Suspension

I went for hyperpro, high/low speed compression, springs for set for my ample weight. Only regret, I should have gone for the purple springs instead of black.

Excellent ride comfort and control, good two up and fully laden.

There is a massive difference between the "less expensive" ohlins and say the ttx range.

Some swear by Wilbers.

Think hard about how you ride your bike, and loading etc. K Tech and mct aren't far away from you and can rebuild/set up your shocks for around £600ish another option to consider.

I've just had Nitron R3 shock and TVT fork cartridges fitted at MCT. Rained horribly on the way home so not really had a chance to test it properly but the bike is so much better composed. It no longer dives as soon as you come off the gas, it stays more level when changing gear rather than rocking and lurching and it's so much smoother, much more comfortable. I'll add more once I've a chance to test it when it's dry.

Nitron NTR for a 04 to 09 GS which fits straight in and raises the rear by 70mm.
60mm fork extenders for the old Africa twin (straight swap). Rear much more plush and doesn't upset the front over the bumps anymore. Nice increase in ground clearance too.

Nitron NTR for a 04 to 09 GS which fits straight in and raises the rear by 70mm.
60mm fork extenders for the old Africa twin (straight swap). Rear much more plush and doesn't upset the front over the bumps anymore. Nice increase in ground clearance too.

Out of interest where did you source the fork extenders?

Out of interest where did you source the fork extenders?
Got it from a guy on eBay £120 I think for the pair. He had three sets, I had one pair and sorted s pair for guy on the r nine t forum. I have a look and see if I can find the ebay seller. He might have one set left.
Jez

Got it from a guy on eBay £120 I think for the pair. He had three sets, I had one pair and sorted s pair for guy on the r nine t forum. I have a look and see if I can find the ebay seller. He might have one set left.
Jez
PM'd you the guys details mate.

Wilbers shock arrived this morning :D

No idea when I am going to find time to fit it :blast

I have to say.....I took time out to read the manual, did the basic suspension changes for my weight, riding style/roads local and I am very happy with the result, no more spinning up the back wheel, nice and grippy now and the whole package now seems very smooth and pliable, yet firm with the power delivered.

.....agree - by resetting the preload and backing off the damping half a turn got the rear shock to perform much better. From previous experience though I know the Wilbers will be in a different league again ;)

Will also be able to raise the ht of the rear end - not that, that is something that would interest you :aidan

Well - rather than watching Strictly Come Dancing managed to get an hour or so in the garage tonight and fitted the Wilbers shock :augie

Old shock came out nice and easy - helped by the use of an Abba stand and a scissor jack under the shaft drive.

Set the adjustable ride Ht to add an another 10mm at the back.

Now just need to find time to ride it and see how it goes - feels good in the garage :D

Cracking job.

Would be very keen to hear how much better it handles as I have the same shock sitting in my garage waiting to get fitted.

Well get it fitted then :D

As long as you have got a stand of some sort to take the weight off the back wheel -it is not that difficult ;)

Well it must have been a short stand if it was quick to change [boom tish!] :D

Looking good now it just needs calibrating I take it?

Well it must have been a short stand if it was quick to change [boom tish!] :D

Looking good now it just needs calibrating I take it?

Gave Revs my weight/riding style and so spring and damping should be pre set - so should not need much playing with but will see once I get a few miles on it ;)

Shock Factory

I have an Urban G/S. Love the bike, hate the standard shock. Way too hard to begin with then it collapses to the bump-stop over high speed bumps.

Put a Shock Factory single adjustable on it and the bike is totally different. A vast improvement. For £350 I'd say it was pretty much Ohlins quality at pretty much Hagon prices.

Double adjustable is also available, with or without a ride height adjuster.

So impressed that I became a UK distributor - see here for details www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk

Cheers, Mark

Back
Top Bottom