Penny's are in the pot ... New or 2 to 3 yr old?

Uncle8ill

Reaction score
Hi there all.

Been lurking on the forums and will be going shopping for my first bike in the spring...

I have never owned a bike myself but have ridden a few litre bikes. Father and brother had them... had my bike license for nearon 20 yrs just never properly broken it in!! I fell in love with the GS on the Off Road Skills Lvl 1 weekend as I am pretty tall and have never enjoyed the ZZRs and VFRs I rode before ... there is no other option now!!... GS it is.

After browsing the market I see there are some good examples 2 to 3 years old but once I have some experience and training under my belt intend to go 2s up on it.... a dealer I was chatting to was singing the praises of the 2017s suspension and I am now fixated on a 2017 GSA....

The question is .... Should I pursue my fixation or buy 2 to 3 yr old as the suspension will be just as good and the ride will be just as good as the few GSs I have tried. (2017 versions of Rallye, R1200GS TE.... both with high seat)

Guidance appreciated!
Bill

Ps...The African Twin keeps winking at me every time one goes past.... should I be tempted...?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Africa Twin is a very good bike.GS riders will slag them off and no doubt one will be along any minute.Also try a KTM if you haven't already.If you are tall then a 1290R would suit you.

The GS or GSA will do what you ask of it but you will have to put up with recalls and build quality issues,and they are ten a penny despite being rather bland and over-hyped.

Is budget an issue? If not then buy a New GS/GSA....if you need to save £6k buy an Africa Twin... Save a bit more buy a Yam Super Ten.

Also ref Suspension, that's sales speak for "Buy a new one, it will help me hit my quota"

Go for a 2-3 year old bike. When you realise it's not quite what you expected and want to change, you wont have the depreciation hit that buying new would entail.

Thanks all for the replies, most appreciated!! I had thought about a KTM... but ruled it out due to being too quick!!.... maybe I should try one...

Will seriously consider 2-3 yr old bikes.

Cheers!!!

Bill

I'm considering selling my 2013 r1200gs lc te,has lots of extras, including full akro.

PM for more info if its of interest.

I'm considering selling my 2013 r1200gs lc te,has lots of extras, including full akro.

PM for more info if its of interest.
Will be looking to buy in March 2018 as feel I won't use it this season much.

Will be looking to buy in March 2018 as feel I won't use it this season much.

I would say now is the time to buy as the "season" is nearing its end - cheaper bikes that way. Come March, as the "season" is begining, prices go up.........

Anyway, what is all this "season" nonsense. Ride it all year round, heated clothing in the winter makes the weather irrelevent. :thumb2

If you fancy a GS buy a new one with 2 yr warranty then trade in as problems seem to appear after 2 yrs, see LC forum.
Tenere if you want reliability.
Africa twin for looks.
Triumph Tiger for good all round bike.
Decisions decisions eh. GOOD LUCK

talking to a dealer the other day and he was saying that there will be a lot of low milage bike coming onto the market as their pcp plans will be coming to an end so they will be looking to get the new models .
don't know how long this pcp thing has been running.

If you fancy a GS buy a new one with 2 yr warranty then trade in as problems seem to appear after 2 yrs, see LC forum.
Tenere if you want reliability.
Africa twin for looks.
Triumph Tiger for good all round bike.
Decisions decisions eh. GOOD LUCK

Here we go again. GSs are unreliable and flakey.

All except my 45k mile 2013 lc, which has been 100% reliable and rust free

I have just bought a 2015 with 4k on the clock and love it. 2 yrs warranty and breakdown
This will be the kind of thing I will be looking for. I assume it was dealer bought?

The chaps in Nottingham have been super helpful so far and they know I am not parting with cash this year... may well have a chat and get on a watch list!

This will be the kind of thing I will be looking for. I assume it was dealer bought?

The chaps in Nottingham have been super helpful so far and they know I am not parting with cash this year... may well have a chat and get on a watch list!

Yeah dealer bought worth it for me, good service and backup of warranty gives piece of mind.

Sure I could of got cheaper private but it's not for me

Yeah dealer bought worth it for me, good service and backup of warranty gives piece of mind.

Sure I could of got cheaper private but it's not for me
I have been majorly stung with a couple of private car purchases recently so am pretty wary.... although I am sure 100% of the GS community are honest

I have been majorly stung with a couple of private car purchases recently so am pretty wary.... although I am sure 100% of the GS community are honest

Yeah they are, but you cannot predict failures.

Also the dealer near me (about 5 miles) is pretty good, pretty honest, had an open conversation about figures, targets and moving stock. I saw the type of bike, stated what I had and told him to make it affordable. He did and I was happy.

As others have said....on the LC the later the bike the better. Significant improvements to the gearbox and fuelling for 2017 bikes along with a raft of other improvements from earlier upgrades including better heated grips, steering damper, windscreen mounting pins, switch gear, water pumps. Most of this little lot were sorted with 2015/16 bikes.

Also, a few had problems with corroding engines due to poor paint appplication but not hearing too much noise on this for later bikes (2016 on).

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom