Anyone bought a new Macbook Pro recently?

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My awesome but very high mileage 2008 Macbook is due an upgrade.

Looking at options currently and wondered if any of you guys have bought one of the new Macbook pros with the touch bar and if so, is it any good?if you could, would you go back and buy the conventional keyboard version?

Alternatively, would a low mileage decent spec older version be a better buy?

When I bought my current Macbook there were only a couple of option so the decision was easy "I'll have one of those please" Now there's a myriad of possibilities! :blast

All I do know is that I'll buy the best spec version I can afford to ensure it's as resilient to future progress as possible. If the new one lasts me as long as my current version I'll be a very happy boy!

I had one, sold it, bought a macbook air (2015 model)

The only good thing about the touch bar is 4 ports.

Would I get the touch bar? Nope.

What would the use be?

I've gotta say I do like the touch bar. I've had a play on one and it becomes very intuitive very quickly for switching between multiple apps when working.............for work use I can see it being a boon, for home? Mmmmmmm, maybe more a nice to have?

I've a what was a top of the range Macbook pro from 2014 and don't really see any need to 'upgrade' and to be honest, unless yours is getting shonky I'd have thought you'd be in a similar boat? Mine's still way more powerful than I need 90% of the time so imagine yours is the same?

Two things really put me off them though (and the first is true of mine);

Lack of storage ~ Apple trying to force you to use the Cloud. I refuse to so end up with external drives; outrageous IMO on such an expensive bit of kit but hey, that's Apple for you :rolleyes:
Price ~ With Apples's current pricing structure and the shit exchange rates new Macbook's are stoooooopid money.

Sooooooo..............if it was my money I'd not bother replacing but if I really wanted to I'd go for a late last gen Macbook (2015/16?).

Andres

I've a what was a top of the range Macbook pro from 2014 and don't really see any need to 'upgrade' and to be honest, unless yours is getting shonky I'd have thought you'd be in a similar boat? Mine's still way more powerful than I need 90% of the time so imagine yours is the same?

Ah yes you're right but the latest software now won't run on my poor old girl so the OS will now just get further and further out of date.

Ah yes you're right but the latest software now won't run on my poor old girl so the OS will now just get further and further out of date.

Ah, good point, but again..........unless you're using it professionally do you NEED the latest software?

Andres

Ah, good point, but again..........unless you're using it professionally do you NEED the latest software?

Andres

No but all the software that I use and all the applications that are installed are starting to expect to be running on the latest platform so they're starting to get a little glitchy.

In which case it sounds like you've talked yourself into one of these ;)

Andres

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 363
So what software do you need and or run?

Safari
Spotify
Photos
TomTom Home
iTunes

And probably more ....

All of these apps have their own individual updates in order to keep up with the latest OS which I can no longer install on my 9 year old hardware.

in that case the touch bar is way overkill

I would recommend a used air (2015 is the same spec as new). or even a macbook 12in.

Yeah I have a fairly speccy 21.5" iMac that I use for any real sit down work / photo / video processing etc.

when you decide what to buy ( a 12" macbook is what I recommend as you have an iMac), buy a refurb from the apple store. It's usually a couple of hundred cheaper than new and has a full warranty.

No different to over spec on a bike.

I have gone from a 15” Pro, to 13” with touchbar. It’s great after you get used to it. No doubt more gimmick than essential, but it is good.

If nothing else it's worth it for the smilies :)

1f3ed9f1013699a30c0a462a467b9d60.jpg

Just need the forum to become compatible.

Suggest you look at this review

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-XSC_UG5_kU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
Yes, another £80.00 to plug your iphone into it!

I bought a NOS early 2015 MacBook pro 13” 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB ram 512 SSD Hard drive for £1350 in Feb this year, 2 USB 3 ports, 2 thunderbolt ports, HDMI port, SDXC port etc, very pleased lot lighter than 2010 that it replaced, need a external dvd/cd drive though. Still some in Ebay
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp715?locale=en_GB

Back
Top Bottom