Clymer

daylyons

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello boys and girls,
currently restoring an R100 GS and have removed the back end. The rear engine/frame mounting bolt would appear to be a long pin (same as the dreaded and always seized front engine mounting bolt on Guzzis) that runs right through, but what about those two front studs with the nuts on. How do they attach to the motor? And as my ancient Haynes manual does not contain an exploded view of the bike's frame (surely an omission) I am considering purchasing a Clymer. Is it worth £35?

Much obliged

dave

Both the engine mounts are long studs which run thru the motor - ie the "front 2 studs" is in fact one long stud, same as the rear one you have already identified.

In lieu of a workshop manual its always useful to look up one of the online parts fiches which give explded views/placement/orientation info - Rainbow motorcycles one is a decent one.

Both the engine mounts are long studs which run thru the motor - ie the "front 2 studs" is in fact one long stud, same as the rear one you have already identified.

In lieu of a workshop manual its always useful to look up one of the online parts fiches which give explded views/placement/orientation info - Rainbow motorcycles one is a decent one.

For my R80 GS I have the Clymer manual and the Haynes manual. Both have their qualities but the Clymer one is far superior in my opinion. If you are contemplating any serious work it is a great reference .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you one and all. I must say that front bolt/pin does not look like one piece, presumably it runs through a tunnel inside. And I shall be investing in a Clymer.

Cheers again.

Hello boys and girls,
currently restoring an R100 GS and have removed the back end. The rear engine/frame mounting bolt would appear to be a long pin (same as the dreaded and always seized front engine mounting bolt on Guzzis) that runs right through, but what about those two front studs with the nuts on. How do they attach to the motor? And as my ancient Haynes manual does not contain an exploded view of the bike's frame (surely an omission) I am considering purchasing a Clymer. Is it worth £35?

Much obliged

dave

You'll find the BMW front bolt/stud is just as enthusiastic as the Guzzi for seizing in place.

Good luck.

It's a good idea to loosen off the nuts and tap the stud back and forth a few times at least once a year to help stop it from seizing.

You'll find the BMW front bolt/stud is just as enthusiastic as the Guzzi for seizing in place.

Good luck.

It's a good idea to loosen off the nuts and tap the stud back and forth a few times at least once a year to help stop it from seizing.

^^That^^.

Tho I have gone a stage further - I do what Steptoe says but also hoik mine out every couple of years or so and clean them (surpising how much they deteriorate actually) smear them with coppa slip and repalce.

Thanks again men, both local to me and offshore. I had been expecting another struggle like the one I had many years ago with the Guzzi front engine mounting bolt that the original fitter Luigi had failed to grease. With this in mind I obtained some Plus Gas (my dad used to swear by it) using something called The Internet. My attempt to buy the stuff at Halfords in Kingston only produced blank stares from the youf in question. As I did not want squeaky toys or pink bicycle clips I withdrew from the place.

dave

Back
Top Bottom