650GS-Single Oil Pouring Out from Filler Cap

ThePackTrack

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an issue that I'm hoping someone here can help with. Today we went for a ride, mainly offroad riding around Mt Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. My wifes bike started to spirt oil from the filler cap after about 200kms of rough road (but nothing we haven't been dealing with for the last 8 months in Africa). When the oil cap was opened and the engine started again the oil was rapidly rising and overflowing. We waited for a while and tried again and everything seemed fine, so we continued the 40km back to our accommodation and it seemed to run fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Cheers,

Stu and Janell
ThePackTrack.com

The possibilities:

Waterpump seals leaking.
Has coolant level dropped, is the oil milky?

Fuel in the oil.
Can you smell it? Fuel pressure regulator/injector faulty.

Too much oil.
It's a dry sump engine although a quantity of oil will be in the sump, was it completely drained at the last oil change?

I'd suggest an oil change, make sure it's completely drained and refill, double check but I think 2.3L run it for a while and check again.

Check engine breathers not trapped/blocked.

Hopefully it's nothing more serious. :beerjug:

The possibilities:

Waterpump seals leaking.

Fuel in the oil.

Too much oil.
It's a dry sump engine although a quantity of oil will be in the sump, was it completely drained at the last oil change?

I'd suggest an oil change, make sure it's completely drained and refill, double check but I think 2.3L run it for a while and check again.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the detailed response. Just a bit more context. The last oil change was after a blown head gasket which meant the head was skimmed and new gasket etc, this was done by an excellent mechanic who was very particular to detail and I was very much part of the repair. We also did the waterpump and seals at the same time. At the moment the oil isn't milky.

We did have an issue with the injector just recently and had it cleaned in an ultrasonic bath, seemed to work, well it runs well anyway. This could be a problem, it doesn't seem to smell but the oil is very runny, not as it should be at all. How could this be a problem and what can we do? Is this the rings?

I don't think it is too much oil, we measured out the 2.3L of oil and didn't use any more. We have the Touratech extended range tanks, so have 3 breather hoses so I don't think the tanks have an issue breathing.

Thought?

Cheers,

Stu

The possibilities:

Waterpump seals leaking.

Fuel in the oil.

Too much oil.

We are going to go ahead with the oil change for now, but we won't know if its fixed the issue until it causes a problem again, probably in the middle of the Congo surrounded by bandits somewhere!!

Also check your air filters not blocked with dust.

Back
Top Bottom