Lake District Tour 2017

Omobono

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a Moto Guzzi fan actually also owning a BMW for when I want peace of mind.

I have just come back from the Lake District where I spent a beautiful (if somewhat wet) week. The bike was a BMW R1200RT, which served me rather well apart from one episode (see below). The bike would be perfect it if sounded like a Guzzi; but it doesn't, therefore it isn't. Still, I am very satisfied with it.

I have written about my 9 day-trip in a blog.

Those who may be interested find the link here

https://motocicletta10hp.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/day-1-home-to-lake-district-hq/

Enjoy! (or not, as the case may be...)

O

Very entertaining write-up. Particularly impressive considering (I assume) that English isn't your mother tongue...

Some nicely crafted words, such as this ;

". An excellent bike, this R1200RT, only marred by the most unexciting engine sound ever devised by human mind. For the rest, quite a treat, and that I could flip it right and left all day with great ease and with the panniers on board gives the measure of how much fun a proper touring bike can be. A real shame that the craze for the – otherwise certainly excellent – “Adventure bikes for 100% Tarmac use” has reduced or restricted the number of proper tourers on offer (no Moto Guzzi Norge or Breva anymore; no Ducati ST4; no KTM tourers because not enough “ready to race”; Triumphs, Yamahas and Kawasakis have too many cylinders, and they don’t sound right to me either)."

Thanks for posting !
A great trip report.

"Near Crook a beautiful Moto Guzzi Le Mans I (I think) magically appears out of a curve. I see the bike for a very short time, but that sound stays with me for long as I try to keep it in my memory and not think of the whining I have just below and in front of me."

Sadly it seems the only cure (if you own a 2013 onwards GS) is to buy a second bike that actually sounds nice !
Maybe an R9T ?

I think the whining the author refers to is exacerbated on the RT since the fairing reverberates the sound, certainly more so than on a GS model.

Great read i was over there in August also.
For anyone who has not ridden around the lakes and over the passes you need to go :clap:clap:clap

Hi all, I am a Moto Guzzi fan actually also owning a BMW for when I want peace of mind.

I have just come back from the Lake District where I spent a beautiful (if somewhat wet) week. The bike was a BMW R1200RT, which served me rather well apart from one episode (see below). The bike would be perfect it if sounded like a Guzzi; but it doesn't, therefore it isn't. Still, I am very satisfied with it.

I have written about my 9 day-trip in a blog.

Those who may be interested find the link here

https://motocicletta10hp.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/day-1-home-to-lake-district-hq/

Enjoy! (or not, as the case may be...)

O

Dump the RT and buy a Norge :thumb

Bizarrely I bought my Guzzi for peace of mind rather than a BMW. I then eventually bought my Honda for a but more upright comfort and longer suspension . I really should sell both and buy a Stelvio or a Norge .......

Dump the RT and buy a Norge :thumb

Bizarrely I bought my Guzzi for peace of mind rather than a BMW....

How was the Guzzi, was it reliable? I've always fancied one but have been put off by stories of terrible electrics and general fragility.

I enjoyed the report so thanks, although I have to say I thought the Wrynose/Hardknott bit was a tad over the top.

Just finished reading the blog. Great stuff , thanks for sharing it here. Reading some of the places you went through I'd definitely suggest you take a paper map next time ;)

If you went from Chester to Shifnal via Warrington whilst trying to avoid Motorways then you definitely need a map.

How was the Guzzi, was it reliable? I've always fancied one but have been put off by stories of terrible electrics and general fragility.

How is it ( I've still got it) ? It feels exactly the opposite of fragile. Really well built with quality components and a very high level of finish . It's final driving bearing failed a few years ago at about 9000miles , embarrassing at a UKGSer event so much piss taking despite the fact that that's a common GS failing and they take pretty much the same bearing, in fact I ordered the replacement from Motorworks.

Since then it's blown a fuse twice and on a foreign trip with a BMW riding mate I had another embarrassing failure when the dip beam element on the headlamp bulb failed . Slightly less expensive at £10 for a bulb than my mates failed ABS pump on the same trip :p

She's only up to 20k miles now and sadly has barely turned a wheel since I bought the Honda as its so much more comfortable for long days in the saddle. There is just something about a Guzzi though that means I just can't bring myself to sell her:(

I enjoyed the report so thanks, although I have to say I thought the Wrynose/Hardknott bit was a tad over the top.

We also went over the top last week.:D ....Wrynose Pass.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

BTW, I'de just like to say....We did all the right passes, but not necessarily in the right order.:D

Attachments

• mms_img-2671195860.jpg
    mms_img-2671195860.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 288
  • mms_img-9500932792-2.jpg
    mms_img-9500932792-2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 257

Back
Top Bottom