit the new slave. ..

Cheers

Mike, you've got me thinking. My bike already has a braided line for the clutch. But would you suggest replacing it? Or was your thought to change if it was a standard 'rubber' hose?

My plan is just to flush it through thoroughly when I fit the new slave. ..

Cheers

Not all Advs had braided clutch lines from new. :thumb2

Check to make sure it doesn't have a rubber sleeve on the slave cylinder end - it holds moisture and rots the banjo (that piece of advice courtesy of Steptoe)...

Funny that - Same thing has happened to my Guzzi Griso, rapid change in operation to no pressure at the lever, pump the lever and you get good pressure which holds the clutch with no leaks or loss. Changed fluid and bled system (it was quite black) no change, Tried new piston and seals in the brembo master - no change.

My question is related to Steptoe's advice - can you clamp an ss braided hose without damaging it ?? (to check if there is resistance at lever.) to determine if problem is at master or slave.:nenau

an you clamp an ss braided hose without damaging it ??

Definitely not worth the risk, you could easily tear through the inner lining.

Not sure how the Guzzi is laid out but you could plug it from the end of the hose instead (where it connects to the slave).

Not all Advs had braided clutch lines from new. :thumb2

Check to make sure it doesn't have a rubber sleeve on the slave cylinder end - it holds moisture and rots the banjo (that piece of advice courtesy of Steptoe)...
Well, I just clamped mine and it worked fine for the test. I'd be very surprised if any damage was done. I can't imagine why any would be. Just don't get a pair of mole grips directly onto the hose! I used a hose clamp in my case.

Funny that - Same thing has happened to my Guzzi Griso, rapid change in operation to no pressure at the lever, pump the lever and you get good pressure which holds the clutch with no leaks or loss. Changed fluid and bled system (it was quite black) no change, Tried new piston and seals in the brembo master - no change.

My question is related to Steptoe's advice - can you clamp an ss braided hose without damaging it ?? (to check if there is resistance at lever.) to determine if problem is at master or slave.:nenau

Mike thanks for the heads up on that rubber shroud on the banjo. I'll check it out. I might end up with a new hose after all!

Parts from MW due in tomorrow. But looking at photos on the web - as i do a little prep before i get in there - i can see there is a seal in the gearbox itself that the push rod runs through.

Should i replace this as well, while i'm in there? And presumably that means draining the gearbox (not a big deal at all).

I mean one of these:

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 22.34.15.jpg

EDIT: Just seen this says 5 speed gearboxes... I thought all the gearboxes were 6 speed on the 1150?

Back
Top Bottom