2008 GS Adventure oil level sensor

bazman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi , it seems my oil level sensor is playing up as the oil can icon intermittently comes on, have checked oil and all good, cleaned terminals but no joy.
Question is where to purchase, would rather have a new one , but all I can find are second hand parts? Also have BMW insured warranty but unsure if this would be covered ?
Thanks in advance for any pointers :D

BMW dealer will sell you one and while your on the phone you can ask them if it is covered with your insurance. It probably is.

Nipped in yesterday and they could not tell me if it was covered under insurance. Hence thought I'd do it myself. May be worth speaking to someone else again.
Edit, managed to find my warranty and seems it's not covered , no big drama as the excess would probably outweigh the costings involved, will see if I can get a price for new one from them.

Bit odd that they don't know. Is there an excess on the policy? I haven't seen the documentation in years so don't know it any more. If there is then it probably isn't worth doing.

I searched motobins and motorworks but neither of them list the part.

Bit odd that they don't know. Is there an excess on the policy? I haven't seen the documentation in years so don't know it any more. If there is then it probably isn't worth doing.

I searched motobins and motorworks but neither of them list the part.
To be fair I mentioned to the lad in the passing at the service desk and he said they'd check it out when I brought it in. Rather know before hand though !! 100 quid on the excess. So all depends on price of new sensor I suppose

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Whats more worrying is that im certain thats light is oil pressure not oil level... this means one of a few things. Either you have pick up or oil pump problems or your oil is too thin or your oil pressure switch is faulty. If you rely on this light for oil level warning, by the time it comes on, damage is already happening due to low oil pressure. This would explain why you have low pressure now if the switch isn't faulty.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Whats more worrying is that im certain thats light is oil pressure not oil level... this means one of a few things. Either you have pick up or oil pump problems or your oil is too thin or your oil pressure switch is faulty. If you rely on this light for oil level warning, by the time it comes on, damage is already happening due to low oil pressure. This would explain why you have low pressure now if the switch isn't faulty.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hi Mike, if the oil icon AND red light flashes you are correct. In this instance it's just the oil can icon. Which the manual states sensor could be faulty.
383e253eb1d4299d7435fa9de80f0629.jpg
ec091572169a3ad031d4fd0afa934bfb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The level sensor is about as simple as they can get (so should be very reliable) but the wiring connector can corrode/get dirty.

The level sensor is about as simple as they can get (so should be very reliable) but the wiring connector can corrode/get dirty.

First thing I checked Bendy, as where it's situated I thought it may get manky/corroded, but when apart clean as a clean thing!
I'm hoping it is just the sender and not more complex wiring loom break, so with this in mind I've booked it in to BMW, as I have the insurance warranty as well ( fingers crossed it's covered), like to spanner myself if I can , but electrics is not my bag !

Mine played up giving me the oil can symbol once hot and in neutral, it turned out that one of the metal pins in the male connector was pushing out of its housing when fitted into the plastic joining sleeve during assembly. Couldnt see it until I removed the joining sleeve and tried to assemble the male/female connector, at which point the break in the circuit became obvious.

For diagnosis, uncouple the 2-pin male/female wiring connector then depress the tab on the hollow plastic joining sleeve with a small instrument screwdriver and remove it before temporarily reassembling the male/female. See if the pins move during reassembly.

Mine played up giving me the oil can symbol once hot and in neutral, it turned out that one of the metal pins in the male connector was pushing out of its housing when fitted into the plastic joining sleeve during assembly. Couldnt see it until I removed the joining sleeve and tried to assemble the male/female connector, at which point the break in the circuit became obvious.

For diagnosis, uncouple the 2-pin male/female wiring connector then depress the tab on the hollow plastic joining sleeve with a small instrument screwdriver and remove it before temporarily reassembling the male/female. See if the pins move during reassembly.

Good tip , thanks !

The float is magnetic causing a normally open switch inside the stick to trip closed. An open circuit is recognised by the ECU as a low oil level. A break in the wiring has the same effect as a faulty float unit.

The float is magnetic causing a normally open switch inside the stick to trip closed. An open circuit is recognised by the ECU as a low oil level. A break in the wiring has the same effect as a faulty float unit.

I did try with a section of wire plugged into the female ends (both to continue the circuit) and no oil can icon came up , not a definite test as it's intermittent fault, so could be loom break, as I've mentioned I'm no elasticity expert ;-)

My 08 GSA (41K RM) has also recently started doing exactly the same. I thought it was wiring when it first came on as it takes a while and some rides it doesnt appear at all. But would like to sort it as Im checking the oil level thinking its low. Will follow these tips also, thanks.

My 08 GSA (41K RM) has also recently started doing exactly the same. I thought it was wiring when it first came on as it takes a while and some rides it doesnt appear at all. But would like to sort it as Im checking the oil level thinking its low. Will follow these tips also, thanks.

Well mine's booked in a week on Saturday, so will update when I know the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom