Basecamp trip planner help?

ianm00

Reaction score
Im trying to create a trip using trip planner in basecamp. I planning a round trip from UK to Oslo in Norway.

So far I have got to Vejile (Denmark) as a stopping point. The next leg should take me from Vejile to Oslo using the Hirtshals to Larvik ferry, how can I force bascamp to use the ferry instead of using a different ferry and going through sweden?

I would like to create a single route rather than one to the ferry and one from the ferry to Oslo as using trip planner only seems to allow one route per day and I like the features of trip planner providing start/destination times etc for planning the entire trip.

Thanks

Ian

I don't have access to BaseCamp at the moment, so cannot try to do it for you. Assuming the ferry crossing is shown on the map and is routable, I can only suggest:

1. That you check that your do not have seasonal closures ticked, just in case the ferry shuts down in some months. BaseCamp does not know what the time of year is, so defaults to safety by simply excluding any route that includes a seasonal closure. Also just check that you have not turned on / off some other preferences in BaseCamp that are forcing the route another way. In short: Try turning all your presences off, to see if that helps. For example, if you have selected 'wiggly roads', then the route via Sweden might (at least in the opinion of dumb - but really quite clever - BaseCamp) be 'more wiggly' than the ferry route you'd prefer to take. Similarly, if you have selected 'avoid unmade roads' the software might read an apporoach road to a ferry as being 'unmade', though that really is a guess

Similarly, if the route to your final destination is quicker via Sweden (I haven't looked at a map) than taking the ferry, then it might route you that way. Try changing the setting to 'most direct', to see if that changes anything, perhaps.

2. You try dragging the magenta line to the departure of the ferry and then to the arrival point. This should, in theory at least, force the magenta line along the ferry line's crossing

Report back when you have tried 1 and 2, please.

PS You can join two or more separate routes together into one. Lots of videos and websites on how to do that.

PPS You can create your own version of Trip Planner by simply changing any individual route's properties by changing the date of the route / time of departure / time of arrival / stop overtime at any intermediate point(s) etc etc

Wapping as provided the answer I think, providing your settings allow it and the ferry route is on the mapset you are using then you can get Basecamp to use it.

On a more general point, I can see the value of having the entire route in one for planning purposes but I think using one big route over several days is not such a good idea. The risk is that any small changes to your planned route could mean the device has to recalculate for you, on a very large route the chances of this resulting in changes you where not expecting are high especially early on in the route. Splitting the route into days or other sections (being on a ferry is an ideal time to change routes-its a natural break in your journey) allows you more flexibility if circumstances or your plans change. It also means the device has an easier time keeping you on the desired route

I did this on our 14 day tour of Hungary Romania Serbia & Croatia (we were living in Austria at the time). I created a 14 day route to work out the viability of the overall plan, then I created route for each day. This was easier for me because we had booked all the accomodation based on the places the overall plan showed we could get to. If you are winging it it is slightly more difficult as you don't have those fixed points, but you do have the ferries.

John

Thanks guys.

Reference Wapping point 1, I have tried several different settings fastest, curvy etc and made sure settings such as avoidances are not causing issues.
Point 2, When using trip planner it doesn't appear to allow you to modify the route by dragging, inserting points etc.

I did however manage to create a waypoint on the dotted ferry line in the middle of the sea and add this to the route which made the route go the correct way, however this seemed to confuse trip planner timings! From Vejile to the ferry should take approx 2.5 hours, the ferry 3.75 hours, from the ferry port to Oslo 1.75 hours. However when I set the starting time leaving Vejile at 9am it says I will arrive in Oslo at 21.23 which is not correct.

Im not sure how it calculates the ferry crossing time? Does it know ferry crossing times or is it assuming highways etc?
Im about to add a waypoint at each ferry point and then I can set departure and arrival times each side of the ferry to see if this gives better timing.

Grey One.

I was using trip planner as you can tell it the complete round trip, the number of Driving/Riding hours, the number of days. It then automatically divides the route into days for you. This Is good for planning and you also end up with separate routes for each day.

You can fiddle the times of any individual waypoints created in BaseCamp, from within their properties. At least you can from within a Mac.

Back
Top Bottom