Ullapool Motorcycles Closed

From their Facebook page

As of today Ullapool Motorcycles Ltd has CEASED TRADING.
My thanks go to all of my customers over the last 8 months but unfortunately goodwill doesn't pay bills. I've saved a lot of people's holidays this year and that will always leave a warm glow in my cockles. Lookout for the forthcoming stock clearance! :)
If you need motorcycle help your options are in Inverness (57 miles), Muir of Ord (45) or Wick (114)

It wasn't a snap decision to close, I'd been thinking about it for weeks.
1. No trade since May, 1 or 2 bikes/week, no cashflow.
2. Too many people looking for something for nothing.
3. NC500 good for camper vans and caravans, bikes came here anyway.
4. Maybe I warned people about tyres too much.
5. I sold my own bike to keep the business going for another month.
6. I'm tired, really really tired.
7. My dog was being neglected.
8. People have talked about the location but everybody who needed me found me. Any other location would have been a lot more expensive and too big.
9. I was trying to run a business not a charity for tight arses.
10. If the cap fits.....
Three days later I'm relieved, my dog is enjoying long walks and I'm keeping busy extricating myself from leases and such like. To summarise, too many ***** and not enough customers.

Interesting point about the NC500. B and B owners dislike it, as do shop and restaurant owners (probably not all of them but many we spoke with). Motorhome users contribute little to the local economy, was their complaint. They bring their own accommodation, food and drink, so spend little while still adding to the congestion. Not my words, but those of locals we met on our tour in July.

Always sad to hear of a bike shop closing and a bloody long way for locals in Ullapool to visit a bike shop

Campervan owners if given parking in the right places will use the local facilities.
In France and other European countries you get Aires in town/city centres.
I'm not one to cook when in the van.
As for Ulapool motorcycles, if he was struggling for work then surely the dug got plenty of his time.
As a one man mechanic businesses it's sad to see him fall.

I think this is (was) Simmo's place? I knew him when he lived in my part of the world. Decent chap, I'm sad it didn't work out for him.

Interesting point about the NC500. B and B owners dislike it, as do shop and restaurant owners (probably not all of them but many we spoke with). Motorhome users contribute little to the local economy, was their complaint. They bring their own accommodation, food and drink, so spend little while still adding to the congestion. Not my words, but those of locals we met on our tour in July.

Always sad to hear of a bike shop closing and a bloody long way for locals in Ullapool to visit a bike shop

Sorry he has had to close.

Weird how your chats revealed such a dislike for it....we spent 10 days up there in the van in May, camped one night, hostels and B and B the rest. Everyone we spoke to in shops, supermarkets, the B and Bs and hostels, campsite, petrol stations etc had good words for the revitalisation of the whole area down to the NC500. We saw small supermarkets with campervans parked outside, larger ones with car parks with half a dozen of em doing some shopping.....:nenau

Another problem is now all the bins have been removed so a lot of rubbish is being left as well as human excrement nappies etc. as you would expect it is at all the spots loved and cherished by all.

Another problem is now all the bins have been removed so a lot of rubbish is being left as well as human excrement nappies etc. as you would expect it is at all the spots loved and cherished by all.

Bins have been removed and the lazy twats can't be bothered to find others.

Removing bins does not cause rubbish to be left. C*nts cause rubbish to be left.

Totally agree but is the other bit that is even more disgusting

Slightly off topic but I'm not having the b&bs not liking the promotion of the nc500, try getting a room with little or no notice up that from April to October and you'll see how quiet they are. As for the campervans, I don't know for sure but if I had one chances are I'd bring little in to the economy of the area other than the petrol stations.

Slightly off topic but I'm not having the b&bs not liking the promotion of the nc500, try getting a room with little or no notice up that from April to October and you'll see how quiet they are. As for the campervans, I don't know for sure but if I had one chances are I'd bring little in to the economy of the area other than the petrol stations.

They will be loving it, never known people in the tourist trade to hate tourists.

Mind you Scottish people don't need much to hate their English rulers.

I live just outside Ullapool on Loch Broom

Just got back from week's fishing on the R Naver to learn the news of Ian's business having to close, what a pisser. He is a nice guy, helpful and willing to tackle anything to rescue someone's holiday, he will be sorely missed.

On the subject of the NC 500 in most locals and crofters opinion is a MAJOR pain in the arse, due principally to camper vans who bring little if any commercial value to the area, overnight park in the streets of Ullapool preventing access to locals, many empty their toilets in our laybys and burns, block up parking with their over night stops, the once a year driver is a f*cking menace on the single track roads, overtaking etiquette is lost on these people, convoys of these vehicles make emergency services access a nightmare, on and on, something will have to be done. I think we are suffering the same problem as Skye.

M

They will be loving it, never known people in the tourist trade to hate tourists.

Mind you Scottish people don't need much to hate their English rulers.

Have you personally experience such hate toward you or are you just trotting out what you've heard the big lads say ?
As an Englishman living in Scotland for 25 years, I have found, almost without exception, that the Scots do not hate the English for being English.
They hate English people when they are pricks.

Have you personally experience such hate toward you or are you just trotting out what you've heard the big lads say ?
As an Englishman living in Scotland for 25 years, I have found, almost without exception, that the Scots do not hate the English for being English.
They hate English people when they are pricks.

Yes through personal experience. To be honest though it's vary rarely the ones living in Scotland ;)

Motorhome users contribute little to the local economy, was their complaint. They bring their own accommodation, food and drink, so spend little while still adding to the congestion. Not my words, but those of locals we met on our tour in July.

100% true, who could argue with that ?

Back
Top Bottom