What is Pinlock

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, possibly a stupid question, but?

What is pinlock, everyone raves about pinlock, and pinlock ready?

All iI've ever seen is two lumps on a visor..

ive just bought a new helmet and it has wat appears to be another visor loose inside the box

saying pinlock..

I gather its to do with misting visors ?

So what do i do, carry it wth me and swap it when the temperature drops?

(if thats the case ,it can feck right off, i'm not carrying anther piece of junk

in the back pack just incase)

Whats wrong with the old way of either cracking your visor slightly, or coating the

inside with washing up liquid or ant mist polish?.

Or is it another snake oil that we have been led to believe is a must have?

??

I've never used pinlock until this year.

Read the instructions and fit the pinlock to your visor.........you will be able to ride with your visor locked closed.......... doesn't really matter during the summer but during the winter it's a godsend.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

The pinlock is an inner visor that is held in place between the two pins in the main visor. Double glazing innit.

They work very well.

Can't wait to see the responses that will follow.........:popcorn.

Best thing since sliced bread. No steaming up even in the pouring rainy British summer.
Get it fitted and forget it but only use a very soft cloth to wipe it if it gets grubby.
Welcome to this century's technology.

Pinlock is a bit like double glazing on a visor, it also has a hydrophobic (hope I've got that the right way round) coating inside so that no misting forms on the inside of the visor.

You have to be careful though, riding around with the visor open, in the rain, means the pinlock won't work properly and will need cleaned/dried when you get home.

Properly fitted, they work very well, they can also be bought in various tints, although personally I have never seen the point.

Only disadvantage, won't stop your glasses misting up.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Well I have to say it doesnt do bollox all for me in the BMW helmet I have,I even changed the inner out for a new one and its still as bad in the rain as just a single visor skin.

Well I have to say it doesnt do bollox all for me in the BMW helmet I have,I even changed the inner out for a new one and its still as bad in the rain as just a single visor skin.
It sounds like it isn't seated properly all the way around. i have this problem on my system 6 Evo sometimes too.

It sounds like it isn't seated properly all the way around. i have this problem on my system 6 Evo sometimes too.

Don't the BMW 'System' helmets have a fully sealed double glazed visor?

It's never worked with my Shoei Neotec either.........

For those of you that can't get their Pinlocks to work do you realise that the small plastic posts that the Pinlock attaches to are usually elliptical/cam shaped? The idea being that you rotate them be small degrees to make sure the Pinlock visor seals correctly all around its periphery. Any gaps and they won't work.

Another tip is to clean the Pinlock visor in warm soapy water well before use. This ensures the silicone bead on it seals as well as it can to your helmet's visor.

I've had/got Pinlocks on Arai, Shoei, Bell, Nishua & Nexx lids and all have worked faultlessly when properly set up.

Andres

It's never worked with my Shoei Neotec either.........
Ditto that. Worse than useless becaus water condenses between the visor and the pinlock and can't be removed by conventional means (wiping or opening the visor).

+ 1 for pinlock in winter, or cold weather
the arai tour x 4 is fiddly to seal,
Oddly the pinlock in clear is considered not for road use on some helmets,
like the shoei hornet adventure , it states only 80% light value minimum is 85% ?
i still use mine as mist also reduces vision,

Works perfect in my Shoei GT Air providing I don't have the chin curtain installed. Just ordered a tinted one from Sports Bike Shop. They have a real good discount running at the mo.

Back
Top Bottom