Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1100 -v- 1150 -v- 1200

Following a new path Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I've had a 100 RT, 1100 GS, 1150 GS, and 1200 GSA and I've had a KTM. - Currently have a RNT Scrambler...

If my budget was < £3k I would be very happy with another 1150 GS....non Servo - Single spark around 2002.

I'd budget for a decent seat, suspension upgrade and Tobinators... Some soft luggage and sorted.
    Coming Soon: "Sands of Time" .... A Dali based homage to a Sand Racing Evo....

Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem77 View Post
    I think a R1150GS is probably the most suitable bike but I'm not sure about the 850 final drive ratio, most of my touring will still be on roads so perhaps the standard diff is more appropriate ?
    The problem is the GS's first gear is really too high when it gets tricky. The only "fiddle" around this is to reduce your idle speed to about 900rpm from the 1050/1100 rpm stock. The trouble with this is that you have very little torque and it stalls easy. Also the oilheads have a dry clutch so you end up using it a lot. This is where the adventure is better, but higher in the saddle.

In the ideal world, you take on of the hybrid boxes forsale on here and build a light weight around it.

Having ridden the 1150gs and GSA offroad the lower 1st is definately better, but I prefer the lower seat height of the GS to the GSA (im only 5'10 so the GS fits me better and can get both feel flat on the floor and you need that latitude off road IMHO.

Incidentally, if you go onto the facebook page R1150gs owners a guy called John wilkinson is selling is Hp850 soon. Might breach your 3k budget though but a great bit of bike customising.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by blueranger View Post
    The problem is the GS's first gear is really too high when it gets tricky. The only "fiddle" around this is to reduce your idle speed to about 900rpm from the 1050/1100 rpm stock. The trouble with this is that you have very little torque and it stalls easy. Also the oilheads have a dry clutch so you end up using it a lot. This is where the adventure is better, but higher in the saddle.

In the ideal world, you take on of the hybrid boxes forsale on here and build a light weight around it.

Having ridden the 1150gs and GSA offroad the lower 1st is definately better, but I prefer the lower seat height of the GS to the GSA (im only 5'10 so the GS fits me better and can get both feel flat on the floor and you need that latitude off road IMHO.

Incidentally, if you go onto the facebook page R1150gs owners a guy called John wilkinson is selling is Hp850 soon. Might breach your 3k budget though but a great bit of bike customising.
    Also it just happens ai have a late gsa cluster for sale with the all important enduro low first gear for sale. apply within
    Al Jesse panniers for sale , fits a 1200 GS /GSA Air cooled £450 posted.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I have a 2001 1150 up for sale, non-servo ABS, number of farkles to make it more comfortable etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12